“Very disappointed, not Marriott quality” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Courtyard Miami Coconut Grove

You added Courtyard Miami Coconut Grove to your Saves list
Courtyard Miami Coconut Grove
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2649 South Bayshore Drive, Miami, FL 33133 (Coconut Grove)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
$20 Daily Credit
Ranked #72 of 129 Hotels in Miami
St. Johns, Florida
“Very disappointed, not Marriott quality”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

I stay in hotels 3 nights a week for business travel. This hotel is a 1 star with a 4 star price. Ants, cable kept going in and out, mattress terrible quality, no working elevator, dirty carpets, and smell was horrendous. Many other Miami higher quality hotels at a cheaper price. Marriott should be ashamed to have this hotel in its chain.

Room Tip: Do not stay here
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Thomas L, Manager at Courtyard Miami Coconut Grove, responded to this review, July 24, 2012
Thank you for response, I'm sorry your stay was not as you expected, it was unfortunate that we lost power in several times with the storms causing our elevators and cooling systems to fail; although our emergency backup did work there was a little delay with the elevators and AC. We take pride in our cleanliness; our carpets are professionally cleaned and sanitized 4 times a year, our mattresses are new pillow top mattresses, with pillow top protectors, if in the future you don't like the pillow top we can remove one layer to make the mattress firmer.
Again thank you for your comments; we have taken the necessary steps with our teams to ensure all our guests enjoy a great stay
Sincerely

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

This hotel is in a good location. You are in walking distance to the area with all the shops and restaurants. There is a Fresh Market (supermarket) across the street. Also, a couple of restaurant/bar (Monty's and Scotty's) on the water within a short walking distance.
The room was clean and bed was comfortable. I was in a suite with a beautiful bay view. No complaints here except parking. It's valet only for $29. However, you can parking on the side of the side for much less. It's $1.50 and hour and free after 2:00am. I think?

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Thomas L, General Manager at Courtyard Miami Coconut Grove, responded to this review, September 10, 2012
I reviewed your comments regarding your recent stay with us; we do take all comments seriously and appreciate all the feedback we can get. Thank you for your kind words, just to clarify parking is 20 plus tax and yes you can self park at 1 dollar an hour and free after midnight to 10am
Cleveland, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

I was originally really excited that Courtyard moved into the property in Coconut Grove. However, after our stay in March I won't be returning.

1) Front desk staff was not nice (not typical for a Marriott property, usually Courtyard staffs are really friendly)

2) "Bay view" is nonexistent until at least 10th floor... We were on 6 and were blocked by marina

3) We stayed with points; for number of points per night should have just stayed at Residence Inn (which is in heart of Cocowalk area). Would have gone in knowing there wasn't a view but at least gotten free breakfast out of it AND spent significantly less points per night.

4) The front desk made some comment that the higher floor rooms were reserved for paying customers, not those on points. I call BS on that because if we are using points that means we are loyal to the brand. Do not screw us because we are using points at the property.

I am a regular Marriott customer and was sorely disappointed by this property. Next time my husband and I visit Coconut Grove, we will either stay at the other Marriott properties.

Room Tip: In order to get a "bay view" you need to be well above the sixth floor. We were on 6 and i...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Thomas L, General Manager at Courtyard Miami Coconut Grove, responded to this review, July 18, 2012
Thank you for your review!

I reviewed your comments regarding your recent stay with us. We do take all comments seriously and appreciate all the feedback we can get. I do apologize for not being able to get you up higher in the hotel, so your view was not obstructed of the bay. I saw that we where able to upgrade you to our bay view side, which gave you the view of the pool and marina, but we did not communicate the fact that our top floors where sold out to you correctly. I’ve spoke to our team on how we should have communicated this, as we strive to move all our reward members from a city view room to a bay view room when they’re available.

I’ve taken the corrective action to ensure in the future we communicate correctly to all our guests.

Charlotte, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

This is my second Marriott review where things have gone missing....The good stuff first...the Courtyard Marriott did a good renovation. I stayed at this hotel (when it wasn't a Marriott)10+ years ago and it was scary...so, well done with what you have, Marriott. It has some rooms that have amazing views, and some rooms that look at the creepy guy in the building a stones throw away, so there's that. The pool is very, very nice, and they have a nice breakfast mini-service that has a lot of offerings. The locations could not be better. The space of the rooms vary. I have had some that were larger and some that were pretty small with very small bathrooms. It seems to be whatever the layout of the apartment was before it was a hotel. The bathrooms are clean but very low maintenance. The beds are comfy, and the air conditioner is good for me- has kind of a constant white noise sound that blocks out hall noise. Good sleeping. That being said, my brother's family and my family both stayed there over the holidays, and three pairs of expensive sunglasses went missing on the same floor, different rooms. When we spoke to management, no one knew anything and they said the people they had working there for years would never steal. That is fine, but I had given my sister glasses a mere 3 days before and they were gone along with another pair, and my Ray Bans that I have had for over 10 years disappeared too. You be the judge. Again, our property disappeared from another Marriott too, so I wonder what their policy is with staff. They seem to cover for them in the two experiences I had with stuff walking off...Bought my sister another pair of glasses...hope she doesn't take them to a Marriott. :)

Room Tip: ASK what view you are getting...ranges from amazing to amazingly creepy (shades shut the whole time...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Thank you for your review!

