“Lovely hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 130 hotels in Miami
PA
“Lovely hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2011

This hotel was lovely and a nice break from the swarming bustle of Miami. The rooms were well appointed and clean. There were a few things that were off-putting though. First, there was a blind that was meant as a privacy screen between the tub and the room. The screen was short about an inch so we had to pile up towels for our length of stay for privacy, we mentioned it to staff who said they would send someone up but either they didn't show or couldn't fix it but either way, it was not addressed so the towels were there the whole time. This wasn't a big deal but it wasn't nothing either since my entire family loves a bubbly tub. Second, the thing that makes it desirable (being cut off) also makes seeing the rest of Miami very pricey as a car is needed everywhere, everywhere charges for parking and nothing is easily within walking distance. Third, and I don't know if this is a Mimi thing or particular to this hotel but they were very grabby about money, almost on the verge of seeming beggarly which was just icky. To get to our room the desk person walked us up = tip, the bellmen (2) then brought us up and gave a tour (2 tips) and every little thing in between felt like a tip was expected which meant we called as little as possible. Also, EVERY luxury in the room seemed to come attached to an exorbitant price-tag, so much so that we didn't dare touch the chocolates which may or may not have been complimentary because I was afraid of getting a $50 bill for them LOL. The vibe was just way too grabby. I suppose one could write this off as a luxury hotel thing but we spend a great deal of time in upscale places everywhere for business and pleasure, NYC being a fav spot, and never before was I so uneasy and I didn't like the choice of feeling of being either cheap or ripped off. I guess this place is fine for people with hundreds dripping out of their pockets unnoticed but for families and normal people, well I'd skip it next time around, the vibe was just 'off'. Beds could have been a little bigger too.

Room Tip: If you want luxury then I'm sure all of them are equally lovely.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family

1,101 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011

As part of a recent business trip to Miami, I was fortunate enough to stay at the Mandarin in Miami, FL. This is a beautiful in a great location on the water.

Because I was participating in different events, I didn't experience much of the service. However, when I did it was always exceptional.

Upon arrival I checked in at a very friendly front desk. They upgraded my room because of the size of our group. I was given a very large, well appointed room that looked out over the inlet and at downtown Miami. The bathroom was exceptionally large. it also opened up to the living area near the bed to allow the view to be appreciated during a bath or simply while getting ready. You could also close off this view from the bathroom with blinds. The bathroom also had a separate shower and private toilet (not just in the middle of the bathroom).

The king sized bed was very comfortable and offered extra blankets if needed. None were....

They had a large HD TV and a mini bar. Unfortunately, they didn't offer coffee in the room. They also provided internet access for a fee. I used my wireless card, so I can't attest to the speed.

The restaurant offer a separate bar and numerous lounge areas. I only visited the restaurant downstairs for lunch one day. It is largely Asian food, but was quite expensive. They offer outdoor seating which sits close to the water. It was very nice.

They also have a private beach area which is also nice. You can choose the pool or the beach in which to sun and swim.

This is a really nice hotel that i would definitely stay at personally or professionally. I don't think you will be disappointed.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor to take advantage of the views from either side of the hotel.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Coventry, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2011

I stayed with my wife here as part of our honeymoon. I had previously spent 4 nights in The Epic (which was located 5 minutes away). Everything at Epic was outstanding so Mandarin had a lot to live up to.

Check in was a breeze very well organised. The porter showed us our room and enquired about our stay at Epic. He stated we would be very happy with our room.

Room:
We had the Veranda Deluxe. The room was beautiful. Very large a comfortable bed. The view was amazing. We were on the 6th floor and overlooked the bay with the Miami skyline behind it. The furniture was really modern with an oriental twist. The room had a single sink (it would have been brilliant if they had a double sink). The balcony was a reasonable size although not secluded as they were seperated by translucent screens and you could see into part of your next door rooms and vice versa.

Hotel:

The hotel was very quiet. It is very business orientated. The location is nice on a little island. It has it's own private beach with a variety of furniture which was really nice to relax in. The lobby was great.

Staff / Service:

The staff service was generally excellent. We had twice a day room freshening. The concierge (Andrew) was brilliant. He made an excellent suggestion where we could eat within walking distance (Truluck's - excellent restaurant). The staff are always willing to help and are professional. The only incident I had was with regards to my suitcase being broken. The situation was aggravated by the fact the bellhop did not get anyone else out to fix it. On checkout we were charged for the minibar we did not used but in fairness the situation was dealt with quickly.

Overall the hotel has a unique ambience and are very professional. It's just the one incident that stops me from giving this a 5/5.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Rahway, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2011

I stayed in the hotel over the weekend. We arrived near midnight on Friday night. There was NOBODY out there to pick our laguage and we had to wait for a check in. The front desk person took a long time to find our reservation adn initially gave me impression that we do not have it at all. The room service was prompt but the menue after hours is very very limitted especially if you are vegetarian or have any dietery restrictions. Internet in the room not free. The interior of the room is ok but there was dust everywhere. The hotel charged us additional money (>200$) to overstay just 4 extra hours

Room Tip: Go to another hotel
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
MOResponse, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Miami, responded to this review, December 14, 2011
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your recent review of Mandarin Oriental, Miami on Trip Advisor. I sincerely apologize for the lapse in services you experienced.

With regards to the In Room Dining menu, please let us know of any dietary restrictions or preferences you may have and we will make a note of it in your guest file for your future stay.

We do understand that some hotels offer free Internet access, but the service offered is limited (low bandwidth, lack of security, pool signal) and would be unacceptable in a luxury hotel. The Internet is more than communications to our guests – whether they are using it to bank online, check investments, book travel, check information or their emails, we assure you that we will continue to invest in this technology to offer our guests the quality of service with the performance and security that you would expect of Mandarin Oriental. It is an important service offering that we consider of value to those that use it.

Due to the occupancy levels of the hotel and to ensure rooms are available to incoming guests, there is a fee charged for extended check outs.

Thank you again for taking the time to let us know of your visit and we hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back.

Jorge Gonzalez
Area Vice President &
Ottawa, Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2011

Wonderful stay at the Mandarin. I was a bit concerned after reading a few bad reports regarding service, but I was completely blown away at the attentive service I received. I am not a wealthy person, throwing money around everywhere in order to get good service either...they just provided it, over and over. It was a great stay and I would absolutely stay there again...and recommend it to anyone interested in staying somewhere that is away from the craziness of South Beach.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2011

Stayed on business in October. Very good hotel as you would expect from the Mandarin group. nice location on Brick Key which has a decent running route round the complex and its own little beach part.

Service excellent.

Only criticism would be size of hotel bar which is very small and tucked away in the corner of the main lobby, almost as an after thought.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Sarasota, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2011

Fun and original. Great place. The pool scene is one of the best in Miami. The staff is friendly and beautiful. The rooms are like works of art.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Mandarin Oriental, Miami? Share your experiences!