“Great Night for the Newlyweds!” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Complimentary 3rd Night
Ranked #8 of 129 hotels in Miami
Miami, Florida
“Great Night for the Newlyweds!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2011

My husband and I live in downtown Miami (Brickell area) and he booked a night at the Mandarin Oriental the night of our wedding. I am not a big fan of staying in a hotel only a few minutes from where we live because, really, why spend the money? But the Mandarin was so different and unlike any hotel I've ever been in. And the room and bathroom were HUGE! We had a balcony that faced the waterway leading out to Biscayne Bay and the view at night was gorgeous (and that's coming from a couple who has a similar view every day, since we live downtown). The hotel was quiet and breakfast was great (although I personally thought it was a little pricey). I'd definitely recommend this hotel for visitors and locals alike!

1,104 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2011

Went to spend a few nights here while on vacation during holiday time. The hotel was very nice but the location was far worse than we ever imagined. We were aware that it was not near the beach, although the pictures on the site of the bay could be perceived as misleading. We were unaware, however, that it was not in walking distance of restaurants, shops... It is in the middle of a business district. We left, moved to the ritz and felt much better about the situation. Note that the ritz is kid-friendly and the mandarin is not at all.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2011

We stayed for four days and it was My second experience at a 5 star hotel..the vallets guys were unbelievable prompt professional friendly service. The hotel and the room perfect. Love the big screen tv and surround sound in the room. The tranquil ambience thru out the hotel I loved. We had our dog with us and we truly felt special and not like the dog was a nuisance for the hotel staff. Toy in the room for our dog and food. Bachi our dog was in doggy heaven. I truly felt like a celebrity at the hotel. The staff at the Mandarin Miami should be commended for there excellent service.

• Stayed February 2011
sydney
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2011

I chose the Mandarin Miami based on the positive reviews on Tripadvisor and my previous positive experiences with Mandarin Hotels elsewhere (particularly San Francisco) but was disappointed with the Miami property.

A major issue is the location which is inconvenient and very isolated- you almost feel marooned on the island with very little available within walking distance- a downtown location would have even been more preferable. The facilities were also disappointing with a pond sized pool that was difficult to access and a nearby "beach" where you are unable to swim.

Perhaps the most disappointing was the patchy service- with the exception of the excellent concierge desk I had service issues that were not resolved with the hotel trying to extract more money from me for anything I asked for such as a late check out or a room with a better view (I was told many times that this was because I was on a corporate rate). The room I stayed in was well appointed and comfortable but I could not sleep properly for two nights as there was a constant creaking noise which sounded like loose metal but when I called to ask for it to be looked into on two separate occasions I was told that it was probably the wind and nothing was done. I had breakfast at the hotel and the service and quality of food was fine.

I would not recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a Miami experience due to the poor location, lack of facilities and indifferent service. It is at best an acceptable 4 star hotel with comfortable rooms and clean public areas.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
MiamiBest, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Miami, responded to this review, March 23, 2011
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your recent review of Mandarin Oriental, Miami on Trip Advisor. We sincerely apologize that your visit did not meet your expectations and that you were disappointed with your stay at our hotel. Although we are not located in the heart of South Beach, we pride ourselves on being a private island oasis away from the high energy of the beach area with a Five-Star Spa and excellent restaurants. The tranquility and surroundings of our pool and beach, although very intimate, provide a quiet escape for guests trying to get away from other crowded areas of the city.

We apologize for the lapse in service you described during your stay. We strive to extend the best in service to all of our guests and this matter will be addressed as will the disturbance in your room.

The hotel is experiencing high occupancy levels through the spring season, and often times late check outs are not able to be granted.

Thank you again for your comments and we regret your stay was not an enjoyable one. We hope you will afford us another opportunity with a return visit in the future.

