“Housekeeping” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Guayaquil
“Housekeeping”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2011

Have stayed several times at the Mandarin, all the previous experiences were wonderful. This last one, however, I found the house keeping was not up to standard, one day there were no towels, another day there was no blankets on the bed, another they failed to clean the toilet. Apparently the floor supervisor was absent or was not doing the job.
The staff is extremely friendly and helpful, the hotel has a beautiful location and wonderful facilities.

Room Tip: Bay view rooms are great
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
MOResponse, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Miami, responded to this review, October 26, 2011
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your patronage to Mandarin Oriental, Miami and for your recent review on Trip Advisor. Your constructive comments are very important to us.

I sincerely apologize for the deficiencies in service experienced with our Housekeeping staff. I can offer no excuses for these service lapses, only my assurance that I will work very diligently to take the necessary measures to bring these up to the service levels we take pride in.

Thank you for your valued feedback. Although, we regret that we did not fully meet your expectations on this visit, we value and respect your opinion and hope we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back soon.

Area Vice President &

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (229)
Fairfield CT
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2011

I had one night to spend in the Miami area after a frenetic week in South America. What I was looking for was a 5 star experience for a night of relaxation before flying off the next day to my next destination. I researched via TripAdvisor the other 5 star properties in the area , the Four Seasons and a few Ritz properties. I choose the Mandarin because of it’s Spa and also because I could choose a room with a balcony.
Check in was seamless and gracious, just what I expected, and I was upgraded to a King Suite. I happily accepted the upgrade and was shown the room. It was not clean. The room had not been vacuumed, large bits of pastry from someones breakfast were on the carpet, as well as large greasy handprints all over the desk. The room was more than well worn, multiple stains on the carpet, scuffs on the baseboards, stains on the couch. On the small balcony outside, was a dead sparrow. While I know it’s not the Mandarin’s fault that a bird decided to die outside on the balcony, it had obviously been there for a while – which I think highlights a lack of attention to detail. This was room 816. I was switched to room 1616- which was in much better shape, but still did have some stains on the couch. I went downstairs to Café Sambal for a light sushi lunch, which was very nice. Then I continued to the Spa, and while I had a lovely hot stone massage, and the staff was very nice, the 5 star rating for the spa baffles me. It is fine, clean, but is nothing special. Especially the “relaxation room” where you wait for your therapist had the distinct feeling of a nail salon rather than a high end spa.
Back in my room, unfortunately it was time to do some work, I open my computer to log on to the internet only to see a window pop up that informed me I would be charged to use the wireless. What?! How can any hotel in this day and age try and charge for wireless – I think it’s just a terrible rip off. I called the front desk and the person I talked to actually told me it’s normal for a 5 star resort to charge for it ! You have to be joking. I have stayed in multiple 5 star hotels this year alone and have never paid for it, and never would. I will not stay at the Fairmont chain for this very reason. I was give a code to use “ this one time” so I did not pay for it. I’m sorry, but this charge alone would probably dissuade me from staying here again. I run my own business, and need to use the internet at all times. I will pay $500 for a great room, but I’m not going to be nickel and dimed for every little thing. Not good business practice.
Onto dinner and a movie- but no movies to rent. Hmmm. There is HBO and Showtime, but I found this odd. I ordered room service and it arrived incorrectly – ( and it was a grilled cheese with fries! ). Didn’t bother to bring it to their attention, I was tired and wanted to eat. Called the in room dining to remove the table - after an hour and a half no-one had arrived to collect it. I wanted to go to sleep so I put it outside the room. Imagine my dismay when at 11:40 pm !! the ringing phone woke me up - with in room dining enquiring whether my table had been picked up!!! In what universe would it be ok to call a guest room at that time of night to ask that?
I’m glad I called the front desk to tell them not to allow any other calls thru to my room, as I received a message at 6.10 in the morning asking what time I wanted breakfast?!
Next morning upon check out- I was eventually asked how I liked my stay. I said it was ok, but there were some problems. The lady at the front desk listened to the problems and said, I’m very sorry about that. That’s it! I was looking to leave the Mandarin feeling refreshed and ready for my next trip. Instead I left feeling annoyed and tired. As the title says- not what I was hoping for! I won't be back.

Room Tip: I would ask for a higher floor
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your recent review of Mandarin Oriental, Miami on Trip Advisor. I sincerely apologize for the deficiencies in service you experienced during your stay at Mandarin Oriental, Miami. Your valued feedback is very much appreciated and we have regrouped with the team to review the correct standards of service and delivery to ensure such lapses are not encountered again.

With regards to the Internet, some hotels do offer free Internet access, but the service offered is limited (low bandwidth, lack of security, pool signal) which we understand but would be unacceptable in a luxury hotel. The Internet is more than communications to our guests – whether they are using it to bank online, check investments, book travel, check information or their emails, we assure you that we will continue to invest in this technology to offer our guests the quality of service with the performance and security that you would expect of Mandarin. It is an important service offering that we consider of value to those that use it.

The hotel is in the process of installing a complete high definition movie program to all guest rooms and suites. It will be fully installed by December.

Thank you again for your constructive comments and request that you contact the Executive Office to discuss further how we can turn around the series of events that you experienced. We apologize your first impression at the hotel was not a memorable one but hope you will afford us another opportunity in the future with a return visit.

