“Great staff and a safe place for a pre-cruise stay!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of River Park Hotel & Suites Downtown/Convention Center

You added River Park Hotel & Suites Downtown/Convention Center to your Saves list
River Park Hotel & Suites Downtown/Convention Center
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   100 SE 4th Street, Miami, FL 33131 (Downtown)   |
Ranked #101 of 129 Hotels in Miami
Grand Rapids, Michigan
“Great staff and a safe place for a pre-cruise stay!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2014

My husband and I stayed at the River Park Hotel and Suites in November 2013 for one night before our cruise. While it was nothing to write home about, it was one of the least expensive hotels downtown Miami convenient to the cruise port.

The Pros:
Convenient to public transit. We were able to take the metromover from the hotel to Bayside Marketplace to enjoy some last minute shopping before our trip. We also took the metromover to the cruise port the morning of our cruise, avoiding a $15-$20 cab ride once you figure in the tip.

Incredibly helpful staff! We were pleasantly surprised by the courteous staff and their willingness to help us out. My husband was in dire need of a haircut, and several of the male staff members came to the front desk to recommend barber shops in the area. One of the female employees also gave us some touring tips, as well as let us know where was safe to visit after dark.

Safe and Clean. The hotel itself was very secure, and I did not feel uneasy at any time. The rooms were clean, and the beds were comfortable.

The downside:

The breakfast spread left much to be desired. The restaurant was under renovation while we were there, so there was construction debris all around.

The rooms are dated. It's an old Clarion hotel that is no longer a franchisee. There's a bidet in the bathroom, and the toilet water pressure left much to be desired.

The decor was tired. Plain and simple. It needs a good facelift.

In closing: This is a great place to stay if you need a safe, clean and comfortable place to rest your head for the night. It's not a 4 star resort- but you're not paying 4-star prices either. For the money, it's truly one of the best deals in the area, and I would not hesitate to recommend it to any of my friends or clients.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Indianapolis, Indiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2014

I am a travel agent and some of our clients booked this hotel through our website and guaranteed their rooms with a credit card. The rate that was booked was a guaranteed rate, where they hold them room and if the guest doesn't show then they charge the card. It was not a rate that required a deposit. The guests arrived at the hotel to have the front desk tell them their rooms had been cancelled. The clients called me to assist them with their reservation. I called the hotel and the front desk agent began to argue with me, then transferred me to the manager. I spoke with the manager who said the rooms were cancelled because the client's credit card had been declined so they cancelled the rooms. They did not notify us nor the client that there was an issue with the card. The clients had booked the rooms for $99/night. The manager told me they were offered a rate of $170/nt if they wanted to stay there. The client said they were told they would have to pay $225/nt. The manager told me it was bad business practice for us to allow them to book the rooms with an invalied card. On our website, the rooms will not confirm unless the card is valid. Obviously, when you are travelling, many holds get placed on your credit card so it may decline. The hotel is responsible for at least notifying the guest or the travel agency bofre they cancel the rooms. I advised my clients to leave the hotel immediately. The manager was extremely rude and if he argued with the guests as much as he argued with me, I would never recommend anyone stay here regardless of the price of the rooms. Pay a little more, get a nice place with helpful staff, save your vacation. I feel terrible for the clients that they had to endure the negligence of the staff at this hotel.

Room Tip: Don't stay here
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Baltimore, Maryland, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2014 via mobile

The only good thing I can say is that it's cheap, we rented two rooms, (6 kids plus 2 adults ) both rooms are in desperate need of renovations. I am not even talking about for the eye appeal, both rooms needed work specially in the bathrooms, were we found mold. We were told we were on a not smoking floor yet our room smelled of cigarettes... It was disgusting. The continental breakfast was a joke, coffee, juice, toast, and cereal. That's was it. Nothing hot.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Orlando, Fl
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

