“The Lap of Luxury” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #32 of 120 Hotels in Miami
Boston, ma
“The Lap of Luxury”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2006

We stayed at the JW Marriott for 2 nights in mid-March. The service was impeccable and our rooms were extremely comfortable. The rooms were a nice size and pleasantly decorated. This hotel has connecting room so is good for families that need more than one room. We have absolutely no complaints at all. The Brickell Village is an up and coming neighborhood just a couple of blocks away with a great Italian restaurant and a French Bistro.

The fitness room was well appointed and the pool with it's stainless steel sides and bottom was just terrific. We stayed on the 7th floor which opened to the pool and had outside space. We had lunch by the pool and room service breakfast one morning and all was on par with what you would expect from hotel room service.

There were complimentary bottles of water at turndown and also in the fitness room. It seems that they thought of everything to keep their guests comfortable.

• Stayed March 2006
10 Thank muttger

Miami, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2006

This hotel is beautiful and very nice. I disagree with the previous comments. The person that posted the last comment, did not really face problems. Remember also: we are just humans trying to make the best of it.

• Stayed February 2006, traveled on business
8 Thank equipesom
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2006

This hotel stands out for its remarkable care for its guests. I have never experienced such an abundance of professional excellence in one location where every member of the staff meets or exceeds the expectations of a guest. It is a pleasure to recommend this hotel for travelers who like serenity and security.

Stayed January 2006
5 Thank EvaLouise
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2006

At 1st glance, the JW Marriott seems like the hidden gem of Miami downtown hotels - At 2nd glance it's a poorly run franchise hotel with bad staff and faulty maintanance issues.

I checked in on Wednesday March 1st for a 2 night stay. I arrived at the airport at 10:30 PM and immediately called the hotel to let them know I was coming. I told them I wanted to order room service before I got there so it would be ready for me when I arrived. The lady on the phone put me on hold and said she had to confirm if I could order from the dinner menu at 11:00 PM. I was on hold for 7 minutes and she never came back to the phone. I called a few more times and she did the same thing so finally I spoke to a night manager named Florencia (Best person who works there) and she took my order.

That was just the beginning of the horror show I experienced there:

After I checked in I was put in room 2123 on the concierge floor. The room had numerous maintenance problems
1)TV volume control did not work
2)Air conditioner made strange noise
3)Curtain was falling off

I got to know the engineer very well on this trip.

The next day I spoke with the General Manager(also named Florencia) and I told her what happened. She didn't offer me anything off the room and tried to say she would upgrade me to a suite for $299.00 the next night. I couldn't believe it and after 30 minutes of arguing with her she agreed to comp the previous night. I mean, the whole discussion was ridiculous!!!

Anyways, I literally got no sleep the night before so after viewing my new room I proceeded to fall asleep in my original room (I was dead tired!!!) I got a phone call at 4:00 PM from the front desk manager who told me I had to move now because the hotel was sold out but I could not even move I was soooo tired. I told him I'll just stay in the original room because I was very tired and he said okay. Well, when I got up I went to eat out and came back around 11:30 PM to my room. This time line 1 on the phone didn't work and up came the engineer who tried for an hour to fix the phone with no luck. I woke up at around 4:00 AM and was a little hungry so I called room service to get some cereal and milk. Here's the kicker - I can't drink 2% or whole milk because I have stomach problems so I told the order taker I would like skim milk (I said it 3 times). So what do you think the waiter brings up to my room???? 2% milk of course. The kicker is that he tried to tell me for 5 minutes that the milk he brought was skim and I ALMOST believed him until I looked at it ultra carefully and determined it was 2%. When I finally screamed to him it was not SKIM milk, he said "Oh, skim milk is not the same as 2% ???" I just looked at him and shook my head in disgust. That summed up my stay at this horrible excuse for a Marriott!!!!

Bottom Line is this: if anyone decides to stay there, they need to be aware that most of the staff don't speak good english, they have 1 "at your service" button that handles all the departments and if you ask for let's say, the front desk extension, they'll never give it to you!!!!

