“A mix of good and bad but one great employee made all the difference.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Courtyard by Marriott Miami Airport

Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #26 of 111 Hotels in Miami
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Long Beach, Mississippi
“A mix of good and bad but one great employee made all the difference.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

Obviously the reviews are quite mixed on this hotel and with mine coming in at 4 stars, I'll make sure to delve into the good, bad, and great.

We didn't plan on staying here but after the world cup final, the decision was made to stay in Miami for two days to catch up with friends.

Having booked through an express deal, we were never told up front in any disclosure that there was a parking fee, being that this was a Courtyard Brand it was a rather shocking find. (Bad)

After checking in and asking for the manager's name so I could take up the parking issue with them the next day, we found that the wifi was inoperable. The wifi actually didn't work at all while we were there, although this wasn't confirmed until the evening before checkout. (Bad)

I wrote a handwritten letter for the manager and handed it directly to her prior to heading out on my second day at the hotel, with a specific request for her to contact me to discuss the issues above, I never heard back from her. (Bad)

(Get ready for really, really BAD) A phone call did come to me from the front desk however, this one stating that a woman who was trying to get into my room and they wouldn't let her since the key card was not working and she wasn't one the registration. Who was this lady? Oh, my wife, that's who. The one who shares my last name, had all her stuff in the room, had our son with us and has a driver's license address that matches mine. (BAAAAAAAAAAAAAD)

With my complaints over, here goes the better stuff.

Good Things: Very clean "campus" of three hotels. A room that was spotless and up to date. A sparkling pool. A very, very well equipped 24 hour gym!!! Multiple food options on location and within walking distance. A shuttle that always seemed to be running, and close proximity to several main roads.

Great: An employee by the name of Robert V. showed what a true leader in the hospitality field is all about. Well spoken and a great listener. He made us remember what makes the Marriott brand one of the leaders in the hotel field. Often times in Miami, you find service industry workers ready to dismiss the complaints of patrons due to the knowledge that so many visitors are from out of the country, but Robert was cut from a different cloth. Although he does hold a position of responsibility at the Courtyard Miami, Marriott should think about promoting him into a higher level of overall corporate leadership. His taking 10 minutes to discuss our concerns single handily raised this review from a 2 to a 4.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the pool.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
dennis t, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Miami Airport, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Thank you for staying with us, and thank you for your feedback. I am extremely sorry to hear that so many things went wrong during your stay. I have shared your review with our team and we are addressing your concerns immediately. I am happy to hear about your experience with Robert. He is one of our star associates and a tremendous asset to our team. I hope that you will stay with us during a future visit to Miami and give as an opportunity to provide you with an excellent stay.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014 via mobile

I stayed at the Courtyard while en route to South America with my 3 children. Our flight arrived late, but the van service runs until at least midnight, and it was very easy to find the pick up area - right outside the terminal. It took us about 10 minutes to get to the hotel.
Check in was fast and friendly and we quickly ordered food from the restaurant to take up to the room (there is no room service). I ordered pizza (from Papa John's) as well and it was delivered to my door very quickly.
The room was spacious and clean - very comfortable for 4 people. We were given a late check out since we had a flight leaving in the afternoon, so we stayed until 2pm.
Everyone was friendly and helpful. The only downside was not having a breakfast buffet included in the price, but I believe this is how all Courtyards are.
I highly recommend this hotel!

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
dennis t, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Miami Airport, responded to this review, July 3, 2014
Thank you for choosing to stay with us, and thank you for your review. I'm glad to hear that your stay was enjoyable. The shuttle service is a great ammenity, especially if you are only stoping over and/or traveling with children. We look forward to welcoming you back.
Modesto, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

I was surprised to see just how close this property was to the Miami airport and in typical Courtyard fashion, my stay was comfortable and the staff was very pleasant. I enjoyed the complimentary breakfast with a made-to-order omelet and a no hassle shuttle to and from the airport. I was extremely pleased with the courteous staff that assisted me as a disabled traveler with my luggage and keeping me on the first floor. The Marriott Hotel is within walking distance for more dining and drinking options which is another reason I will chose this hotel whenever I am in Miami.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Thank you for choosing to stay with us, and thank you for your review. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. I hope that you'll visit us again during your next trip to Miami.
Maple, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014

