“Quaint location in major need of some TLC!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Cauley Square

Cauley Square
22400 Old Dixie Highway, Miami, FL 33170 (Allapattah)
(305) 258-3543
Website
Update attraction details
Ranked #97 of 117 attractions in Miami
Type: Neighborhoods
Attraction Details
Aventura, Florida
4 attraction reviews
“Quaint location in major need of some TLC!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

After completing my Redland Trail tour, my friend and I decided to stop by and grab a bite to eat. The entire square seemed like a ghostown since mostly all stores and restaurants were closed. The location is definitely pretty but in major need of some tender loving care! I would love to return when the area gets cleaned up.

Visited June 2013

Miami Beach, Florida
5 attraction reviews
“Bizarre Historic Lackluster Village”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

This is honestly one of the weirdest places I have ever visited.

If you are allergic to cats or fearful of raccoons stay far away.
The two artist galleries were interesting with artists-in-residence at both.
Evidently there is live music Friday (Rock) and Saturday (Jazz) both of which seem to miss the mark. The weirdest are the vintage tea room and doll shop. It's like you went back into time... but what time I don't know.

wait, there was one good thing -- i was able to purchase a pretty good cuban coffee.

take away... skip it and go to coral castle instead.

Visited May 2013
Miami, Florida, United States
3 attraction reviews
“If I could give a lower review than zero, I would”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

We signed up to be a vendor at their annual "Arts and Crafts Fair". Their BS rules for vendors said ""Publicity: Widespread, intensive, multimedia coverage, including press release. Expected audience of 1500+", but when we checked all the places on the web people look when they are seeking something to do on a weekend in south Florida, we could find nothing. A few days before the supposed Arts and Crafts Fair day, I emailed my concerns to Cauley Square, and they replied that there was a "misunderstanding", sending me a 5 or 6 places they had supposed advertised on, but even then I could find nothing, other than a poster placed on Cauley Square's own website that had no further information other than the time and day. Even their roadside sign, hung sloppily on a fence was bent and wrinkled, hardtop read and had the wrong times posted. The place is not readily visible from the road (US1) as it is set back from the highway, and behind a second lesser road, so unless you knew where the place was, most passing vehicles would have had no idea any daytime event was happening there. They also instructed vendors that the set up was to be complete well before the 10 am supposed start time, with no vehicles to be allowed on the grounds after 9:30am. That was blatantly untrue too as vehicles went through the area where vendors had erected their displays. We stopped ounting at 25 but it didn't matter as there was really no attendance. In fact, one end of their supposedly shut road was left open to anyone who wished to drive through. "1500" expected turnout? Laughable. We could have set up bowling pins at one end of their complex and rolled a bowling ball from the other end and not hit anyone other than the few vendors or raccoons the entire disgusting waste of time we were there. Worst of all, Cauley Square is located on a 20 acre wooded complex filled with raccoons and cats. (We saw many more raccoons than people there). While I have nothing against these cute creatures, their droppings were everywhere and instead of Cauley Square staff cleaning them up in the area where the vendors (all 9 who, like ourselves were duped by these people) were set up, or at least spraying them to cover the subtle odor, the immense amount of raccoon droppings were covered with horse flies that ate us alive until we retrieved insect spray with which we had to cover ourselves with and used a second can of insect spray to cover all the droppings within 30 feet of our display so the supposed 1500 guests their nonexistent advertising was supposed to attract wouldn't be eaten alive either. Bottom line: We had exactly 6 people stop at our display, (yes 6), and two of them I think were other vendors. No one even picked up a single thing from our display. The day cost us a lot of money, time and effort and it was worse than awful. This was supposed to be an art fair, but much of what the handful of vendors displayed was not hand made but low end import stuff, things that belonged at a flea market not an art fair (there was no jurying of vendors like real art fairs most often do)....but that did really didn't matter as no one was really selling anything. A little after 1pm we became the 5th. of the 9 vendors there to pack up and leave. I couldn't be more disgusted. Cauley Square is a lovely location, but in terrible disrepair, and its somewhat remote location, between south Miami and Homestead demanded that for any event there to be even moderately successful, required advertising and press releases, which were not done. Unfortunately we paid for our space in cash, so we are not able to cancel a credit card payment to this dump, as we heard other vendors said they were going to do. All and all it was a total waste of a day and we left as disgusted as we could be with the way this place is run. We wouldn't recommend anyone go to this place if it were the last place on earth, and I'm only sorry I couldn't give them a rating less than 1 on a 5 scale as they don't deserve even a one rating. Who would I recommend to visit this place?.... no one other than the health department.

Visited May 2013
Key West, Florida
4 attraction reviews
“I liked it”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

First let me say I am from Key West and at the moment it is being run over by crowds, too much of everything. So for me and my husband finding Cauley Square is a quiet little reprieve. My husband and I ate at the Village Chalet and the food was very good, service excellent and half of the cost for the same in Key West. We actually enjoyed the cats and seeing racoons. They were never a problem and kept their distance. I never smelled cat urine. There are art studio's where you can meet the artist that make their work. I happened to fall in love with the hand made wooded pens made by Joe Dion. The artist that owns the studio, The Children's Gallery and Art Center, Natalie, and her husband have several different artist's work there, along with their own art.
Ivana's Artisan carries very nice handbags and other accessories from Colombia, all priced very reasonable. The trees and plants reminded me of a tropical hammock in the Florida keys. For me and my husband, Homestead and the Redlands is always a great place to get away for a weekend, away from the crowds of cars, scooters, bicycles, trash and loud drunks in Key West. Cauley's Square could be better, but it is still worth a visit.

Boca Raton, Florida
18 attraction reviews
“Misses the mark”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

I got the sense that there might be some good music at night, but that's just from all the posters they had up promoting the fact that there's live music at night. We were there mid afternoon on a Friday and there was nothing going on.

There are a few odd art shops that all seem to basically have the same sorts of wares, an exotic bird store, one little frozen drink shop, and a couple restaurants that were completely empty. The buildings are all run down and it's not always immediately obvious about what's open and what's not. As it stands the most interesting thing are all the fat raccoons and cats all over the place. One place we couldn't get within 20 feet of without being overwhelmed by the smell of cat urine. There are a few really interesting sculptures scattered about if you venture off the road just a little bit.

This place is a little far from more major attractions like the Coral Castle and there's really nothing else touristy around, so I'm sure it's hard to draw a crowd, but it has potential. It needs way more diversification in the types of shops. Maybe some sort of small museum to tie in to the history of the place. It needs fixed and cleaned up a little. The empty shops need filled. Parking areas need defined. It could be a really cool place to shop for unique items and have a nice meal, but as it stands, it's not worth stopping.

Visited February 2013