Lastly, the general manager of the property, Florencia (I forget her last name) is the worst GENERAL MANAGER I have ever seen. I tried asking for her boss's name and she would not tell me all "call the corporate office" she kept saying. I fially found out that a gentleman named Mr. Glass owns the hotel and I tried to reach him unsuccessfully.

Sorry for the long review but everyone needs to know what I experienced at this horrible hotel. I told the GM I would post a review on trip advisor and she did not care - maybe now if people don't stay there she will...

• Stayed March 2006
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
20 Thank Michael B
california
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2006

I was traveling with my family to Miami to meet a cruise ship, so rather than rush, we opted to fly in early and stay at a local hotel. With my Marriott points, i selected the JW Marriott hotel in Miami.
I have stayed at Marriotts, Westins, and Ritz Carltons,and I would have to say that this hotel resembles the Ritz Carltons ( owned by Marriott also).
Top notch, first class, 5 star,and exceptional service!!When you first walk it, you can tell you have a hotel that cares about appearance and cleanliness. It doesn't matter if you are wearing shorts or a tuxedo, you are given nothing but the best.
The room faced the pool area and was quite nice with the plasma screen tv, internet access, marble bathroom,and pillow top beds. I love to work out at the fitness area because it was like a real gym!!
Not only were there plentiful machines, but LCD television screens at almost each machine!!The fitness room had a large 42 inch plasma when you walk in, if you prefer just to relax and read a newspaper or magazine, cranberry juice, apples, pears, and lots of bottled water and towels ...like being in "fitness heaven".
There isn't much nite life because it is in the financial district of town, and not many restauarants open late in the evening. We did find an Italian restuarant called Ludo''s that offered great pizza
and tasty pasta.
Would definitely go back again...though it may be a few minutes drive to Bayside or South BEach, the experience at this hotel is well worth it.

• Stayed January 2006
9 Thank TRAVELWAY52
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2006

This hotel was beautiful, clean and really top notch. But because we were looking for a "beach" vacation we found we had to do some traveling by car in order to see a beach. This hotel is in downtown Miami. If you love the city then this hotel is for you. If you love the beach then opt to stay in South Beach or Ft Lauderdale. We enjoyed our stay but rather be beachfront. Loved the flat screen TV and in room internet access!

• Stayed December 2005, traveled on business
11 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2005

I stayed 8 nights at the JW Marriott in Miami just before Christmas. I was very pleased with this hotel. It's beautiful. Drake's bar, off the lobby is particularly beautiful -- English gentleman's club decor but very well done. It's also non-smoking so I enjoyed having a cocktail before dinner there. I also loved the pool area. It's not super huge, but very nice and there is poolside bar and food service. It was a great treat to have excellent food and drinks brought to your chaise lounge. The pool is heated so even if the breeze is a little cool, you can have a comfortable swim. My room was large, beautiful, and had lots of extras like an in-room safe, mini-bar, granite counter tops, 42" flat screen TV, up-graded linens, and bath products. One great touch is free internet access via a computer terminal in your room. I loved this - - very easy and convenient to check e-mail and get info off the net. Room service was very good too. I had access to the concierge lounge which had a great breakfast buffet. Overall the service was excellent. The staff are very polite, prompt, and professional. While there is not a lot to do in the immediate area around the hotel, as mentioned in a previous review, this hotel is only about 10 or 15 minutes from South Beach. We took Highway 1 North to the Venetian Causeway (turn right on 15th St I think - - near the Omni?). It's a very easy drive and we never encountered much traffic. One other thing, this hotel is also very close to Key Biscayne and the beaches there - - also a 10 - 15 minute drive and very little traffic. I did not have lunch or dinner in the restaurants so I can't evaluate them. We got a great rate of $169.00 on Marriott. For this price, this hotel was a steal. While it's primarily a business hotel, we thoroughly enjoyed using it as a vacation hotel. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed December 2005