“Use the buddy system after dark” 2 of 5 stars
Review of River Park Hotel & Suites Downtown/Convention Center

Save Saved
You added River Park Hotel & Suites Downtown/Convention Center to your Saves list
River Park Hotel & Suites Downtown/Convention Center
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   100 SE 4th Street, Miami, FL 33131 (Downtown)   |
Ranked #99 of 129 Hotels in Miami
“Use the buddy system after dark”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013 via mobile

After driving around the block five times thanks to closed roads and poor signs we finally arrived to be greeted by no one. The valet attendant continued to carry on a conversation while watching three women unload their own luggage. Once the last bag hit the ground we had to find our own luggage cart while yet again the front desk attendant as well as another valet attendant watched our struggle. Some twenty minutes later we finally got our room. Two full beds with a single king size head board as decoration, where's the Ice bucket? Forget that where's the ice machine. Depends on who you ask. The homeless pregnant women who was in a very heated debate with herself was entertaining, until she started asking guests for cigarettes. And the vacant restaurant ten feet away made for a nice all night vagrant disco. The cherry on top was when sitting by the pool at night enjoying the waterway we proceeded to watch a homeless man shoot up drugs, urinate on the hotel we are staying at and then pass out, this all happened ten feet away from where we were sitting. Bring pepper spray, or a tetnus shot but make sure you use the buddy system after dark!

• Stayed October 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
San Francisco
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

We stayed there last weekend before our cruise. When I was looking for a room the reviews weren't too scathing. Very reasonable price. Ya get what you pay for. The only bright spot was the front desk. Other than one young man who seemed overwhelmed by it all, they were genuinely helpful and nice. Right as we checked I asked for and was charged for a late check out the next afternoon. I had asked for an extra pillow and a few hours later it hadn't shown up but when I called the front desk again, it was delivered within minutes. Nice. Not so nice was us waking up with multiple bug bites all over our legs. Coincidence ? Maybe not. We have low-flow toilets at home. The hotel had NO flow toilets. Had to flush multiple times. The comforter had lots of cigarette holes. The sheets were so thin I thought it was just the mattress. The "breakfast" the next morning was ridiculous. Wonder Bread only. Frozen mini muffins. No tea. Warm milk for cereal. No fruit. "Continental" is one thing. This was a joke. And a woman selling excursions got in everyone's face and badgered them into taking one of her trips. Then the kicker ... in the morning I was away and my husband stayed behind. Even though the late check in was handled the day before, TWICE the maids POUNDED on our door, demanding my husband leave and go downstairs to sort it out. He has anxiety issues and this almost sent him over the edge. Not to be racist, but if the hotel workers speak NO English, how are we to communicate ?? So my husband had to hurridly pack up all our stuff alone and drag it all downstairs, where we sat for 1 1/2 hours before we went to the port. I had wanted to have a relaxing day in the our room till we needed to leave. Didn't want to get to the port early with the thousands of other cruisers. So irate. Bad way to start a fun trip. The manager apologized up and down and without my asking took off the late checkout fee. Good thing. It is centrally located, which was a plus. Right next to the elevated train. And a wierd side note ... there were multiple huge BIZARRE statues all over the lobby. The one right in the middle was of a massive woman, laying on her ample stomach, riding a wave, smoking a cigarette/cigar, with her ta-tas right in your face. WTF?

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013 via mobile

We had to wait for rooms to be cleaned before we could even check in, even with reservations 2 months in advance.Beds were the worst I've slept in, the comforter smelled,rooms were dirty.Spend a little more and don't stay here.

• Stayed September 2013
Bryn Mawr
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

we visited there on labor day weekend. Hotel is quite good we have been promoted to a suite it was a good surprise. Room was quite big and clean. You can choose to have downtown view or river view room.But the sad part is Miami downtown has no night life. There was no body on streets at 9 in night. Every single place was closed. Somehow we found a restaurant for dinner. So if you are a night party person dont stay in downtown. Rather choose a place near south beach and enjoy your evening at ocean st.

Room Tip: River side rooms have a good view.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Bonaire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

Hmm, I guess my experience wasn't as bad as some of the other reviewers. My girlfriend and I had to be close to the Dutch embassy, which was within 5 minute walking distance. We also found the location good for shopping, as there is a shopping district within easy walking distance. Was it luxury? No, but we just needed to be there 2-3 days. We found the service to be decent, and the staff seemed very willing to accomodate our needs, and give directions and advice, but that may be because she speaks Spanish?

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

Unbelievably bad service, and I'm usually not that picky. Check in was crazy as there is nowhere to park, and there just simply is not enough staff to accommodate. Everything is in need of major maintenance. I would feel bad for the overworked staff because there definitely is not enough staff, but the fact they couldn't have cared less just made my frustration level soar when I couldn't get any towels.

I thought my experience was bad until I saw the door to another guest's room with holes straight through!

I know every hotel has some bad reviews that are not that fair, but this place is the unusual example of being deserving of complaint.

To be fair, $70/night is a great price for Miami, and if you can overlook the homeless camp surrounding the hotel, it's a nice central location, next to the metro and river.

No internet, but I brought my WiFi. Just wish I had brought some towels.

• Stayed August 2013
Miami, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

Hot water flows from ALL faucets...so if you enjoy rinsing your mouth with hot water after brushing your teeth....this is your place !!
We had to fight every step of the way just to get clean towels from housekeeping, they say to use your room towels for the pool, then say they will bring you more to use for the bath, but they never show up.
This looks like it must have been a nice place to stay years ago, but very run down now.
In fairness the price was good for downtown, BUT you definetly get what you pay for.

• Stayed August 2013

Been to River Park Hotel & Suites Downtown/Convention Center? Share your experiences!