“Not well behaved reception.” 2 of 5 stars

4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1109 Brickell Ave, Miami, FL 33131 (Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #27 of 130 hotels in Miami
Jakarta, Indonesia
“Not well behaved reception.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

I did not expect much for this hotel, its a JW, and the standards are already there. they give free roll away, and free water everywhere. which is good. the rate given was fair. the breakfast buffet is a bit boring, yes if its only one or two days, but more than that nah.

I almost forgot why I choose this hotel, its because of the location, but I never live in the florida or simply in the US, once I enter the hotel, i dont know where to go.

I asked the male hotel reception for direction. he told me its very far to go everywhere, and I asked where is the nearest place for dining. so he asked me to walk left from the hotel main lobby, walk 4 blocks, then make a right turn and right turn again. and its end up, he making me walk for 12 blocks! to reach the area where there is publix and such. and it took me almost 45mins.

.... when its just actually a two or block away from the hotel. which is turn right, cross the street after one block, and just go straight. there is that area, just 5 mins away. I dont know what is his intention doing it, but its really annoying and not funny at all.

i'd rate 4 for this hotel, but this experience makes me fell pissed till today.

Room Tip: ask for a higher floor to get the sea view.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

421 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

Great location for business purposes. I was very disappointed with the service, definite not up to JW Marriott's standards. People are not as friendly and helpful. I was charged for a no show, when it was the hotel's mistake. Nothing was done about it. I will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed September 2012
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

I spent one night here and was very happy with the hotel as well as the service. The staff were friendly and courteous, the property clean and well-maintained. I was very happy and would recommend to any business traveller who stays in the area.

Room Tip: As for a room facing away from the street. The view is not great but the street does get busy so if...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

I stayed here for 3 nights and was not impressed. I expected a JW Marriott but what I got was a dated 1980s Marriott. The location, lobby and the lounge are great - JW worthy but the rooms, not so much. Dated furniture, old carpets and age old bathroom fixtures made the hotel feel neglected. I would recommend this place for someone who is looking for value over luxury. You may be better off staying at the JW marriott marquis down the street - more expensive but you will get all the bells and whistles for it!

• Stayed September 2012
al
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

Just wanted to share a recommendation of a very comforting and professional staff and atmosphere. I had a fundraiser scheduled in town and hadn't the slightest clue as to where to stay. I saw advertisements for this establishment and chose to give it a shot. Glad I did! The rooms were elegant, comfortable, and made me feel at home. The staff was overly accomodating and professional. I will most certainly pass on the praise to friends and colleagues looking for a great experience!

Room Tip: I stayed in a larger suite that was located higher up and absolutely loved the morning view!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
SF
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

I am a starwood and hyatt FF addict but since my partner is a marriott fan we stayed there for the last night. It is a lovely hotel and the location is great on Brickell Avenue for walking and some restaurants. The club room was very nice the evening food was good. Looking forward to breakfast there in the morning. Bed was very comfortable and the hotel very quiet.
We stayed at the Hyatt Regency down the street and it is a bit of a dump compared to this JW Marriott. The Hyatt has constant noise from the bridge next to it as well as traffic. I won't stay there again as a result. This is a much better selection.

Room Tip: City view high up
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

I was staying in JW Marriott Hotel when I was in Miami. On my second day of staying, after I go back to my room during the evening, I realized my cashmere scarf gone missing in my room. The last time I saw my scarf, it was sitting in my bad. I call to the hotel service line right away, and they told me to it was too late, so I have to contact them the next morning. On August 23rd (the next day) morning, I contact them and they told me the cleaning lady must took it when she was changing the bed sheet, so they are going to check the housekeeping department to see if they can find it. However, even before I check out the hotel, they did not contact me as they promised me to. I also report to the lost prevention department who promised me that they will do the fallow up. However, I still not hear anything from anyone in the hotel yet. When I was in Miami I gave them my phone # and e-mail to contact me...
This is very upsetting, I though JW Marriott hotel is a nice trust worthy hotel; however, it turn out they are very irresponsible. It seems like their staff just keep pushing your problem to someone else.
Therefore, I like to share my unhappy experience to who might consider to stay in this hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

Been to JW Marriott Miami? Share your experiences!