“I could overlook the homeless camp next door if service were descent.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of River Park Hotel & Suites Downtown/Convention Center

You added River Park Hotel & Suites Downtown/Convention Center to your Saves list
River Park Hotel & Suites Downtown/Convention Center
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   100 SE 4th Street, Miami, FL 33131 (Downtown)   |
Ranked #85 of 113 Hotels in Miami
“I could overlook the homeless camp next door if service were descent.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

Unbelievably bad service, and I'm usually not that picky. Check in was crazy as there is nowhere to park, and there just simply is not enough staff to accommodate. Everything is in need of major maintenance. I would feel bad for the overworked staff because there definitely is not enough staff, but the fact they couldn't have cared less just made my frustration level soar when I couldn't get any towels.

I thought my experience was bad until I saw the door to another guest's room with holes straight through!

I know every hotel has some bad reviews that are not that fair, but this place is the unusual example of being deserving of complaint.

To be fair, $70/night is a great price for Miami, and if you can overlook the homeless camp surrounding the hotel, it's a nice central location, next to the metro and river.

No internet, but I brought my WiFi. Just wish I had brought some towels.

• Stayed August 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
  • Slovak first
Miami, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

Hot water flows from ALL faucets...so if you enjoy rinsing your mouth with hot water after brushing your teeth....this is your place !!
We had to fight every step of the way just to get clean towels from housekeeping, they say to use your room towels for the pool, then say they will bring you more to use for the bath, but they never show up.
This looks like it must have been a nice place to stay years ago, but very run down now.
In fairness the price was good for downtown, BUT you definetly get what you pay for.

• Stayed August 2013
Ottawa, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

We stayed in this hotel for a week. Nothing to say about the location, but there are many annoying things.
1. The breakfast is until 9AM. After 9.00, no more breakfast. So we had to buy another breakfast somewhere else.
2. The service. Nothing to say about the cleaning (pehaps, we were lucky), but we had no telephone in our room because, according to them, they are changing the system. It was quite annoying. We had to get up at 5 AM to catch our plane and asked the reception to wake us up. Unfortunately, no telephone, no wake up. They could have sent somebody... Fortunately, we bought an alarm clock.
When we asked the reception to search a location in Miami for us, they could not help, because the guy at the reception did not know Miami.
3. Finding a taxi : When I asked the reception to book for a taxi for the following day at 5.30 AM, the receptionnist answered that the concierge always find a taxi and that taxis functions 24 hours a day. The following day, at 5.30, we caught our taxi next door, close to the Hyatt where many taxis are waiting. We did not see anybody at the door.
4. The shower : the shower did not work. There was only one option : you had to pull the faucet very strongly and you could not turn it. Luckily, it was in the middle, not too hot, not too cold.
5. No internet in the room, only in the lobby.
6. We did not have any car (the parking is close to 25 dollars a day).
The only advantage : the location.
I would never come back to this hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is a little outdated and dead. This is a budget alternative, that served us okay for one night. We would not choose this hotel for a longer stay. Two stars because we slept well here after a 13 h flight. Free Wifi in lobby is a plus. Location okay also, walking distance to restaurants.

Kiev, Ukraine
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

We stayed at this hotel about a year ago. The impressions are really bad. We've read a lot of comments on this hotel, but didn't expect it to be so bad! The only advantage of it is good location, pretty close to the center. Now disadvantages. First of all, we booked the hotel online and overpaid because we paid for some shuttle cruise which in reality we didn't have.. The receptionist couldn't clearly explain what we were paying for and couldn't answer our questions. She had such an annoying accent!! Then they charged us for parking. The roomservice was terrible too as chambermaid accidently threw our stuff away explaining it by saying it was placed next to the garbage bin. The room was dirty, bed was uncomfortable, old sheets for the bed. All in all we spent the whole time arguing with the receptionist and the chambermaid, demanding to give us our money back or at least explain where our money went. BTW forgot to mention that the food was sooo bad! It also says in the hotel review that it's got the pool - it is also bad (dirty and really small)

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Memphis, Tennessee
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

Normally I'm not picky about where I stay since I don't spend much time in hotel rooms, but this place blew my mind with how much it sucked. Here are some things to consider if you are thinking about staying here:

1. Cheap - paid $56/night. But, if I could re-do things, I'd stay at the Hyatt next door at our conference rate of $109. Totally would have been worth the price difference given I stayed 5 nights.

2. Really, really thin walls. The TVs are on the same wall as the bed in the next room, so you can hear every word... all night long...

3. NO WIFI. It's only available in the lobby. Which plays the same 3 terrible Sarah Brightman songs on repeat all day, everyday. After an hour you'll want to hurl yourself through a window. Nearly impossible to get any work done.

4. TV doesn't work. Not a huge issue, but still annoying.

5. Rude staff. Went down to get a cup of coffee and before I even got to the door a woman YELLED at me and told me breakfast didn't start for 5 more minutes. She then sat there talking to her coworker and eating a muffin while I waited until it was precisely 7 am. I just imagined my life had momentarily turned into an episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm to avoid being pissed first thing in the morning. The younger guy staffing the front desk was also a sassy turd. Of course you can ignore these sorts of things, but staff with attitudes really stand out considering nearly everyone in the hospitality industry is insanely nice and courteous.

6. Disregard for the "Do Not Disturb" sign. If I wanted you to walk in and ask me if I wanted room service, I wouldn't have taken the sign from inside my door and intentionally placed it on the outside of the door. They also threw my clothes off the bed when they made it. Grr.

7. Crappy linens - itchy and worn out.

8. Difficult to find. Get ready to give your cab driver an extra $9 bucks to make a few wrong turns.

In short, if you are only going to stay a day or 2, it's probably fine. You'll just be tired and grumpy (like I am as I write this review). There was one older guy at the front desk who was nice and told me which bus to take to get to the beach. Also, it's within walking distance of most of the major conference centers. However, the hotel itself sucks.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
New Bedford
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

After driving round and round lost and frustrated, I told a taxi driver I could not find the River Park hotel, he said, no kidding, You Wont...He led me through the Hyatt parking lot and to the hotel down some back road. Other than the fact you can not find the hotel, a search that would make a great Twilight Zone episode, the location is actually not bad. You get on the MetroMover and ride free to most parts of the center city. The hotel is not good though. There was blood on the side of the mattress and it kind of looked fresh. My wife had lots of bites on her feet. I never saw one person in the pool. Outside the hotel, we saw homeless people sleeping on benches along the Riverwalk. I asked the valet attendant where Little Havana was and she didnt not know, living in Miami only a year she explained. It was several blocks away. The continental breakfast breakfast was anything but, maybe the continent referred to is Antarctica.The muffins you can buy at the supermarket, like 20 for two bucks.And the TV reception reminded me of when I had rabbit ears with aluminum foil on them. I have not seen snow on a screen in years and a rolling picture I was impressed with the nostalgia of that. Called the office and an employeed quickly responded, stood in front of the TV for a few minutes, called his boss or his boss called him, not sure, he said in ten minutes it would be fine. It was never fine. All in all I actually enjoyed the stay in Miami, spending little time at the hotel. The price was low but in line with the quality of the establishment.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business