“Great pre-cruise short stay” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
$25 Daily Credit
Ranked #29 of 129 Hotels in Miami
UK
“Great pre-cruise short stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2007

We stayed at this hotel for one night before a cruise from the Port of Miami (having arrived from the UK).

I did a LOT of research before choosing a pre-cruise hotel in Miami. The location of the Bayside Marketplace Intercontinental was VERY appealing, but many of the recent reviews on that hotel have been disappointing. The main Miami Hyatt also didn't have great press. In the end, I narrowed the choice down to the JW Marriott or the Mandarin Oriental. The consistently good reviews and the price led me to choose the JW Marriott - we weren't to be disappointed.

We were flying in from the UK (connecting in Orlando). Our flight into Miami was delayed and we eventually arrived at the hotel, by taxi, quite late (about 10.30pm). We were checked in very quickly and efficiently - the staff were friendly too.

I was very impressed with the room: very tastefully furnished, very clean, lovely bed and linens, very nice large flat screen TV mounted on the wall, well appointed spotless luxurious bathroom. The room was also very quiet: didn't hear any noise from Brickell Avenue or from the corridor. It was a perfect short stay hotel room.

The whole hotel was very modern, sophisticated, tasteful and spotlessly clean.

I was surprised how quiet the hotel seemed to be - maybe because we stayed on a Friday night: I assume that the hotel is probably a lot busier, with business people, during week nights.

It was getting late, but - because our body clocks were so confused - we popped down to the casual bar/restaurant for a quick bite to eat. I had a shrimp caesar salad, husband had a burger - food arrived quickly and both were good. Service was a little "laid back", but there weren't many customers and we didn't have any trouble getting the attention of the servers when we wanted something.

There was what is supposedly a very nice restaurant next to the JW Marriott - the Gordon Biersch Brewery Restaurant. Also a Morton's across the road from the hotel. We didn't have time to try either unfortunately.

The bed was excellent and I slept like a princess...

I used the gym the next morning - I THINK that it may be 24 hour, but am not sure. I was there by 6.15am and didn't see any other guests there (just one cleaner) - I left at about 7.30am. Cardio machines are pretty good and there are TVs there that you can plug headphones into. I thought that the resistance machines were few and very disappointing. There were plenty of complimentary bottles of water available in the gym (also some in the room and some in reception) - a nice touch. I am probably spoilt by having such a good gym at home, but I thought that the JW Marriott gym was perfectly acceptable.

We didn't use the swimming pool, but it looked nice: pretty small, but nice for a quick dip.

We had breakfast in the main hotel restaurant - a HUGE selection: what looked like a very good buffet, plus a good a la carte choice too. It was fairly pricey, but for a treat (or if you are on an expense account) it is fine. Good food and good service - very enjoyable.

Check-out was as efficient and friendly as check-in. One of the doormen hailed a taxi for us and it was a short taxi ride (about 15 minutes and about $25) to the Port of Miami.

Was very satisfied with our stay - this hotel is spot on for short pre-cruise stays or business trips. If you are looking for a "resort" hotel or a bustling family-oriented hotel, then look elsewhere. But it suited us perfectly and I would have absolutely no hesitation in staying here again or recommending it to others.

• Liked — Very clean, tasteful, new and sophisticated
  • Disliked — you are dependent on car/taxis really
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2007

Stayed here for a few nights back in July. Had not been to Miami recently and this place was available for a reasonable rate. Showed up and as a Marriott Rewards Platinum Member was given a room on the concierge level. One of the nicer rooms I've had. Huge plasma TV attached to the wall. Computer in room providing free internet access (also had the option of using a laptop and paying for internet). Spacious bathroom with scale and small tv. Bed was extremely comfortable. Housekeeping service was great, room cleaned both days in a timely fashion. Also impressed with the turn down service provided.

Was pretty late the night I got in so I just ordered room service. Quick, efficient, and friendly service. Food was good, also. Concierge lounge open on weekends which is a nice feature. Great breakfast served in the lounge. Did not try dining in the hotel restaurants or bar.

Rooftop pool area was nice, as was the spa area which led to the pool.

Really the only thing I disliked about this hotel was the parking situation. Valet only. I understand that it's downtown Miami but the $27/night charge seemed steep. Also, I may be mistaken but I believe the Conrad next door offers self parking. Location not that great, either. Not a lot going on downtown. Yes, this is primarily a business hotel. I can't complain about that too much as I was aware when booking. Mainly just wanted to try this JW hotel out, despite its location.

Would stay here again for business but not if I was only in town for fun.

