“Lovely hotel in financial district” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
$25 Daily Credit
Ranked #29 of 129 Hotels in Miami
London, United Kingdom
“Lovely hotel in financial district”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2009

We stayed here for three nights as a pre-cruise stay. Although financial district a bit of a taxi ride to South Beach, the area is very clean and modern. Take a walk to the waters edge just a few steps from hotel, it's lovely. Free internet in rooms, great TV, free bottled water, great view, comfortable beds, spotlessly clean,supermarket close by.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2009

We had a wonderful stay at this JW Marriott. Our suite was wonderful with 2 Plasma screens and a large balcony with sea view.... The concierge lounge is very nice. You can enjoy nice appetizers, beer and wine... The breakfast is also very nice!
Very good service. The pool is cool.
Very handy is the free of charge metro line is Miami Downtown.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Huntington Beach, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2009

October 22, 2009 – I had the opportunity to spend one night at the JW Marriott Hotel in Miami Florida while on business in the area. I wish that I could have stayed a day or two longer!

Service at the JW was excellent! Every single hotel associate went out of their way to offer a pleasant greeting. The hotel seemed very friendly.

Checking in, I received room #2212, which is on the 22nd floor, also designated the “Presidential Floor.” Getting off of the elevator there is a round presidential seal on the wall and both the Presidential and Vice-Presidential suites are on this floor.

My room reservation was made by a colleague and I received a room with two queen-size beds instead of a king, but it was fine with me. The room was very comfortable in every respect. The air conditioning was quiet and effective and did not blow directly on me when in bed or working at the desk. Lighting in the room was good.

One of the features I liked best about my room was the espresso machine. I don’t know if all the rooms have espresso machines, but it was a treat for me. I made decaf the evening I arrived and used up the four packs of regular the next morning.

The desk had a PC on it, but I travel with my laptop so I did not use it. Because the hotel charges for high speed internet, I used my T-Mobile wireless connection so I cannot comment on the speed or reliability of the hotel’s internet service. My room had a very large flat screen TV mounted to the wall. Only standard definition programming was available.

The bathroom was very nice, with a glassed-in combination tub and shower. This was the first JW Marriott that I have stayed in where there was not a separate shower. The bath amenities seemed to be high quality. The towels were thick and very absorbent. Lighting was OK for me, but my wife would probably have said it was not bright enough. There was a TV in the bathroom, but it showed through the mirror so it was very dim, especially when the both lights were on. Water pressure was high and hot water flowed immediately.

There was a large leather arm chair between one of the beds and windows. It was very comfortable. There being no ottoman, I used the edge of the bed. Because the room had two queen-size beds, there was not room for an ottoman or a coffee table.

My room, #2212 faced east and had a partial view of Biscayne Bay and Miami Beach in the distance. I say partial, because there were several tall buildings between the hotel and bay. However, the view was good from my 22nd floor room.

The one queen-size bed that I used was very comfortable. The bedding was high quality and the pillows smelled fresh. On the night stand between the two beds was a combination CD player and clock radio. I tried for about five minutes to figure out how to set the alarm, but finally gave up and asked for a wake-up call. The wake-up call was by a person, not a machine. The only place near the beds to plug my cell phone charger in was behind the night stand, a minor inconvenience.

My colleague and I arrived just before the concierge lounge closed, but were in time for desert. There were several selections including individual chocolate cake that must likely boasted over 1,000 calories. It was very good! The buffet breakfast in the lounge offered scrambled eggs and bacon as well as a wide assortment of fruit, breads, and juices. The coffee was excellent and the concierge even offered to brew espresso for guests.

I visited the spa, but only to take a few photos of the exercise room. The exercise room overlooks the outdoor swimming pool. The equipment looked very new. Exercise towels and water were set out. The treadmills and stationary bikes faced windows that looked out onto the pool area. There was an adjoining room with weight equipment and free weights. The outdoor pool was deserted when I looked, but it looked inviting.

We used valet parking and calling down before I left my room; the rental car was waiting for us. The $27 parking fee is high, but typical of parking charges downtown in just about any major city.

