“Pretty good hotel for one night” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Courtyard Miami Coconut Grove

You added Courtyard Miami Coconut Grove to your Saves list
Courtyard Miami Coconut Grove
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2649 South Bayshore Drive, Miami, FL 33133 (Coconut Grove)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #56 of 111 Hotels in Miami
Portsmouth, Virginia
“Pretty good hotel for one night”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2014

My husband and I stayed for one night before our cruise (the brickwell hotel was full) and we thought it was pretty good. The location is pretty good as you can walk to the marina and to coco walk (about 15 min walk). This is a SMALL ouside mall that has 5 restaurants and maybe 10 store including gap tervis crocs etc. walk an addl 5 min and there is the cvs.

The hotel is right across a marina which has a fresh market, Monty's seafood, charter house, and Scotty's landing. We went to Scotty's landing for dinner and it was ok food but the best part is the restaurant is on the water. While we were there, they had a band playing.

Based on the above, the location is good for short stays (1 to 2 days) but if you want the beach then I would stay closer as there is always traffic and u have to pay for parking everywhere. Note valet parking is 24.40 here

• Stayed May 2014
Thomas L, Manager at Courtyard Miami Coconut Grove, responded to this review, June 5, 2014
Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for your review. We look forward to your return to the Grove.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Cincinnati, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2014

Let me first state that as a Marriott Platinum rewards member I think I have the required expertise of staying in many Marriott properties including courtyards to make this review.

Housekeeping: Good: The rooms were clean: BAD: Anyone who travels knows that the housekeeping staff will use the slide lock to keep the door open when there are cleaning a room. I have not problem with this practice. however, no one wants to come back to there room in the late afternoon and see that housekeeping did not lock the door behind them and kept the lock extended to keep the door open. Luckily no one entered the room and stole anything. First I looked all over the hotel floor to see if maybe they were around in another nearby room. I could not find anyone from housekeeping on the floor. When I went down to the front desk, the front desk attendant showed little concern and just calmly stated "I will let housekeeping know".

Rooms: Rooms are extremely small compared to most other courtyards. Also, there are little tiny gnats flying around the rooms that are annoying to say the least. I was travelling with a group of family members so I had the opportunity to be in several rooms on several different floors, all rooms had the same gnat problems

Bathrooms: Again extremely small, virtually no counter space to set your overnight toiletries bag(s). If you are traveling as a single then the room size won't be an issue but be advise any more than 2 to a room will be uncomfortable.

Amenities: Most courtyard's offer Starbuck's in the bistro along with other food and beverage items. While I don't like the Bistro concept Marriott has gone to it is a good alternative to no restaurant at all. Anyway, in every single courtyard I have stayed in, other than the Coconut Grove property, there is usually house brand coffee and ice water available in the lobby for guests. this property had no coffee for guests. With the prices this courtyard charges compared to other courtyards I would expect a little extra, but not here.

Pool: the pool area is a plus for the hotel. The pool, is nice, it is clean and there are ample chairs. the one thing the management should do is to ask guests not to bring bottles near the pool. Every day I witnessed people bringing bottled beers to the deck area. This is very dangerous and the hotel should make it clear with a sign that no bottles allow in pool area.

This same review will be forwarded to Marriott customer service. I realize they can't do anything about the room size, but issues with housekeeping, lack of services etc. should be acknowledged.

Will not stay here again. Sorry there are too many other properties

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Thomas L, Manager at Courtyard Miami Coconut Grove, responded to this review, May 18, 2014
Thank you for the feedback. I have shared with all departments to address your concerns (in particular the comments regarding rooms security, front desk response to issues and the gnats).