• Liked — Room, Staff
  • Disliked — Valet parking only
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Seattle, WA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2007

I booked the JW Marriott for a business trip based on positive reviews I had read here and I was not disappointed. The hotel is very much a business hotel. Those looking for a Miami experience should book another area. Brickell is very much about the financial center, although they seem to be trying to create a more traditional community with hundreds of condos being built and additional restaurants and shops. I was there on weekend and the whole area essentially shuts down. Like I said, don't expect it to be the center of any leisure stay, although South Beach is a short drive away. For business it meets all expectations: quiet, well-appointed rooms with incredibly comfortable beds and great wireless internet access. The tv in the room was the largest I've seen in any hotel, and it had a great range of free channels. The concierge was friendly and quickly printed out directions to my meeting. Other staff were also very friendly and helpful. A great experience overall. My only complaint would be the ridiculous price of parking at $27 and a pool that lacked any character---but if you just want to do some laps, it's ok. Overall a B+

• Liked — Amazing beds, super cleanliness
  • Disliked — Parking too expensive and a very boring pool
Princeton, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2007

The JW Marriott Miami on Brickell Avenue is a 22 story, 296 room hotel in Miami's financial district. It's a four-diamond AAA hotel and is about 8 or 9 miles from MIA and maybe 5 miles form the Port of Miami. I had a coupon for buy one night, get one free so I splurged. The Concierge lounge in this hotel is actually open on the weekends so when I figured in that I would get free breakfast, snacks and hors d'oeuvres (a/k/a dinner!) the rate, while higher than I would pay normally, worked out to be what I would have spent for food.

The hotel is s few blocks' walk from the MetroMover and several buses stop out front. I hadn't been able to figure this all out ahead so I wound up taking a longish (5 blocks or so, in the HOT, with luggage) walk from the metrorail station as I was continuing my quest to not use cabs. Miami-Dade's public transportation website needs to be better organized, as does that of neighboring Broward county. NOTE TO BOTH: check out the Chicago Transit Authority! They make it easy to plan trips, buy passes and use their system. but I digress.

I asked one of Miami's finest where the JW was located and he pointed me in the right direction. I made a couple stops at benches in the shade on the way. When I finally got to the hotel, I rested a few minutes on the steps before going around to the side entrance. I passed 2 doormen and one valet parking attendant. Do you think any of them offered help with my bags? Help with the door? You are correct. The answer is no!

Sat in the lobby a few minutes to cool off and went to check in. I told the desk clerk that no one offered help. I think I shocked him as all he said was "oh, well they are different than us." Huh?? I got checked in, confused him with my certificate but was finally given my key to my Concierge-level room. I was on the 20th floor, close to the elevators but not so close that all I heard was noise. Actually, the rooms were fairly quiet. As you are in the financial area, there isn't much of anything to look at aside from other skyscrapers! Oh well-if I wanted a view, I would have gone to Biscayne Bay or South Beach.

The room was beautiful Big, fluffy king-sized bed. Slept very well. Large leather armchair and matching ottoman, big, plasma TV with a decent selection of channels (but I cant recall which ones! Darn!) A desk and chair and a computer! To my surprise, that computer offered free internet access! No printer, but I believe that if you needed a boarding pass, the desk or concierge can do that for you. Also, the in-room coffee maker is actually an espresso machine. I tried using it, the coffee was horrible! Maybe it was just me! It was fun to use, but it probably helps to be a mechanical engineer, or Starbucks barista to get it to work properly!!

The bathroom was huge! Everything was in one room, but it was nice sized with great toiletries. The tub also had a shelf thing so you could but say, a book on it and read! Three phones (two in the bedroom, one in the bathroom), a rug, vanity seat, lighted makeup mirror, two robes and a mini bar. I picked up the mini bar menu and is was all wet and yucky! In the corner of the room was a wooden valet stand, next to which was a nice, red nail polish stain. I noticed a couple other little goof-ups and told the desk. I got a prompt apology and 5000 points credited to my Marriott account.

I didn't use any of the restaurants as I was able to get food in the Concierge lounge, but the breakfast menu had the standard Marriott offerings, including the buffet, at substantially higher prices! I think the buffet was over $20.00. Yes, it's Miami, yes it's the business district and most people here have expense accounts, but get serious! The hotel does offer 24-hour room service, so if you wake up with the munchies, you can get food!

The concierge lounge was lovely. All of the concierge staff here were very polite, great to talk to and knowledgeable. I also didn't have trouble with the lobby concierge as other reviews here have mentioned. However; I can see that there could be some trouble as a few people at the desk were a bit, shall we say, clueless?

Interestingly, beer and wine in the Concierge lounge are complimentary. Works for me! Several wines and beers were offered-not just domestic things like Coors light either! The evening snacks were tasty and enough that I didn't need dinner. Also, each night there were a couple nice, fresh cakes and pastries for dessert. One evening, the chafing dish was hot but the food was not. The nice man promptly called the kitchen for new food and heated some things up for me! No complaints, no excuses, just a solution. I really think he read the kitchen the "riot act" as a chef was up there in about 5 minutes with another big dish full of hot hors d'oeuvres.

Breakfast in the morning was nice as well. All the tables were set up like they would be in a restaurant. There was a large selection of pastries, breads and cereals (no oatmeal here though-only in the restaurant.) Meats, cheeses and lox with toppings, eggs and bacon were also offered along with juices and fresh fruits. Again, very nice, very classy and very yummy. During the afternoon there was whole fresh fruit, bagged chips and sodas available. No complaints here, just pleasant surprises.

