“Among the Few in Miami That Don't Disappoint” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Complimentary 3rd Night
Ranked #8 of 129 hotels in Miami
New York City, New York
“Among the Few in Miami That Don't Disappoint”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

In a city of "hip" hotels filled with noise, loud music, breaches of privacy, B-list celebrities (and worse) and expensive prices for cheaply constructed buildings, the Mandarin Oriental is a welcome exception. I've stayed here over 15 times over the past decade but never wrote a review. But it's time to give praise where it's due.

First, the location -- on an "island" across a short causeway from the heart of the Brickell business district, the hotel has beautiful views in all directions. The rooms are spacious, beautifully furnished, extremely comfortable, and with true state-of-the-art support for all of your electronics -- there's a well placed single large panel in the desk area with plugs for chargers, ethernet cables, 3 prong plugs -- everything you can imagine.

All the rooms have floor-to-ceiling glass facing the water and city views, balconies, large bathrooms and abundant closet space. I've been in everything from their basic rooms to suites -- all were gracious and comfortable.

The two restaurants are excellent, and the buffet breakfast in the Cafe Simbal is exceptionally abundant, everything of highest quality, and with exceptionally broad choices.

The pool is a beautiful infinity pool overlooking the bay with outdoor shower and jacuzzi facilities, and the large nearby beach area is quiet, calm and well serviced by staff who are gracious, helpful and unintrusive. The spa is elegant and the exercise room is very large and as good as the most extravagant private facility.

All of these types of choices and preferences are matters of personal choice, but I've tried more than my share of South Beach "hip" places and they were uniformly bad compared to the Mandarin. And because Miami is so spread out, you'll need a car or taxi (as you need no matter where you stay), but the Mandarin is actually very central and equidistant by car to Coconut Grove, Coral Gables, South Beach and Key Biscayne.

As chain hotels go, this is as good as any in the US. As a very discerning and experienced traveler with opinions (see my other reviews!), this one deserves its reputation and for the quality of rooms, location, food and service, is fairly priced.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

1,126 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
nj
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

Front desk was very accommodating, concierge gave great information, and to top it off, we had trouble getting a cab to go to the airport and the hotel staff used one of their own Escalade and drive us o the airport right away. We will be back, they are great at what they do.

Room Tip: Balcony room was very nice.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Porto Alegre
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

Just stayed for three nights at the hotel. Great staff, beautiful places all over, quite spacious rooms and bathrooms.

The room is very nice, with a balcony with an amasing view of Brickel area. The two restaurants, Azul and Cafe Sambal were wonderful (and our waiter at Azul... Bradle...maybe.... was so gentle and funny... made our time there better).

I misses two things for a five star hotel: no coffe or tea on room (I really enjoy a coffe on hotels rooms!)... and no chocolate or any other amenity on turn down....

The spa is gourgeous, even if you just use the sauna and steam room, is a must visit. The pool area is great to relax in the morning or after a shopping day...

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Chippenham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Mandarin Oriental Miami for 6 nights and what a great place to spend 6 nights in Miami. The room was huge and modern with spectacular views of the city, bathroom had separate shower and bath, the room was cleaned twice a day. We had breakfast at Café Sambal most days the choice was excellent and the quality of food very good. The staff were all very accommodating and we received exceptional service at poolside a special thank you to Mihai the pool and beach manager for looking after us. There is a free trolley service just outside the hotel that will take you to variety of restaurants and local shops. We didn’t take a car but used taxi – the taxi from the airport to the hotel cost just under $30 and that was during rush hour, a little less on the return. The only slight issue we had was with a late checkout, they offered us a late checkout until 2PM complimentary. We asked could we pay extra until 5pm which was refused they offered us 4pm at a cost of $100 an hour !!! a little excessive I think for 2 hours especially considering the hotel was virtually empty.

We could honestly not fault this hotel. We loved everything about it and I will definitely stay here again next time we visit Miami....

Room Tip: high floor with city view
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Miami Beach, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

Well, My family and I went for a 3 night getaway to the Mandarin. It seemed like a fair price and a fun thing to do. Well, here was the thing. The room was pretty small... and the service was lousy. Let me tell you why. When we asked for our room to be made up while we were away for a couple hours, they said of course. We were out a couple hours and the room wasn't made up. Then we called again. They said of course again. And we went back out for a few hours to get lunch. Yet, when we returned the room wasn't made up!! Now, if you want to get a bite at "Cafe Sambal" that's another story. (It was amazing) But, do not stay here. The grounds are nice, and so is "Cafe Sambal" but nothing else.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
MOResponse, Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Miami, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your recent review of Mandarin Oriental, Miami on Trip Advisor. Your constructive comments are very important to us.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your dining experience in Café Sambal; it is truly one of the best sushi restaurants in Miami having been recently voted top five by Passport Miami in one of their recent readers poll.

Regarding the rest of your stay back in May, I am saddened to hear that your experience fell short and that you felt the room was small. We have many different category rooms all of which are on par in size with other luxury choices in the Miami. Please ask a reservation agent for more options and prices that may better fulfill your expectations. Pertaining to the lapse in service by housekeeping, we sincerely apologize that the room was not cleaned in the timeframe you requested. We do our best to accommodate all service requests. This is definitely an isolated incident that has been addressed with the housekeeping management to ensure it does not re-occur.

I hope you will give us another opportunity and request that you contact the Executive Office for your future reservation. I will ensure you have a seamless and enjoyable visit.

Greg Nunez
Hotel Manager
Des Moines, IA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

I visited the Mandarin Oriental for a business meeting but the place could not have been less business-like! And, that's a good thing! When you enter the lobby, you see straight over Miami Bay. The entire facility feels like a spa no matter where you are. Subtle lighting, music, and extremely polite and respectful staff. If I hadn't had a conversation with all of them, I would have sworn I'd entered the Stepford Hotel! The staff not only remember your name, as another reviewer stated, they remembered my drink order from one day to the next. When you're not morning coffee drinker, but more of a Diet Coke gal, that little touch took me over the top. The rooms are fantastic - at the meeting, we had a competition to see who had the best room and view. No one won as no one lost - all are fantastic. Loved the pool, walking path around the island and access to the Brickell district with great food and shops. If I ever go to Miami again, I know where I'm staying. Frankly, I know I'll never hesitate to stay at any Mandarin Oriental hotel - no matter where it is. Have a great time!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

This was my third stay at the Mandarin Oriental hotel in Miami. During my last stay this past weekend, I had a very bad experience. When I went to open the bed, there were two big brown stains on it, disguting. This is something you wouldn´t expect from a hotel of this category. I spoke with guest services and the concierge and the mattress and linens were changed and a note and chocolates were sent to my room, but the feeling I got will not go away.

Needless to say, I will never go back to that hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
MOResponse, Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Miami, responded to this review, October 12, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

We sincerely apology for the lapse in service you experienced during your stay. I can assure you this is not the norm which can be supported by the many favorable trip advisor comments and your own stay on previous visits. We are fully committed to ensuring that our guests receive the highest levels of service and I can assure you that our hotel maintains very stringent policies and procedures in place pertaining to cleanliness. We have addressed this occurrence with the appropriate department to ensure this does not re-occur.

Greg Nuñez
Hotel Manager

Been to Mandarin Oriental, Miami? Share your experiences!