“Nice hotel in need of some freshening up” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
$25 Daily Credit
Ranked #27 of 129 Hotels in Miami
Durham, North Carolina
“Nice hotel in need of some freshening up”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

I stayed at the JW Marriott for two nights. It is a large hotel on a nice stretch of Brickell, not really walking distance to downtown (though you can take the Metro Mover, which is not too far away if you're feeling adventurous).

The lobby of the hotel is grand, but the rooms and upper-floor hallways could use a little renovation - carpets and furniture is a bit worn for a JWM. The elevators are really slow - I waited over 10 minutes for one at one point (I was on an upper floor). There is a convenient business center downstairs, and each room was equipped with a good working desk with a lot of outlets.

The staff and valets were very, very nice and helpful. However, two sort of strange things happened to me that indicate a possible lack of training and oversight. First, upon check-in I was told I needed some sort of voucher to check in, as I had booked the room through Priceline. I have never heard this before or since. I had to convince the desk clerk to let me check in.

Once she relented and gave me my key, I went to my room only to discover that it smelled very, very musty. The carpet was slightly damp, leading me to believe it had either just been cleaned or the previous hotel guest had flooded the bathroom. Housekeeping obviously should have caught this in turning the room around, and the room should have never been given to me.

The end result was positive: I went back to the desk (same clerk as before), politely described the condition of the room, and she moved me -- no questions asked -- to a fabulous corner room on the next-highest floor. The room had windows along both walls, and afforded a great view north to downtown Miami. I didn't want to leave.

Parking here is valet only and it is expensive -- annoying, but to be expected in this area of Miami where there's basically nowhere to park. The hotel hosts a lot of conventions, so if you go to get your car at 5:00 pm or so, you will be waiting for a LONG time. I can't really blame the hotel for this - their driveway is only so wide, but just be mindful of this when you leave. If it's close to 5:00, go to the bar and have a drink (traffic in Miami is horrific at this time anyway, so maybe have two drinks).

This area of Brickell is the "Financial District" of Miami, so there are a lot of office buildings and a lot of tall residential towers. There are a lot of good, higher end restaurants around - a Morton's across the street, for example. There are a couple of places with quicker fare, but I'd describe the majority of the dining as more high-end. Even though it isn't on the beach, its a short walk 1-2 block walk to Biscayne Bay, which makes for a nice vista in the morning.

My rating is not based on my issues checking in, but only on the somewhat worn condition of the hotel. It is still a nice place, and if you get a corner room like I did it is fabulous.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room with windows on two walls - great views to the north, at least.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Gainesville, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013 via mobile

This is a very nice hotel. It was clean, quiet, check-in was quick and easy, everyone was friendly. We had a room with 2 queens when we checked in but they were able to find us a room with a king bed without a problem. The rooms are average size, they have big flats careen TVs set into the wall so it's not in the way, there's free coffee and water in your room, a desktop computer in the room, wifi is free, the bathrooms are roomy and new looking and clean. The pool is nice-- a little cool, I don't think it's heated but it was ok. Unfortunately the jacuzzi was closed for repairs on our visit. The fitness equipment is really good--treadmills, bikes, ellipticals, weight machines, free weights, mats, a ball and a foam roll. Water and towels are free at the gym. I had a massage at the spa and it was the best massage of my life! Request Rosie if you plan on getting a massage and splurge on the 80 minute massage--you won't regret it! Concierge was very helpful in directing us to places to eat and shop. You are generally within walking distance to a busy area with restaurants and about 1/4-1/2 mile to the Bayfront shopping area, which is really nice. W only stayed 2 nights, but we really enjoyed this hotel. Good location, good service, good amenities.

Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Milton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

Stayed here with my family for one night prior to going on a cruise. The hotel was clean and comfortable although it would have been better if we had two Queens instead of two Doubles. The food in the local restaurant and the service overall were excellent. I would recommend staying here.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

Stayed 1 night on a recent business trip to Miami. What a place! The room had every convenience you could ask for, very large flat screen, even had a flat screen in the mirror in the bathroom. Very large space in the room with an excellent desk area. I love beds like these with the fluffy bottom and top and pillows with just the right stuffing. Wish I could come back more but most trips require me to stay elsewhere.

Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Plainview, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

Stayed at JW M M last weekend for a family wedding and enjoyed it immensely. Property is clean, modern. and has all thek amenities of a superior hotel. Every staff member we encountered was friendly, courteous, and eager to please. No doubt, this is the result of staff training for these purposes but many large hotels have such training without these same results.

Pool, on the 7 th floor is very nice and the health club is also located there. No extra charge for the club. Lobby is spacious and well appointed. There is a bar/lounge in the lobby which we did not get a chance to try and also one on the second floor. The second floor also has a nice restaurant (had breakfast there one morning, largely buffet but good) and another bar/lounge.

There are a few restaurants within walking distance but this is not a tourist area. Located south of South Beach in the financial district so the surrounding area is quiet especially on weekends. If your priority is to be in the middle of a touristy area (ie. South Beach), perhaps this location is not for you. However, a short cab ride will get you to South Beach, downtown Miami, Coconut Grove, etc. North Miami Beach is a bit further away.

For a pleasant, low key, and upscale stay, try the JW Marriott Miami.

Room Tip: Facing Brickell Avenue even from the 14 th floor can be about noisy, nothing terrible but if city no...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
baltimore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013 via mobile

Great staff, and perfect location! My fiance lost her id, they had all hands on deck to help find it. Valet help me search the car. He pulled it up in front of the property and there it was... thanks again!

• Stayed April 2013
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

Wow. Everything about this hotel is amazing. I stayed overnight for business in a suite (free upgrade for being gold elite). My room was incredible-- from the TV in the bathroom mirror to the most comfortable bed they spared nothing. I loved the chocolate turndown service and appreciated the attentive staff. The concierge level was excellent-- the best I've seen. The made-to-order omelets were perfect and the 24 hour snack bar was a nice touch! Overall this hotel is on par with the Ritz Carlton but it is in more of a business district than resort setting.

The only negative is the $32 a night mandatory valet fee. I know it's an industry standard, but I hate paying for parking.

• Stayed April 2013

Been to JW Marriott Miami? Share your experiences!