Jorge Gonzalez
Shoreham-by-Sea, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2011

We chose the Mandarin Oriental because we had heard so many positive comments about the hotel chain. We needed a hotel which was close to the port since we were going to start a cruise the next day. The arrival at the hotel was fine, staff was very friendly.
Then we strated having issues: we went to have dinner to one of the Restaurants, the service was extremely bad, the food was OK but even the floor was very dirty.
We went then to our room and had a major issue with our air conditioning system. We turned it off but it was still making noises and this continued for the entire night! Next day we went for breakfast and the expensive buffet - the eggs benedict were cold - and if you ordered another capuccino you had to pay another $5 per coffee. Again the floor was dirty! we then went to the beach and staff was unfriendly and there was not enough space, the beach was dirt ... At check-out I complained and the lady just told me she would tell her boss! That was it for a luxury 5 star hote! I would certainly not recommend this hotel to anybody! Overpriced and overrated!

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay at Mandarin Oriental, Miami on Trip Advisor. I sincerely apologize for the disappointing experience you encountered in our restaurants and pool and beach facilities. We strive to exceed our guests’ expectations and in this case, clearly fell short. Please be assured we are addressing the issues experienced to ensure they are corrected. We have enhanced the Café Sambal breakfast experience with an expanded buffet and better ease and flow throughout the restaurant.

Additionally, we have attended to the air conditioning system situation and have requested for our engineering staff to inspect the cooling system in the room you had occupied.

Thank you again for your constructive comments. We apologize your first impression at the hotel was not a memorable one and hope you will afford us another opportunity in the future with a return visit.

Jorge Gonzalez
West Palm Beach, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2011

The Mandarin Oriental location is beautiful. There is water everywhere you look. The hotel is nice, but I certainly was not wowed. We have stayed in many five star hotels and this certainly was not top on my list. The service was fine, but not exceptional. The stay was nice but definitely not worth the price we paid for this room.

Upon check in our bags were taken by the bellman at the front door and we were told they would be sent to our room directly. After arriving at our room, we entered to find someone else's bags in the room. We had to call the front desk to verify that we were in fact in the correct room. They explained there was simply a mix up with the luggage. The mix up took a short while to resolve, which delayed us getting ready for our evening out.

The room was well appointed, but not not exceptional. The view was lovely, but unfortunately our particular room only had a very small balcony that could accomodate one chair.

We had booked the bed and breakfast package, which meant we could have late check out if available and included breakfast. The late check out was not available we were told as it was a busy weekend. We did order two breakfasts to be delivered to our room. We were told at check in we had the option for in-room dining or one of the dining rooms. Upon arriving home we noted that we were charged $20.00 for breakfast. When we inquired, it was explained that there was a maximum dollar amount allowed. This is understandable, but first that was not explained to us at the time of check in. Secondly when one books a room inclusive of a breakfast the maximum dollar amount should at least be substantial to cover the cost of the available breakfast. We did call the hotel and after some discussion they reluctanly agreed to credit us for the $20.00.

The spa was beautiful and we booked several treatments. I was in the spa for five hours. It, too, had a gorgeous view (in the spa suites). We had arrived early to inquire about storing our luggage as we would be checking out before the treatments were complete but we would need access to our luggage to dress in the spa after the services were finished. We were told that the bellmen could store the luggage and then have it sent to the spa at the completion of our service. This did happen but it took almost two hours for our luggage to arrive after we first asked to have it delivered.

To sum up, I would certainly return to the spa but probably not the hotel. It really was not worth the price. I would recommend the hotel only under certain circumstances.

ct
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2011

Upon check-in our room was not pristine within minutes a Manager moved us to a new suite. During a pool-side dinner where the wind made me chilly an employee "Patrick Bragger" immediately moved an outdoor heating unit to my table so I was more comfortable. The hotel is quiet and gorgeous. The food is healthy and delicious! Every employee is professional and courteous. The Spa staff is highly trained and the 3 services I had were exceptional. I will definitely plan another visit to this hotel!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business

Been to Mandarin Oriental, Miami? Share your experiences!