“Weekend trip to remember!” 5 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   500 Brickell Key Drive, Miami, FL 33131 (Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #4 of 112 Hotels in Miami
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Weekend trip to remember!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2011

In march I surprised my girlfriend with a trip to Miami to pop the question. We were greeted by every employee in the lobby upon arrival and the checkin was very fast and easy. I had planned to propose shortly after arrival and asked the front desk to send up champagne at 8 pm. At exactly that time it arrived chilled with glasses and complimentary chocolate and strawberries.

We ate at both restaurants that weekend and both were wonderful although pricey. Azul was delicious upscale dining and very quiet. That night I was disappointed to find that the hotel didn't have a single cigar cutter to be found. The next day we had a message from the concierge and a new cutter was brought to our room and we were told it was on the house because of the inconvenience.

The pool area is small but very nice and staff are very attentive.

Mary bricked village is a nice walk away and has some very nice shops and lunch spots. The only thing that could have been better was the price. It is an expensive hotel all around but if you have the means it is worth it. We've already decided that Miami and the MO will be our 1st anniversary trip. We can't wait to come back!

• Stayed March 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (238)
Houston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2011

I stayed with my wife to celebrate my birthday. The staff bent over backwards to ensure my stay was perfect. We had a terrific suite with a great view and superb amenities. The staff was always there when you needed them and greeted you as a valued guest. Azul was the perfect place for the dinner. The meal was wonderful and the staff impeccable. We expect a lot from an Mandarin and Miami exceeded our expectations.

Room Tip: A Biscayne Bay view is best
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Sao Paulo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2011

The staff do make this hotel work as expected of an M.O. Very expensive valet parking works, concierge is effective, housekeeping and room service are really special - they did attend to our requests promptly and attempting their best, the he gym is ok... The only problems were the mattress and the overnight parking rate (US$ 35/night). Though they might have changed the mattress if we had thought of asking for it, my husband and I did get very sore backs after the 6 nights we spent at this hotel. Very conveniently located for jogging lovers.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
NYC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2011

Despite an outstanding staff , the Mandarin misses making my recommended list.
It starts with Azul, the signature restaurant at this hotel There is something amiss when the menu in their featured restaurant is so odd and unappealing. the restaurant was unable to accommodate a 8:30 reservation but could squeeze me at 8:00... only to enter a restaurant that was only 1/2 full and remained that way for the duration of my stay. The menu suggested a chef who had lost their way and was trying to offer 'inventive' cuisine to a narrow group of clients. We were hard pressed to find a single item to choose from and that has never happened top me anywhere, in any setting. After searching and considering options , we politely departed without eating.

We sought other choices ...ultimately to land in their Cafe a casual dining site where at least the menu offered options; although all with a singular Asian flair. The music noise level was unacceptable and ill suited for conversation and if we had not found such an accommodating manager - we would have landed up in our room using room service. Avoiding the restaurants, we took our breakfasts nearby and traveled 10 minutes to eat lunches and dinners in Coral Gables-a far better choice.

Accommodation were upscale but not warm or truly luxurious. Impossibly uncomfortable lounge chair that really offered no option for the second person in the room except the desk chair. Mattress was fine yet the pillows were all of the very soft type which left one of us uncomfortable throughout the night.

The singular and most redeeming feature in the hotel is the staff. They are clearly among the best trained and pleasant team I have experienced. But for them, I would have checked out after one night.

Recommendation -ask the concierge how to get to nearby Mary Brickell village - not great just good but at least there are multiple dining options.

Lastly, when a premier hotel asks a guests opinion.. never answer with a stock form letter. Better to say nothing ...then to treat a comment with a standard reply after a guest takes the time to offer their comments...take the time to reply with a personal note. Unless the number of negative comments is so overwhelming , the honor of a personal reply from a member of senior management would be more suitable to a hotel seeking premier status.

Room Tip: Seek a room further down the floor to get a larger balcony and on the side opposite the arrival port...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
MOResponse, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Miami, responded to this review, July 11, 2011
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor. We apologize that your visit did not fully meet your expectations, as we strive to ensure all our guest have a genuinely delightful experience.

I regret that the dining options in Azul and Café Sambal were not to your satisfaction. Azul’s new chef Joel Huff joined the restaurant at the end of March and is introducing his new menu to our guests. Your constructive comments are very important to us and will be shared with our culinary team. Café Sambal serves Asian fare which is often varied to give our guests a variety of cuisines from the region. In regards to the music, we offer a variety of options for our guests, which changes continuously.

I apologize the guest room did not meet your expectations. The hotel underwent an extensive renovation last year with the original interior designer Jan Clausen directing the redesign of the hotel guest rooms and suites. Please let us know in advance your pillow preferences and we will arrange to have it placed in your guestroom upon arrival.

Our Concierge offers a variety of restaurant options in the Brickell area and surrounding neighborhoods. I will address your concerns with our Chef Concierge.

Lastly, our Guest Relations Manager often times contacts our guests after their departure, which is then communicated to my office for further follow up.

Thank you again for your valued feedback and kind comments about our staff. Although, we regret that you did not enjoy your visit, we value and respect your opinion and hope you will reconsider our hotel for a future stay.

Jorge Gonzalez
Area Vice President &
Baltimore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2011

Chose hotel based on a friend's recommendation and backed up by Trip Advisor rating. Have stayed in many 5 star hotels....Mandarin right up there. Liked the Zen ambiance, view from my room which was Bay and Downtown view. We were 4 including 2 daughters 14 and 19. Asked for a rollaway bed, came right away...no extra charge for being in a Double with the rollaway...unlike the Ritz Carlton which seem to nickel and dime customers. Service whether room, concierge, pool, or beach were superb, but particular attention to the valet parking...super guys...didn't like the cost of the daily valet charge, but is actually par for the course in 5 Star Miami hotels. We were there 4th of July and had a wonderful view of the harbor front fireworks from Brickell Island, where the hotel is. I admit though did not try the food..thought pretty pricey.

• Stayed July 2011
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2011

Perfect place for peace and quiet but still right in the city. Situated on a little island means no traffic noise or pollution. pool area is lovely, small but immaculate and pool staff are attentive and come around with lovely little snacks and smoothie tasters in the afternoon. within easy reach of south beach too which is great.
i stayed in a junior suite and it was one of the best rooms ive stayed in, worth the money!
overall a great hotel and really enjoyed the stay. x

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
new york, ny
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2011

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay here. The property was just beautiful and there were so many extra little touches that were appreciated. I was skeptical about the location and lack of beach access, but I actually liked staying in Brickell rather than South Beach. I also didn't mind the "private beach" area at all and loved the pool so I didn't miss the true beach. My only complaint is about the lack of available food options (I didn't feel like there were enough, especially when taking into consideration how far removed we were from Brickell). I think the hotel would really do well to provide some kind of shuttle to Mary Brickell Village. Other than that though, it was fabulous!

• Stayed June 2011

Been to Mandarin Oriental, Miami? Share your experiences!