“Good stay, pros and cons” 4 of 5 stars

4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1109 Brickell Ave, Miami, FL 33131 (Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #27 of 130 hotels in Miami
Snellville, Georgia
“Good stay, pros and cons”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

My wife and I stayed here one night prior to leaving on a cruise. The hotel is 15 minutes from the airport and the valet helped us get our bags to check in. Although we had to wait for about 2 hours before our room was ready, it was well worth the wait.

The room was perfect was able space including a nice leather lounge chair, king size bed, desk and 2 nice robes. Bathroom had a TV built into the mirror which I had no seen before. It also had wonderful lighting with nice neon type lights inside. The room was the best part of the stay.

The service was fine for the most part. For a higher end property we expected much more from the food quality. We ate dinner one night at the bar on the 2nd floor and the menu was very limited. The quality didn't not warrant the price. Also, one thing we could not grasp was that we were told at check in they were booked solid because of the weekend. However, between the bars, lounge, pool, etc. We never saw more than 25 people during out entire stay.

Another con for us was that my wife is platinum with Marriot and she normally gets nice perks like breakfast tickets, drink tickets, special lounge access to name a few. On this trip they did have a VIP lounge but you were required to pay for your drinks at night. Most properties at least have a happy hour for their VIP and they did not. This has never been a deal killer for us but we do remember things like this when we choose to stay here again.

We would stay here again in if Miami in the future.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

420 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Miami, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

As an event planner, you expect nothing but the best service and attention when you bring a group to a property. Did we receive that when we brought a group of 8 VIP guests from Latin America to the JW in Brickell? Absolutely not! The experience was AWEFUL from beginning to end. I have to say, NEVER AGAIN will I use this property for groups or personally. Nor would I recommended to anyone either.

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Orlando, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

The hotel was OK but I had problems with the toilet running and a smokey room. I had to ask more than once for a coffee cup because they left more coffee but no cups. The hotel was very responsive to my complaints but I shouldn't have had to complain.

• Stayed May 2013
Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

I've spent close to 800 nights in hotels during my career, so I know a thing or two about hotels and service. We booked this particular hotel based purely on location and the fact I had some Marriott points to use up. So my expectations were not high - a clean room and comfortable bed was all we wanted. Well we were pleasantly surprised to encounter the staff - nicest crew I've ever dealt with. Now keep in mind we were travelling with our 9 week old daughter, so maybe she brought some extra smiles from the staff. That aside, every single employee we encountered - from the parking attendants to the desk staff to the bell men - were outstanding.

Not sure where some other reviewers stayed, because I found the hotel to be in great shape. Our room was updated (although all of the tv channels didn't work most of the time) and everything was clean and in working order. The only drawback was the absence of a pool bar. There is one there, it's just not open.

Would stay here again on future trips.

Room Tip: If you're staying for a few days, upgrade to the concierge floor - worth it if you eat breakfast...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Durham, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

I stayed at the JW Marriott for two nights. It is a large hotel on a nice stretch of Brickell, not really walking distance to downtown (though you can take the Metro Mover, which is not too far away if you're feeling adventurous).

The lobby of the hotel is grand, but the rooms and upper-floor hallways could use a little renovation - carpets and furniture is a bit worn for a JWM. The elevators are really slow - I waited over 10 minutes for one at one point (I was on an upper floor). There is a convenient business center downstairs, and each room was equipped with a good working desk with a lot of outlets.

The staff and valets were very, very nice and helpful. However, two sort of strange things happened to me that indicate a possible lack of training and oversight. First, upon check-in I was told I needed some sort of voucher to check in, as I had booked the room through Priceline. I have never heard this before or since. I had to convince the desk clerk to let me check in.

Once she relented and gave me my key, I went to my room only to discover that it smelled very, very musty. The carpet was slightly damp, leading me to believe it had either just been cleaned or the previous hotel guest had flooded the bathroom. Housekeeping obviously should have caught this in turning the room around, and the room should have never been given to me.

The end result was positive: I went back to the desk (same clerk as before), politely described the condition of the room, and she moved me -- no questions asked -- to a fabulous corner room on the next-highest floor. The room had windows along both walls, and afforded a great view north to downtown Miami. I didn't want to leave.

Parking here is valet only and it is expensive -- annoying, but to be expected in this area of Miami where there's basically nowhere to park. The hotel hosts a lot of conventions, so if you go to get your car at 5:00 pm or so, you will be waiting for a LONG time. I can't really blame the hotel for this - their driveway is only so wide, but just be mindful of this when you leave. If it's close to 5:00, go to the bar and have a drink (traffic in Miami is horrific at this time anyway, so maybe have two drinks).

This area of Brickell is the "Financial District" of Miami, so there are a lot of office buildings and a lot of tall residential towers. There are a lot of good, higher end restaurants around - a Morton's across the street, for example. There are a couple of places with quicker fare, but I'd describe the majority of the dining as more high-end. Even though it isn't on the beach, its a short walk 1-2 block walk to Biscayne Bay, which makes for a nice vista in the morning.

My rating is not based on my issues checking in, but only on the somewhat worn condition of the hotel. It is still a nice place, and if you get a corner room like I did it is fabulous.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room with windows on two walls - great views to the north, at least.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Gainesville, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013 via mobile

This is a very nice hotel. It was clean, quiet, check-in was quick and easy, everyone was friendly. We had a room with 2 queens when we checked in but they were able to find us a room with a king bed without a problem. The rooms are average size, they have big flats careen TVs set into the wall so it's not in the way, there's free coffee and water in your room, a desktop computer in the room, wifi is free, the bathrooms are roomy and new looking and clean. The pool is nice-- a little cool, I don't think it's heated but it was ok. Unfortunately the jacuzzi was closed for repairs on our visit. The fitness equipment is really good--treadmills, bikes, ellipticals, weight machines, free weights, mats, a ball and a foam roll. Water and towels are free at the gym. I had a massage at the spa and it was the best massage of my life! Request Rosie if you plan on getting a massage and splurge on the 80 minute massage--you won't regret it! Concierge was very helpful in directing us to places to eat and shop. You are generally within walking distance to a busy area with restaurants and about 1/4-1/2 mile to the Bayfront shopping area, which is really nice. W only stayed 2 nights, but we really enjoyed this hotel. Good location, good service, good amenities.

Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Milton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

Stayed here with my family for one night prior to going on a cruise. The hotel was clean and comfortable although it would have been better if we had two Queens instead of two Doubles. The food in the local restaurant and the service overall were excellent. I would recommend staying here.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Been to JW Marriott Miami? Share your experiences!