The JW Marriott is surrounded by banks, condos and foreign embassies. You'll; hear lots of languages here. You can walk to a Publix and a Walgreens, about 3 blocks away. Also, the MetroMover is a short, two-block walk. I rode this a couple times, once to go to church, and a couple times to walk around Bayside. The JW Marriott is mainly a business-oriented hotel. As such, there isn't much to do in the area. The pool area is nice, but it isn't "resort-like" so if that is what you are looking for, this hotel may not be for you. There are a few restaurants nearby, one is a Gordon Biersch brew pub just across the street. I didn't dine in this particular location, but I have eaten in them before and the food is good, with reasonable prices, although I didn't look at the menu here, so they may be a little higher.

Cabs are plentiful, the bus stops just a short distance away and you can park your car (or valet) for the "bargain" price of $27 per day. If you hop the MetroMover over to Bayside, there are other shops and lots of restaurants including a Hard Rock Cafe and Bubba Gump's, plus a food court. Also, there are hundreds of restaurants in Miami. You can also head over to Coconut Grove which you can reach by bus or taxi. All in all, this is a solid, four-diamond hotel. If you want a nice, quiet place for a getaway or a pre/post cruise stay, check it out. They do offer some packages and specials so check them out. You get what you pay for and, aside from a few bumps, I would return if I could get a decent rate.

• Liked — Gorgeous, comfy, concierge lounge open weekends
  • Disliked — doorman didn't offer assistance, a couple little cleanliness issues
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
So Fla
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2007

Service, Quality, and style. you wlil find it all at this wonderful marriott property.

Stayed May 2007
Philadelphia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2007

We stayed at the JW Marriott from 5/23 - 5/27/2007. Hotel is right in Downtown Miami, away from South Beach. Hotel was great, very nice hotel with great pool and gym. Highly recommend the JW Marriott!

Rooms: Fluffy luxurious beds, with a 42 inch flat screen television and nice size bathroom.

Valet Parking: Efficient, but kind of pricey at $ 27 per day.

Food: We had the buffet breakfast it was convenient and fair. For $ 45 for two, to me, it wasn't worth the price.

Housekeeping, Front Desk Staff and Business Center all were great.

Stay at this hotel, although not in South Beach great luxury hotel!

• Stayed May 2007
New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2007

The entire area is building highrises, banks, etc. so don't expect much morning sleep. Don't expect much from the concierge either. On the day we checked in I asked her to call Hertz to find out when my car was going to be delivered. She actually called the hotel. She obviously didn't know where she was or possibly if she should be in a horizontal position. Housekeeping is another deal. They snoop through hotel guests garbage. The hotel is non-smoking and housekeeping found a wrapped up cigarette butt in my garbage so they ran to brown nose Mr. or Ms. Big Shot. Before I know it I have a Smoke Recovery letter in my room with a $250 charge. I went to one of the many managers and she took it off my bill. She told me that they check with housekeeping and asked if she smelled smoke. Housekeeping said "No". Of course not, I didn't smoke in the room. A week before arrival I made a spa reservation for a body wrap and message. The girl, who did more giggling than talking called me about 4 times to get my credit card number, to confirm my 9:30 appointment, to change my time to 8:30, and to giggle. When I went to the spa, they were going to give me a body wax not body wrap. The woman said "The Chinese girl doesn't speak English well". So I ended up getting back to back messages because the woman told me I was going to be charged anyway. My husband was accused of stealing by a valet person. We parked our car in valet every night. My daughter and son-in-law pulled their car into valet, and we had lunch. When it was time for them to take their car out, my husband gave the valet $10 (the cost was $9). The valet guy came back and gave $11 in change to my son-in-law. My husband said he gave the valet guy $10 not $20. All of a sudden, the valet guy started screaming at my husband for stealing money. The cashier girl came out and was confused. But my husband is honest. They didn't even apologize. Additionally, we were never told that if visitors eat in any of their restaurants, there is no charge for parking. My daughter and son-in-law ate with us at the hotel 2 times. Guess no one bothered to mention this. I could go on and on. Oh and after speaking to a few managers they all apologized for such horrific treatment, then the wine, cheese, crackers started coming to our room. Too late for apologies. Please be warned, don't stay here and if you do, make sure you monitor all staff moves. They are rude, crude and very unprofessional. Their English isn't the greatest either. The concierge level club smells rotten and stale. If you ask for coffee after a certain afternoon time, you just may be asked if you want the coffee to stay or go after you're told its 2 hours old. The beds are uncomfortable, oh and bring a scrub brush and soap so you can clean the bathroom. They install a tv in the bathroom hoping you will be distracted and not see the dirt. Ask for towels, otherwise you'll end up using a washcloth or if you're lucky 2 washcloths to dry yourself off after a shower. They must crack the whip with housekeeping - we were lucky, we had 1/2 roll of toilet paper. Shall I go on? I think not. Its a HORROR HOTEL.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to JW Marriott Miami? Share your experiences!