Nice clean hotel with friendly staff. Free Parking for Marriott members with option to upgrade room at no charge. Concierge room for breakfast offered privacy and a chance to practice my limited Spanish. Close to the airport and only a few minutes away from great restaurants and shopping. South Beach about 15 minutes away and other attractions nearby as well. Enjoyed seeing the baby iguanas at the swimming pool.

Room Tip: ask if you can be upgraded to a larger room at no charge. more room for the kids and pillow fights...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
dennis t, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Miami Airport, responded to this review, June 30, 2014
Thank you for choosing to stay with us and thank you for your review. I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay. Also, thank you for being a loyal rewards member. We look forward to welcoming you back.
Green Bay, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014

The sports bar inside of the hotel was nice. I got to enjoy a few beers and watch the World Cup. Taryn was my bartender. She was really nice even though she knew nothing about soccer she was engaging and helpful. I told her that I wanted to do some shopping and didn't wish to go to a mall. She went out of her way to google and bring me back directions to shopping in Midtown. I usually stay in Embassy Suite hotels but I just may have to switch to Marriotts.

Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
dennis t, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Miami Airport, responded to this review, June 25, 2014
Thank you for choosing to stay with us, and thank you for your feedback. I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed Champions. Taryn is a terrific example of the service we strive to offer all of our guests. I hope that you will visit the hotel during your next trip to Miami. We look forward to welcoming you back.
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

This hotel was a great stay and a great price. I was down from NY for my best friends wedding. The rooms where a nice size and clean. The front desk was very helpful. My favorite part of my stay was the Sports Bar inside of the hotel, Champions. I wish that I would have had more time. I only got to enjoy the restaurant on my last night in Miami. They had over 20 huge at Tvs. Even ones at all the booths. The food was great. I recommend the Ribs. They just melt in your mouth. And my bartenders Lateisha(I hope I'm spelling her name right) and Taryn were a special treat. They had great chemistry and Taryn made me the best margarita that I have ever had! I would definitely be back with more time for leisure. Great Hotel! Great Sports Bar! Great Stay for an even better price! Check them out!!!!

Signed,
Helen (Brooklyn)

• Stayed June 2014
Thank you for choosing to stay with us, and thank you for your feedback. I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed Champions. Lateshia and Taryn are great associates, and they provide esceptional service to our guests. I hope that you will stay with us during your next visit to Miami. We look forward to welcoming you back.
Nashville, Tennessee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

While I expect to pay for parking in downtown hotels, I've never encountered a parking fee at an "Airport" hotel, until now. I had booked the Courtyard through Priceline - not the 'name your own price" option, but the option where they give you a price for a certain-level (3 star in this case) and you accept without knowing the hotel. I now know why they can offer this hotel at a rate of $65. The cost isn't $65 per night (plus tax and fees), it's another $17 + tax and fees (another 21%+), so effectively, it's $82 per night.

The hotel itself is what would be expected for 3-star lodging, nothing special - staff that is attentive and polite, clean rooms with limited amenities and an on-site restaurant. I do wonder how Courtyards manage to charge such high rates for breakfast ($14.95 for a 'continental' breakfast and $19.95 for a breakfast buffet at this location) when so many other hotels in the mid-level business-class offer free hot breakfasts?

Room Tip: The side of the hotel where the entrance is located is right next to the flight path of approaching...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
dennis t, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Miami Airport, responded to this review, June 19, 2014
Thank you for staying with us, and thank you for your review. I am so sorry to hear that you did not receive the value you expected for breakfast. I have shared your feedback with our team, and we are exploring ways to improve our buffet and increase the value. We hope that you will stay with us again for an improved experience. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Miami Airport? Share your experiences!