Copenhagen
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2011

Clean and spacious rooms, very nice bathroom (be aware that the bathroom is connected with the room. It is possible to pull down a curtain/separator). My room was overlooking the channel and Miami. There are some good facilities such as fitness center (no charge) with complementary fruits and water, two nice restaurants, pool area, bar etc.
Very helpful and attentive staff.
In walking distance to restaurants and shops, you just have to cross the bridge.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Scarsdale, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2011

My family and I loved this hotel's large, adjoining rooms; nice pool; good beach; excellent spa and fitness center; morning coffee in the lobby; and good shops. We loved Cafe Sambal, which had a nice balance on the menu between integrity and variety. The hotel's overall design, menus, shops etc. have more coherence than most properties do. I rate the hotel lower than I'd like, however, on account of service quality. First, the door and bell staff seem unusually aggressive about soliciting tips for even the most incidental task. More seriously, a billing issue stunned me. When I checked rates to consider the MO over another hotel, the hotel's sales rep gave me a clear quote for "both" rooms. My corporate travel agent made the booking, accepting the same quote from a different agent for "both" rooms. Even after I grudgingly paid double -- one bill for "each" room -- the front desk agent refused to acknowledge the hotel's role in the mix-up, despite agreeing that no one would have booked my rate given the availability of a lower corporate rate and other lower promotions for the weekend.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
MOResponse, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Miami, responded to this review, October 25, 2011
Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback regarding your recent stay at Mandarin Oriental, Miami. It is only through this kind of constructive comments that we can take the necessary steps to make sure that our guests have an enjoyable and seamless experience.

I regret this was not the case on your recent stay. Please accept my sincerest apologies for the inconveniences you encountered throughout your visit. I was most disappointed to read that our colleagues were not attentive to your needs. We can offer no excuses for these service lapses, only my assurance that I will work very diligently to correct the deficiencies you encountered.

Regarding the room rate, our understanding is the rate was confirmed upon the booking stage per room but please contact the Executive Office to research further.

Again, our apologies for the disappointing stay. We hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back and will ensure a delightful and seamless stay on your next visit to Mandarin Oriental, Miami. Please do not hesitate to contact me if I may be of assistance to you in the future.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2011

This hotel is a haven of peace and tranquility. We stayed 2 nights post cruise and enjoyed the rest and relaxtion. Beautiful executive room with fabulous views and very comfortable. Service was all we expected from this standard of hotel, attentive but not intrusive. Nothing to fault.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Kingston, Jamaica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2011

Best hotel in Miami for excellent service. Location is perfect so you can escape South Beach.
Both restaurants were very good and the spa is excellent.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Bilbao, Spain
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2011

I was in Miami on a two-day business trip from Spain and chose the Mandarin Oriental as a well-appointed, well-situated hotel. The hotel itself is indeed in a very good location, the rooms are well appointed and staff are polite and attentive. The views both towards downton and the sea are very impressive. Breakfast is plentiful and of good quality and served by very attentive and kind staff.

On the first night of my stay, after a gruelling 12-hour trip from Spain and an arrival at some 4:30 a.m. my local Spanish time, I went to bed to get some sleep, much needed taking also into account I had meetings to attend to the following morning. At 2 in the morning however I was woken up by the room TV which had turned itself on at full blast. I switched it off, and noticed, by the sounds of it, that the same seemed to have happened in other nearby rooms. I took a read of the TV set instructions but they didn`t include anything specific regarding Sleep function or similar. I went back to bed. Two hours later, at 4 in the morning, the TV went off again and again I had to switch it off.

The next morning I reported this incident at front desk, as well as the fact that the ipod deck was not working. A technician came to the room, fixed the ipod deck and claimed to have fixed the TV as well, saying that it was indeed some active Sleep function. I told the technician that I had noticed other TVs going off in other rooms as well, but he did not seem to be too concerned or ready to take my comment on board. In any event, I stressed to front desk that I did NOT wish this to happen on my second, and last, night.

So when the TV went off at full blast at 2:45 a.m. the following night, I was not amused. In fact, my annoyance led to no more sleep for me that night.

I of course reported this matter the following morning, actually talked to management and received a complimentary 19:00 late checkout. Yes, it was a nice gesture but I would much have rather preferred a night`s sleep. That`s what you are supposed to get at a hotel.

My advice to Mandarin Oriental is that ALL room facilities must be thoroughly inspected before a room is made available to a customer; just in the same way as someone makes sure that the sheets are clean and the lightbulbs are working, they should ensure that all devices are working properly. And of course when a malfunction goes undetected and is reported by a customer, they should ensure that it is completely and absolutely dealt with, especially when it is this serious.

And this piece of advice comes at the cost of losing this customer.

By the way, my room was 1117; I would advice to try and stay away from it, I wouldn`t run the risk.

• Stayed October 2011
MOResponse, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Miami, responded to this review, October 10, 2011
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your recent review of Mandarin Oriental, Miami on Trip Advisor. I sincerely apologize for the series of events that took place with the television set in your room. This is the first time we have had such an occurrence and I regret the inconvenience and frustration it caused to you. If you could contact the Hotel Executive Office we would like to further discuss this unfortunate incident. You may call (305) 913 8386.

We do appreciate your comments and hope you will afford us another opportunity with a return visit in the future.

Area Vice President &

Been to Mandarin Oriental, Miami? Share your experiences!