I reviewed your comments regarding your recent stay with us. We do take all comments seriously and appreciate all the feedback we can get. We operate a full lost and found department, where it’s full of items like you’ve explained you lost. I would encourage you to call the hotel and speak to our lost and found department, if you haven’t already. I’ve spoke to our team on how we should have responded to your concerns, which is we do have seasoned employees, with employee entrances that are monitored 24/7.

We will review our procedures and tapes to ensure our procedures are in fact effective to prevent anything like this.

With your other comments, we are delighted to know that you enjoyed our recent total renovation of the hotel and you where able to enjoy the new amenities we have to offer. 80% of our rooms have balconies, with the majority of them overlooking the Marina, pool and Biscayne Bay, and a few if you look west of the hotel there are some resident condominiums.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2012

-Noisy AC first room, had to move, 3am Sunday could not take the banging noise any longer. Desk clerks did not leave much info for the follow-on staff about the room change, desk clerks did not know we moved, did not provide maid service until 7pm for our new room, only after four calls. Severe problems with TV satellite in our rooms, channel two for both Miami Heat games we attempted to watch in room this week. Second room AC had noise issues too, had to call that in as well. This hotel bathroom has almost NO horizontal space to lay out your stuff. Single sink back, toilet tank top and one small glass shelf were the spaces besides the floor to use. One drawer was completely stuck that had to be fixed, no refrigerator in the room, had to ask for one to be installed/loaned. One telephone did not work, had to get that fixed.

Spouse liked the pool and chairs, usually good breeze and sun, and was convenient to the bar and snack and starbucks coffee lounge. Fresh Market food store directly across the street, as well as the Bay/Marinas, outdoor food and drink places along the water.

Room Tip: Sixth floor or higher, get side that faces pool
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review!

I reviewed your comments regarding your recent stay with us. We do take all comments seriously and appreciate all the feedback we can get. We routinely go through our rooms and bring them back to new status every 90 days; I will review your concerns with our engineering department and ensure we have a pro active plan in place.

I apologies for the bathrooms not having all the shelves installed, we recently renovated the entire hotel with several of the bathrooms scheduled to be completed with the proper shelving by 7/27

We have taken the corrective action to ensure these challenges do not happen again.

Lakeland, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2012

The CYM is a good stay for the area. Coconut Grove is beautiful and lots of things to walk to. The hotel staff was excellent especially the valet parkers. The building is ok, lots of updating has been done, but still some older themes surviving. The rooms are somewhat small. The towels are mixed, some soft, some sandpapery. Very comfortable beds. My only real complaint, (besides the costs) is the temperature in the hotel and my room. My thermostat was set at 65 but the room would not cool below 78 in the daytime, and uncomfortable for sleeping.

We went for baseball games and the hotel is only 35 min in rush hour traffic from Marlins Park.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review!

We’re delighted to know that you found our hotel beautiful and the staff excellent, all situated in a great location. We’ve since installed new equipment in our hotel laundry that will improve the consistency of all the linen and terry throughout the hotel.

I will share your concerns with our engineering department to ensure the rooms are cooling properly.

Charlottesville, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2012 via mobile

Spent 2 nights here. Has all the new Courtyard lobby upgrades including the bistro. Was upgraded to a deluxe view. Room was comfortable and well appointed. Looks updated although the hotel has to be a little older. Gym has enough equipment to get a decent workout. Pool and pool area is very nice with plenty of chairs, tables, and even cabanas. Free wifi which is always a plus. Only thumbs down are the 24 dollar parking, but there are no other good parking options nearby. Location isn't perfect--you'll walk 10-15 minutes to get to shopping and entertainment.

• Stayed May 2012
Thank you for your review!

We’re delighted to know that you found our hotel to have everything that you needed. You may choose next time to use the parking either on the street adjacent to the hotel, which is metered or use the city parking lot located across the street and to the left of the hotel. Valet parking is a 24/7 service where your car is stored in a covered, cool area and there are no additional cost for in and out service.

Sincerely

Been to Courtyard Miami Coconut Grove? Share your experiences!