“Nice location, excellent room tastefully done” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
$25 Daily Credit
Ranked #28 of 129 Hotels in Miami
SF
“Nice location, excellent room tastefully done”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

I am a starwood and hyatt FF addict but since my partner is a marriott fan we stayed there for the last night. It is a lovely hotel and the location is great on Brickell Avenue for walking and some restaurants. The club room was very nice the evening food was good. Looking forward to breakfast there in the morning. Bed was very comfortable and the hotel very quiet.
We stayed at the Hyatt Regency down the street and it is a bit of a dump compared to this JW Marriott. The Hyatt has constant noise from the bridge next to it as well as traffic. I won't stay there again as a result. This is a much better selection.

Room Tip: City view high up
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

I was staying in JW Marriott Hotel when I was in Miami. On my second day of staying, after I go back to my room during the evening, I realized my cashmere scarf gone missing in my room. The last time I saw my scarf, it was sitting in my bad. I call to the hotel service line right away, and they told me to it was too late, so I have to contact them the next morning. On August 23rd (the next day) morning, I contact them and they told me the cleaning lady must took it when she was changing the bed sheet, so they are going to check the housekeeping department to see if they can find it. However, even before I check out the hotel, they did not contact me as they promised me to. I also report to the lost prevention department who promised me that they will do the fallow up. However, I still not hear anything from anyone in the hotel yet. When I was in Miami I gave them my phone # and e-mail to contact me...
This is very upsetting, I though JW Marriott hotel is a nice trust worthy hotel; however, it turn out they are very irresponsible. It seems like their staff just keep pushing your problem to someone else.
Therefore, I like to share my unhappy experience to who might consider to stay in this hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Tallahassee, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

Only stayed here one night on the way out of the country, but what a fabulous property. Got the Govt Contractor rate which was less than you would pay to stay at a Hampton Inn. The staff was friendly and the room was gorgeous (top notch). Conceirge lounge was better than most. The service in one of the dining rooms (can't remember which one) was rather slow the next day, but the food was actually quite good. On a Sunday night the hotel itself and the surrounding area was pretty quiet, so can't commment on the "entertainment value," but I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: I had a corner room so there were windows on both sides with a small balcony. Very nice.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Miami, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

This hotel is nice, consistent with Marriott standards. But do not waste your money on the spa. I booked a 75 minute Swedish massage there last week with a massage therapist named Michelle. The room was very pretty and clean, playing nice spa music, and they use nice smelling essential oil blends. However, the massage basically consisted of the massage therapist rubbing oil on my skin for an hour, which I could have myself done at home. I asked her to apply more pressure, she replied "ok", but continued to stand there and just rub oil on my skin, no pressure, no muscle work at all. She clearly did not want to work, and I just wanted to leave at that point because I was bored.

When I went to pay, Michelle asked how the massage was. I told her that if was not what I had asked for - I didn't feel as if I had even gotten a massage at all. Her response: "Well it's a Swedish massage, so there's no pressure, and there is an automatic 20% gratuity." How's that for customer service? I paid and left because I really just wanted to get out of there and did not feel like arguing about it.

I've had plenty of great Swedish massages, so blaming her lack of effort on the Swedish massage technique was a pretty lame excuse. I left two messages for the spa manager and was told by the staff that the manager is also the owner and is rarely at the spa (which explains a lot). Finally, a week later, someone named Tatiana calls me back. She said she owns a company that manages several spas, including the one at the Marriott. I tried to explain to her what happened and that I was not happy with the service or the treatment I received. She was very defensive and had an attitude from the beginning, and told me "I know how to hire massage therapists. I manage several spas and all the therapists I hire meet my standards." She also tried to blame the crappy quality of the massage on the fact that it was a Swedish massage. I asked her why the spa still demands a 20% gratuity when someone is not happy with the service. Even after me asking that question she never made any attempt to correct the problem and clearly had no concern for customer service. Finally, after I explained to her that customers have a legal right not to pay gratuity when they are unhappy with the service, she agreed to refund my 20% gratuity. Wow.

Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Curitiba, PR
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

My mother and I we had been there for a week, and we´ve got a stay with vallet, internet and breakfest. The staff were very helpfull, polited, the rooms were clean, the building is great, the restaurants are very good and have a variety to serve al tastes and budgets. The breakfest was perfect! The vallet was very fast at most. The Wifi service could be better..almost dead. The bathroom is very good and well cleaned, bathroom amenities like soap, shampoo, cream, etc,, are great... The only detail that wasnt perfect was a noise from the toillet that never stopped, but i didnt complain, so its my fault, too. I do recommend this hotel. its better than some 5 stars I knew.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Coral Gables, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

My friend and I went to Miami last week as we both had some time off from work. We decided to stay at the JW Marriott downtown as the rate was quite decent and that it looked quite good for what we had saw in the pictures. Check - in was efficient, Valet was quick in assisting with bags and parking our rental car. At this point everything seemed great until we got to the room.. As soon as I walked in I questioned the whole JW brand? This hotel is definitely not up to par with other JW in the world and definitely is not worthy of having it in it's name. The room was clean, Just worn out. The washroom was small but get the job done for the night we were there. Asides from the room the thing that really let me down was the service provided by the overnight staff, They could not care less, I called during two occasion to report my internet access down and they did not do anything about, not even offer an apology. Also very unprofessional at handling incoming calls at one point not even a simple"Good Evening" was given just a rude Hello.

All in all if I wanted Howard Johnson treatment I would have stayed their, I am really dissapointed that this hotel is misleading people with their name. I regret even staying the night as I only figured out the next day about the other JW property down the road (Marquis) existed.
We moved there for the second night completely different ball game!
Much better

Will I return to JW Marriott Miami? Not even if it was free!

Room Tip: Stay at the Marquis instead
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Aruba
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

Stayed here for 4 nights and enjoyed it. staff is really friendly, especially at the front desk. hotel is clean and beds are really comfortable. 10-15 min walk to the brickell shops/mall with a nice ambiance at night and good places to eat. would definitely stay here again. only negative is parking is $30 per day.. but it is downtown so what do you expect? internet was free! which was unexpected! so that was a nice bonus!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to JW Marriott Miami? Share your experiences!