“Nice Hotel -- Not the Best in Downtown” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Up to 15% off + More
Ranked #27 of 130 hotels in Miami
San Diego
“Nice Hotel -- Not the Best in Downtown”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2011

If you're looking for a nice hotel downtown, this is a great place to stay. The JW Marriott is perfect for someone just looking for a nice bed and little more. There is a pool but it's nothing special.

The decor and style of the hotel interior/rooms is a little outdated. There are so many great boutique and modern hotels throughout downtown Miami (even the JW Marriott Marquis) that are the same star rating but much nicer. This hotel does not have floor to ceiling windows like many others downtown and very few rooms have a water view.

I have no real complaints as the staff was friendly and welcoming -- but in this price and star range I just didn't feel that it was as nice as it could have been.

Room Tip: High floors are good -- right now there is construction on Brickell, so a room facing East is best.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business

419 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Alexandria, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2011

Sure, it isn't on the beach, but it's clean, has a beautiful restaurant for breakfast and a great bar for working/eating or hanging out with friends. Beds were fluffy and comfortable. Awesome business center with free printing/internet, which was so nice and I rarely see. The best part about this hotel was the service. The front desk staff was so friendly and went out of their way to make sure we were getting the best rates and threw in free continental breakfast, even. The building has a tropical theme but not cheesy - almost like you're in a resort in Mexico. Would defintely stay here again! TIP- take cab/rental car to South Beach and go to The National Hotel. Pay "Day Rate" - $25 for full access to their gorgeous pool and private beach. They have a bar near pools and also waitstaff on beach. $25 also covers towels, tables and umbrellas. Best deal around!

Room Tip: Had a corner suite suite through their upgrade program ($15/night) - definitely worth it. View of wh...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011 via mobile

What a fabulous hotel experience. There is not a better location than Brickell Ave. The service was impeccable and the staff were friendly, warm and extremely professional. The hotel was spotless and the bedding was phenomenal.

• Stayed September 2011
Princeton, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2011

It not always true what you get, what you pay for. This place in down-town Miami although with street construction, has some issues accessing the property, is definitely a place to stay. I would highly recommend. Down-side-- yes there is a parking fee. However, downtown parking is not free in any city, so why complain.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2011

Upon arrival the hotel looks great from the outside, but when you get inside the ambiance and decor is old and outdated, it was also very muggy and musty inside. There is construction going on in front of and on the sides of the hotel, which is very noisey and makes for an uncomfortable night of sleep. If you are looking for a modern, plush and a cozy stay you are at the Wrong place!!! Also, when I booked the hotel I asked how far it was from South Beach and was told it was 3 miles (about 5 minutes), this was not the case! The hotel was about 10 miles from South Beach and the cab rides were always $30 or more each way. Had I known this I would have payed a little more to stay on South Beach. There is nothing near this hotel, no restaurants, shopping, bars or anything?! What a waste!!!

I get to the hotel and go to the front desk to check in and I requested if the only the room and tax be authorized because I was using my debit card and all incidentals be paid with cash. I have did this several times in the past at Marriott properties and it was fine. The front desk agent Erika agreed and said this was fine. She checks me in and gives me my keys and directs me to the wrong floor. I finally find my room and it was gross. There is no ventilaion, the room was muggy and musty and the floors were damp, yuck!

I then check my my bank account and notice that Erika had authorized my card for two times, double the amount discussed???! I was livid. I call her immediatley and she agrues that she only authorized the room and tax as agreed. She lies and tells me the system automatically takes the full authorization which she has no control over, which is a lie. I am a former Marriott employee and worked out of the system they currently use (PMS). She apologizes and says it will take about a week for the charges to drop, which is a dissapointment to me being this is money in my bank account that is on hold for my entire vacation. She apologizes and offers me and my guest each a free breakfast voucher. She even said she'd call the finance department to see if the extra authorizations could be dropped immediatley. While on the phone with her some random guy from housekeeping comes into my room without knocking?! He ask what time I'm checking out, I replied we just checked in he looks confused and keeps asking me questions, I tell him he needs to speak with the front desk. This was very rude and unprofessional, he didn't even apologize. Erika, says she'll call me back after she speaks to finance. She calls me around 10:30am and says there was nothing they could do to reverse he authorizations at this point and reminds me breakfast ends at 11am. I ask her if she is sending someone up with the vouchers and she replies yes. I waited until 10:50am before I called her to inquire about the vouchers as we wanted to order breakfast before the 11am cutoff time. She wasn't available, so I explain the situation to the operator who says she'll get someone up to our room with the voucher immediatley. At 11:08am a gentleman comes to our room with the vouchers for the breakfast for the next day. I tell him they were suppose to be for today, he said he'd ask and see if they could get us two lunch vouchers. Ten minutes later, Erika calls me with an attitude saying I should have came downstairs before 11 if you wanted breakfast today. I told her that she stated she would have the vouchers sent up to our room and she never mentioned us coming downstairs. She then says she'll give us free lunch with in-room dining. I order the in-room dining and when it comes the gentleman ask us for our method of payment, I explain to him it was complementary. While eating, in-room dining called my room Four times regarding payment? With every call I explained our lunch was to be comp'd per Erika and on the fourth call I asked if they could call her to sort this out.

This staff lacks professionalism and communication between the departments. The entire stay was a disater! Between trying to get fresh towels everyday and uncleanliness of the facility, I was very disappointed. Upon checking out there was an $18 charge, I inquired as to what it was and was told it was a movie. I explained we never ordered a movie? She said you had it on the music channel for 30 minutes! I explained to her that when you put it on that channel it does not state there is charge for it, nowhere did it state there was a charge or ask if you agree to the charges. I told her had we know there was a charge for it we would have never put it on that channel. She said sorry but there is nothing she could do. After all the disappoints at this hotel and she couldn't waive an $18 movie charge???! Wow, when I worked a the Marriott a couple years back the customer was always right and a small accomodation like that would have really been nice. The staff was rude, unprofessional and cold. I will never stay at this hotel again and do not recommend anyone stay here.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Nashville, TN
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

Was with a large group and this is not the hotel to travel with a group to. Did not feel like the management was very helpful and it trickled down from there.
My first impression was when I had to lug my luggage up a flight of stairs to get to the front deck. You can go under the hotel and have fewer steps to lug your luggage up, but the staff would rather watch you struggle out front. There is a small elevator to get you up those stairs in the back, but you have to look for it.
The pool was not too bad and the fitness center looked pretty nice. The pool was aluminum lined which was pretty interesting. You had to hunt to find a towel. They were not at the pool when I was there.
A few blocks away there is an area that has a bunch of great places to eat and a Publix. There is a great small sushi bar right next to the hotel.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Milwaukee, WI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2011

I stayed here for business meetings that were conducted onsite at the hotel. The staff did a great job supporting our needs and the lunches served were exceptionally good. The hotel is in a good location downtown, there are many restaurant choices within walking distance.

The rooms were okay, a bit "tired" though (and I was on the concierge level).

Overall, this is a solid choice for a business hotel, I will be back for future meetings!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business

Been to JW Marriott Miami? Share your experiences!