“Inexpensive, but not the usual JW” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book early and save 20%!
Ranked #32 of 120 Hotels in Miami
Atlanta, Georgia
“Inexpensive, but not the usual JW”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here for 3 nights and was not impressed. I expected a JW Marriott but what I got was a dated 1980s Marriott. The location, lobby and the lounge are great - JW worthy but the rooms, not so much. Dated furniture, old carpets and age old bathroom fixtures made the hotel feel neglected. I would recommend this place for someone who is looking for value over luxury. You may be better off staying at the JW marriott marquis down the street - more expensive but you will get all the bells and whistles for it!

• Stayed September 2012

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

Just wanted to share a recommendation of a very comforting and professional staff and atmosphere. I had a fundraiser scheduled in town and hadn't the slightest clue as to where to stay. I saw advertisements for this establishment and chose to give it a shot. Glad I did! The rooms were elegant, comfortable, and made me feel at home. The staff was overly accomodating and professional. I will most certainly pass on the praise to friends and colleagues looking for a great experience!

Room Tip: I stayed in a larger suite that was located higher up and absolutely loved the morning view!
SF
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

I am a starwood and hyatt FF addict but since my partner is a marriott fan we stayed there for the last night. It is a lovely hotel and the location is great on Brickell Avenue for walking and some restaurants. The club room was very nice the evening food was good. Looking forward to breakfast there in the morning. Bed was very comfortable and the hotel very quiet.
We stayed at the Hyatt Regency down the street and it is a bit of a dump compared to this JW Marriott. The Hyatt has constant noise from the bridge next to it as well as traffic. I won't stay there again as a result. This is a much better selection.

Room Tip: City view high up
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

I was staying in JW Marriott Hotel when I was in Miami. On my second day of staying, after I go back to my room during the evening, I realized my cashmere scarf gone missing in my room. The last time I saw my scarf, it was sitting in my bad. I call to the hotel service line right away, and they told me to it was too late, so I have to contact them the next morning. On August 23rd (the next day) morning, I contact them and they told me the cleaning lady must took it when she was changing the bed sheet, so they are going to check the housekeeping department to see if they can find it. However, even before I check out the hotel, they did not contact me as they promised me to. I also report to the lost prevention department who promised me that they will do the fallow up. However, I still not hear anything from anyone in the hotel yet. When I was in Miami I gave them my phone # and e-mail to contact me...
This is very upsetting, I though JW Marriott hotel is a nice trust worthy hotel; however, it turn out they are very irresponsible. It seems like their staff just keep pushing your problem to someone else.
Therefore, I like to share my unhappy experience to who might consider to stay in this hotel.

Tallahassee, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

Only stayed here one night on the way out of the country, but what a fabulous property. Got the Govt Contractor rate which was less than you would pay to stay at a Hampton Inn. The staff was friendly and the room was gorgeous (top notch). Conceirge lounge was better than most. The service in one of the dining rooms (can't remember which one) was rather slow the next day, but the food was actually quite good. On a Sunday night the hotel itself and the surrounding area was pretty quiet, so can't commment on the "entertainment value," but I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: I had a corner room so there were windows on both sides with a small balcony. Very nice.
Miami, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

This hotel is nice, consistent with Marriott standards. But do not waste your money on the spa. I booked a 75 minute Swedish massage there last week with a massage therapist named Michelle. The room was very pretty and clean, playing nice spa music, and they use nice smelling essential oil blends. However, the massage basically consisted of the massage therapist rubbing oil on my skin for an hour, which I could have myself done at home. I asked her to apply more pressure, she replied "ok", but continued to stand there and just rub oil on my skin, no pressure, no muscle work at all. She clearly did not want to work, and I just wanted to leave at that point because I was bored.

When I went to pay, Michelle asked how the massage was. I told her that if was not what I had asked for - I didn't feel as if I had even gotten a massage at all. Her response: "Well it's a Swedish massage, so there's no pressure, and there is an automatic 20% gratuity." How's that for customer service? I paid and left because I really just wanted to get out of there and did not feel like arguing about it.

I've had plenty of great Swedish massages, so blaming her lack of effort on the Swedish massage technique was a pretty lame excuse. I left two messages for the spa manager and was told by the staff that the manager is also the owner and is rarely at the spa (which explains a lot). Finally, a week later, someone named Tatiana calls me back. She said she owns a company that manages several spas, including the one at the Marriott. I tried to explain to her what happened and that I was not happy with the service or the treatment I received. She was very defensive and had an attitude from the beginning, and told me "I know how to hire massage therapists. I manage several spas and all the therapists I hire meet my standards." She also tried to blame the crappy quality of the massage on the fact that it was a Swedish massage. I asked her why the spa still demands a 20% gratuity when someone is not happy with the service. Even after me asking that question she never made any attempt to correct the problem and clearly had no concern for customer service. Finally, after I explained to her that customers have a legal right not to pay gratuity when they are unhappy with the service, she agreed to refund my 20% gratuity. Wow.

Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
5 Thank Dana B
Curitiba, PR
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

My mother and I we had been there for a week, and we´ve got a stay with vallet, internet and breakfest. The staff were very helpfull, polited, the rooms were clean, the building is great, the restaurants are very good and have a variety to serve al tastes and budgets. The breakfest was perfect! The vallet was very fast at most. The Wifi service could be better..almost dead. The bathroom is very good and well cleaned, bathroom amenities like soap, shampoo, cream, etc,, are great... The only detail that wasnt perfect was a noise from the toillet that never stopped, but i didnt complain, so its my fault, too. I do recommend this hotel. its better than some 5 stars I knew.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business