“Great hotel for downtown stay” 5 of 5 stars

Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #22 of 111 Hotels in Miami
Certificate of Excellence 2014
BOS
“Great hotel for downtown stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2010

We stayed at the JW for 9 days over Thanksgiving and were very pleased with our choice. If you want the beach it might not be the best hotel for you, but for a stay in the downtown area or if you are planning to rent a car and drive around South Florida it is great. I played the 'LNF' game and got an awesome rate of $88 per night, which didn't stop the hotel form upgrading us to a concierge level corner room! Check-in was a bit slow, but we arrived very late in the night. The room was furnished in modern decors and the bed was perfect. Everything was clean, modern (TV was kind of old) and working. Another highlight is the concierge lounge on the top floor which featured a good selection of hot and cold snacks in the evening as well a nice breakfast selection. The hotel lounge was even open on Thanksgiving evening and for the weekend they gave us free breakfast vouchers for the hotel restaurant. Overall we loved the hotel and the staff and we will definitely return to this hotel in the future.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Winnipeg, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2010

We stayed at the Marriott two nights before our cruise on March 21, 2010. The hotel is very beautiful, clean and the staff are extremely friendly and helpful. Everyone always had a smile and they were always quick to offer help and suggestions on where to go and how to get there. We had a room on the same floor as the pool so we had our own private little balcony/deck area right outside of our patio doors. It was wonderful.

I would highly recommend however you must know that the hotel is in a purely business area and there is not alot around it. We were able to walk to Bayside Market in about ten minutes or so.

Loved it!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Tiburon, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2010

This hotel is in downtown Miami, not south Beach. It is mainly surrounded by banks and office buildings. The lobby is nice, but nothing super-luxurious. The room I stayed in was good, but not super nice. The bathroom was okay, but somewhat small. I would have expected larger for a JW Marriott property. It seemed more like a nice marriott hotel than a JW Marriott (which I am assumign is like the "Conrad" of the Hilton chain--the super high end luxury brand). This hotel is by no means super-luxurious at all. The bed was fine. The TV has no HBO or pay TV, only regular cable. The internet though, is free if you have your own laptop.

Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2010

I'm finishing up a 6-night stay at the JW for business. I was told to stay here along with a few other co-workers for 2 reasons...1) it's less than a mile from the office I'd be working out of, and 2) you've got to see these TV's they have built into the bathroom mirrors!

Well, the rooms are very nice. Very big and roomy. While I couldn't get a view toward the water, I was given an end room with two walls of windows...very nice view of the downtown area beyond Brickell Avenue.

So after checking in, I went to the bathroom to check out the novelty of a TV in the mirror. To me, it looked like a mirror. I asked someone at the front desk when I was there, and they told me that if you weren't in a suite, you had to be on the 19th floor or above (I was on 17) or in a suite to have the TVs in the mirror. A fellow coworker, who was on 19, was told you had to nbe on 21 or above. I was kind of bummed, but I'm not sure how you'd watch TV in the bathroom anyway...certainly not while using the toilet, which was on the same wall and separated by a partition.

The room is comfortable. The flat screen in the main room is very nice...would've been better if they offered HD, but I don't know if anyone does that. The large desk chair was nice as well. While they do offer free wireless service, it was very unreliable...slow, failed to connect regularly, unsecure, and overall, worth about as much as it costs. Now, for $10/day, you can have secure wired service. The 'tech' maintenance guy wasn't much help in diagnosing what was wrong with the connection. The scene they set for you in the room (i.e., curtains all open, some type of classy music playing on the CD player in the room, etc.,) is a nice touch.

Towels were clean, soft, thick, and big...best I can remember at a hotel. I always wondered why hotels don't use some form of fabric softener. If you can pick what type of pillow you want, why can't you pick whether your linens have been washed with a fabric softener. Anyway, these were really soft.

One irk...I don't mind housekeeping coming in and straightening up every day; however, when they get anal to the point where they have to move your stuff in order to get the room to look exactly the same as it did when you check in, that really bugs me. If I move the yucky hair dryer (that I don't need) bag away from the hook on the back of the bathroom door b/c I need that hook for my hanging bathroom bag, I don't need the hairdryer back on the hook (on top of my stuff) the next day. And I definitely don't need all of my bathroom items pushed to the sides of the bathroom counter so they little bottle of this and that can be put back where they're supposed to be...like I said, just a little irk...but after fighting with these and many other types of things...and literally having to put the room back the way I want it each day for a few days in a row. I finally just started hanging the sign on the door each day so I wouldn't have to mess with it anymore.

You're only a few blocks from the water, and within walking distance of around 20 restaurants, bars, nightclubs, etc. The concierge keeps a handly list of eateries in the area. We had a corporate rate of $220/night. Pretty good for that rater...I don't know if I could see paying $300-400/nt of my own money, but you never know.

USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2010

First the good: great location on Brickell Avenue if you want to be in this area of Miami. Nearby hotels include the fabulous Mandarin Oriental, Four Seasons and Conrad Miami. Front Desk staff pleasant and efficient. Beds very comfortable.
Now the not-so-good, and in combination these items make the J W Marriott just not worth the $359+ rate: stains on bedroom carpet and on bathroom throw rug; limited cable TV selection (just 37 channels - no MSNBC, etc.); no newspapers; no turndown (even though it is listed in the Guest Services Directory), no bathrobes; speed dial buttons on phone not programmed; Room Service trays/dishes left in corridor all night; no one in Housekeeping seems to speak even rudimentary English. The main restaurant is closed on Monday night (isn't Monday a business travel day?) Breakfast buffet an outright rip-off at $23.95++.
A la carte oatmeal served in a tiny bowl the size of a coffee cup. Had to (literally) beg for check in Drake's Bar even though there were no other customers in room.
There are too many good hotels in Miami; would not return to this one at half the price.

calgary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2010

Our party had 3 rooms for pre-cruise. We all were very happy. No complaints. It's expensive but most hotels in Miami are.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends
seward, ak
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2010

Very comfortable room with a very convenient pool and fitness area. The room had a high humidity odor to it but the furnishings were great as was the free internet. Compared to the Conrad Miami one block over, this place was easy to get around and the staff very friendly. I particularly enjoyed the Starbucks with the local bakery next door as well as the other local eateries across the street. I'm not crazy about the downtown location but it was a good value.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business

Been to JW Marriott Miami? Share your experiences!