I'm sorry the experience wasn't up to your expectations and we do hope you give us another try so that we can improve upon your experience.
Palm Coast, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014

This hotel was very different from the cookie cuter courtyards I usually stay at. The rooms are so small! The are also very dated and in need of a facelift. The balcony was in serious need of de-rusting and needed a paint job. The pool area however was very nice. A decent but expensive supermarket across the street made up for the lack of choices at the hotel bistro.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Thomas L, Manager at Courtyard Miami Coconut Grove, responded to this review, May 1, 2014
Thank you for your feedback. It sounds like it was good overall but we've got some room to improve. I'll definitely share with the team and hopefully we can improve on your next visit when you return to the Grove.
Merritt Island, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014

This property is very near the trendy "Grove" area of Coconut Grove. It is about a $15 cab ride to downtown or Bayfront/AA Arena.

The Pros: Friendly door and valet staff, quick valet service, great food from the Bistro. Great location.

The Cons: I was not recognized as a Marriott Gold Elite member at check-in and therefore no perks associated with this status was offered. You MUST valet park or use the city owned parking garage. Bistro pricing is a bit steep for what is offered. Bistros service is slow. We had to request our room to be made up (after 5pm) on second day of stay. Our room was very small.

We come to Miami for 2 days each month. Would we stay again? Yes, but this property would not be our first choice.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Thomas L, Manager at Courtyard Miami Coconut Grove, responded to this review, April 28, 2014
Thank you for the feedback. We do occasionally have to use the smaller rooms. I'll pass along your comments to our Valet staff and we look forward to your return to the Grove.
Syracuse, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2014

I stayed here for a wedding in March, 2014. I thought the rooms were very small, especially for 4 people getting ready for a wedding. Other than that, the rooms were clean and the staff were very nice and courteous. The location was great. It was within walking distance to the shops in Coconut Grove and it was close to the water. I would say a 15 minute walk with a side walk. The pool area was OK. It was plain, but there is an updated bistro near the pool with an outside sitting area (did not eat at the bistro). There is a lot of construction in the area and our balcony overlooked an apartment building that was being renovated. We were there on the weekend, so no noise. Overall, it was a nice stay.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you for your review and I'm glad that the exprience was an overall positive one. We agree that the renovation of the condos next door is a challenge, however, I'm told the noisy part is done. We look forward to your return to the Grove!
Douglasville, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014

My family and I recently stayed here overnight prior to embarking on a cruise out of the Port of Miami. This is an older property for a Courtyard, but has been renovated to include the recent bistro & bar upgrade. We were on the 14th floor with an excellent view of the city skyline and the harbor. The accommodations were great for our short stay. The gym was larger than I expected. The pool was beautiful with private cabanas and long hours.
The downfall to this property was the service at the bistro. As a family, we elected to eat dinner and have drinks there, dropping almost $200 bucks (more than the room was worth.) Our server was reluctant to accommodate changes to the menu, refusing even to make me a Vietnamese Chicken Sandwich, which has been on the menu for a very long time, but was removed 2 days prior. I find it difficult to believe that they were sold out of ingredients-- if it was a hot seller it wouldn't have been discontinued. Nor did he approach us to refill drinks or bring additional rounds, we had to walk up and request them. Other Courtyards' bistros I have dined in have been much more service oriented.

Room Tip: Ask for an upper floor-- the views are great!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Thomas L, Manager at Courtyard Miami Coconut Grove, responded to this review, April 21, 2014
Thank you for the feedback on your recent stay. We strive to deliver excellent service to all guests but it sounds like our Bistro service definitely fell short. I will review this information with our F&B staff.

Thank you and we look forward to your return to the Grove.
Hilton Head, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2014

This place was very nice and clean. I enjoyed the Bistro area and the pool. There is not much to walk to from this hotel but we were just staying and leaving in the morning to head to the keys. The staff were helpful. Parking was not included in our fee and we were unaware of that at the time of booking.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you so much for the feedback and I'm glad your stay with us went well. The next time you stay with us, be sure to ask the Front Desk staff about the area. Cocowalk is half a mile away and there are many restaurants as well as a great exercise trail only a few blocks down bayshore!

Been to Courtyard Miami Coconut Grove? Share your experiences!