The JW Marriott was very comfortable, the service was excellent and I can recommend it as a hotel that I would like to return to in the future.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
O'Fallon, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2009

I just wrapped up a 4-night stay at the JW Marriott in Miami. Overall I had a nice stay and would stay here again in the future. The hotel staff was friendly and accommodating. The location is ideal if you are traveling to the banking district (I was) but not so ideal for beach travelers. As other reviewers mention a couple of nice restaurants are located near the hotel but the immediate vicinity around the hotel feels a little “quiet” in the evenings. You can take a 10 minute walk to the Mary Brickell area which is a more lively area with restaurants and shops or cab it to South Beach. The room and bathroom were both spacious and clean. The fitness center at the hotel is very nice for a hotel and had a large selection of exercise equipment. The room I stayed in (7th floor) had a large balcony with a city view which was a nice bonus.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
Miami
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2009

Nice hotel, clean inside. However, be ware that on Thursday and Friday nights a restaurant next door called Gordon Biersch has a live band with very very loud music!!!!! IF you would want to go to sleep early on those nights it may be difficult as the band plays until around 11:00PM.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2009

Month of stay - March 2009
Reviewer - 105584345

The hotel is conveniently located in the banking district and it makes sense to stay there if your office is nearby.

The rooms are very comfortable and convenient with enough space to work in the room if required. The complimentary internet connection is helpful to catch up on work, if required.

Good hotel to stay in if you are a business traveller as the hotel staff is very efficient and are willing to go the extra mile to help you.

The area gets deserted in the evenings but there are a few good restaurants to hang about in the Brickell Village which is only a 7-8 minutes walk from the hotel

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2009

Staying here for the second night but already, I am clear this is not a five star hotel. First impressions not good - pulling up in the car, I learn that it is valet parking only at $27 per night - that's getting close to how much it cost to rent the car per day. As it was a Saturday night, there were loads of white clad valet parkers standing around - that just makes me hassled. I want to park my own car, get the stuff I need and take my time. I asked about alternative local public parking, but none of the white clad gentlemen understood the term "public parking" - it took four guys to consult before they knew what I was talking about. That ain't Five Star hotel service either.

The hotel is in Downtown which looks pretty dead at the weekend and it is sorrounded by much taller apartment blocks and offices From my SW facing corner room there is a very small glimpse of the sea..

The room feels small compared to the Singapore Fairmont that I just got back from.Now that is a proper Five Star hotel and is the benchmark I am using to rate this place. Furniture is quite tired looking, big lumps of brown wood placed so as to block access to the window blinds and electrical sockets. Closing the blinds at night is a real pain and I tripped over a stupidly placed magazine rack which has seen better days and looks like plenty of other people have tripped over it too.

There is no central control of lighting, so hitting the bed and leaving the light on means you have to get up again. Don't come to this hotel if you want to stay in touch with international TV news channels - no BBC World? But loads of the usual religious channels in the morning and those selling channels. Perhaps the line up will improve as the working week begins.

Wireless access works well here on the 17th floor and is free. There is a mini Wyse "Winterm" on the desktop but I have not used it. It has two USB ports but not sure if you could plug a card reader or other USB peripherals into it. There is also wired internet access but it costs $9.99 per day. A strange pricing structure - if you don't have wireless on your laptop you are in trouble.

The hotel seems to be participating in this foolish "pillow arms race", there are seven pillows on my bed at present - which is ridiculous. Someone need to let them know loads of pillows does not a "Five Star hotel make".

Other room amenities - mini bar fridge with minimal space to put your own stuff - just squeezed a one pint bottle of fresh milk and some chocolate in. Coffee maker in a drawer but only plastic cups supplied - that definitely downrates this place. There are wine glasses and tumblers for drinks but plastic cups for tea or coffee. A quick call to housekeeping did sort that one out.

Large wall mounted LCD TV but positioned badly for watching if you are sitting working at desk in room.

At the desk in the room, there is only one power outlet built into the lamp. Another is hidden behind the desk and is both a stretch and not practical to plug in many AC adapters. My tip, always bring a multi-way socket outlet for these situations.

Breakfast was in another tired looking room - a poor selection - they passed my porride and bacon test - both available and tasty, but croissants poor, orange juice had to be requested - not available on buffet (a first for me). Room seemed lifeless - no buzz even if it was a Sunday morning.

Overall, the US seems to do budget hotels really well, I have virtually always been satisfied with a range of hotels from a really cheap Knight's Inn in Pennsylvania through excellent Holiday Inn Expresses and recently a Candlewood Suites even Marriott Courtyards, but proper Five Star service seems to be sub-standard when compared with the best European or Asian hotels.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business

Been to JW Marriott Miami? Share your experiences!