We stayed here only one night for a concert nearby at the American Airlines Arena and decided to stay at the River Park Hotel and Suites Hotel. In my experience, there were more negatives, but to be fair, I will mention some positives as well. Let's start with the negatives: Parking is horrific, especially if you didn't know what to expect at arrival as I did. The location of the hotel is awkward and dangerous..cars flew right by us. There were no parking anywhere. You had to do valet which costs 20.00 a day. I did ask if there's public parking anywhere and the gentleman at the desk did mention that there was a garage down the street somewhere for 12.00 but if you need to take your car out again it will be 20.00 whatever that means.. but valet here is "so much more convenient" he said. Other negatives, no iron or iron board, no microwave, no small refrigerator in the room. We called 3 times at different times for help to the front desk and nobody picked up the phone..wi-fi didn't work in the room...continental breakfast was just cereal, milk, apples and oranges at the time we came to grab some breakfast..so we decided to go get breakfast elsewhere. The television in the room had like 10 channels and 6 that worked. The channels that worked were mainly news channels or Hispanic channels. The towel rack in the restroom had a crack which wasn't too much of a big deal to me because it was clean which was important. One small container of shampoo no conditioner..one small bar soap. I can hear a kid crying and screaming nearby through the walls. The price of the hotel was 79.00 plus tax and ended up to be close to 100.00 then plus valet and tip I ended up paying 130.00 anyway. I'm sure there are better hotels out there in the area for 130.00.
The positives with this hotel in my experience was that we had a somewhat pretty river window view, the room and bed was clean..the restroom and shower was clean..the bedding was comfortable...the location to the Arena from the hotel was perfect because we were able to go on the metro train which took us there in only 5 stops. The gentleman at the front desk and the valet lady was nice which was the only reason why I rated the service at a 3..but it could easily be a 1 or 2 since nobody picked up the phone to help. I just hope that management will do some upgrading..they could even charge a little bit more if need be but it's so important to stock the rooms with more of the essentials, a better continental breakfast, a small to medium size flat screen and better channels, free wifi in rooms and not charge such an expensive price on valet parking especially if it takes 20 mins for the car to arrive. They had a sign that said call 20 minutes before leaving the hotel. Overall, we still enjoyed ourselves because the concert was awesome and made up for all the negatives we experienced but I most likely would not come back to this hotel next time.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2014

Where do I begin…
1. No Wifi in the rooms only in the lobby with everyone else
2. No alarm clock in the room
3. A non-working safe
4. You had to go the front desk and request an iron, none in the room with the ironing board
5. Some of the lights in the room did not work
6. $20 a day for valet parking, no where to park you car
7. There was a long desk with draws on each side and a space in the middle but no chair for you to use the desk. THERE WAS NO SPACE TO PUT A CHAIR.
8. Old, outdated, needs major upgrading

Room Tip: Read reviews if available. Call the hotel and be specific of your wants and needs.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

This hotel oughta be imploded. The location is very odd, the building is old and not well-maintained, and the services are minimal or non-existent. I'm not sure what can be done to improve it. We arrived at 9 pm and had to walk 6-8 blocks to find something to eat at that time. The 'continental breakfast' was minimal and not interesting. The room was large and spacious but I am not sure if it was ever cleaned over the 4 days I was there except for the garbage being taken out. Wifi is minimal and spotty. Be careful about the valets; I should have asked to see a driver's licence. The best asset is that it is just a 15 minute walk to Bayside but I would definitely look around next time. Miami has a free trolley system that can get you around most places.

Room Tip: Use as a last resort.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Lafayette, Indiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2014

I would not let my dog sleep in this place. It was dirty and the sheets were so thin you could see through them. The room itself was just plain nasty. The bedspread had stains on them and over all I did not rest easy at all. I was so happy by the time morning came around. Also, there was no mattress pad on bed and pillows smelled bad. The pool was dirty and the what they call breakfast is a joke !!!!! Do yourself a favor and stay away from this place. It's Just BAD. I have stayed at Super 8's that have not been this dirty. Spend the extra money and get a good nights sleeps This is one of the worst hotels stays I have ever had, and I travel a lot... BEWARE!!!!!!

Room Tip: Just don't stay there.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family

Been to River Park Hotel & Suites Downtown/Convention Center? Share your experiences!