“Great value for the money plus a manatee” 4 of 5 stars
Review of River Park Hotel & Suites Downtown/Convention Center

Save Saved
You added River Park Hotel & Suites Downtown/Convention Center to your Saves list
River Park Hotel & Suites Downtown/Convention Center
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   100 SE 4th Street, Miami, FL 33131 (Downtown)   |
Ranked #100 of 129 Hotels in Miami
Northern Virginia
“Great value for the money plus a manatee”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

I believe that this hotel was rather nice back when it was first built. Now, many of the furnishings are a bit worn and dated but when you compare the cost of the room to others in the area I was more than willing to put up with too much gold trim and mirrors. Perfect for a pre/post cruise stay over. The room was clean and I was surprised to see that we had a suite instead of just a small cramped room. The shower controls took a bit of muscle but worked well once I got it going. The breakfast is pretty minimal - a bag of frosted flakes, prepackaged danish and bagels along with coffee and orange juice. The hotel is alongside the Miami People Mover, a free rail transportation system. I spent a couple of bucks using the Miami metro to get to the government center transfer stop and then took it right stop (can't recall which one). We used the hotel shuttle at $10 a person to go to our cruise. [Note, while the cruise said boarding was from 1-3, we were there at about 1130 and got right on the ship.] The hotel is alongside the river and we took a nice walk along the river and was very pleased to see a manatee right by the hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
London, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

the hotel was ok, quite far from the airport, taxi cost about 26 dollars, continental breakfast included the usual bagels, cereal, juice/tea etc. the room was clean, my bathroom was fantastic, but i stayed in two different rooms and the second bathroom was just small and ordinary so the bathroom you get depend on the room. i found that the single person room bathroom was larger and better than the twin room. there are 2 different metro stations near the hotel, one was 5 minutes walk and the other 10 minutes away. the hotel was about an hour from miami beach which sucked as we thought it was closer. also has a tiny gym room with 2 equipments but only one worked. there is a smimming pool but we didnt use this so cant comment on it

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012 via mobile

Too many negatives to list, but the big one was that I put my purse in the room safe while at the beach. When I tried to get it out as I had several times before, it malfunctioned and gave an "error" message. Let me make it clear that I entered the code correctly, it said "open" but remained locked. I even had my friend try it, just in case i had indeed made an error, as we both knew the code. No luck. When I came to the front desk to request that someone come with a key (couldn't call because the phone in my room didn't work) I was told that "he" had left for the evening, and that there was nothing they could do until morning. Her attitude was one of complete and utter apathy that made me sick to my stomach. Thank God I had friends to loan me money and that I didn't have a plane to catch. So not only did this hotel need updates and cleaning, but the amenities and service were beyond sub-par. You're better off at Motel 6.

• Stayed November 2012
California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

This review is mostly based on service... But before I get into that, let's just talk about the hotel itself. It is obviously and older hotel in need of some updates, but the outside and lobby area was not too bad. I've seen worse. The room itself definitely needed some tlc. The non-smoking rooms stunk of smoke, one of the lights in the bathroom needed to be replaced, the chair had some nasty looking stains on it and the walls looked partially repainted (they made outlines of the furniture but must of ran out of paint so they didn't finish). The scariest thing was noticing the little hole in the window... looked like it might have been a bullet hole. So as far as cosmetics are concerned, this place is in desperate need of a facelift. But, the WORST part of the hotel was the service! We had made a reservation for this place for one night before we had to move on. The reservation was made about 2 months in advance, one room for my parents and one room for us. My parent got to the hotel around 8pm and got their room. They wanted to check us in (our flight didn't get in till 10:30pm) but the staff said that we could check in later and there would be not problem. Fast forward to when we arrived and this is what we were told, "I'm sorry, we somehow overbooked. I don't know how this happened, but we are overbooked." So I told him that I had made a reservation, my parents have their room and I would like mine. "We are overbooked. I don't know how this happened. We are working with other hotels to try to get rooms." So we left our cell number with these people and went to my parent's room. We ended up sleeping on the floor in my parent's room because they never ended up calling us for their back up plan. I traveled 3,000 miles and made a reservation 2 months in advance and you can't even offer me a room. WHAT'S THE POINT OF A RESERVATION?!?! I will never stay here again and I will never recommend this place to anyone.

Room Tip: My tip: Don't stay here!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Miami, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

This hotel is all about location for the budget conscious traveler without a car. Not the best customer services, clean bathroom, but mattress, pillow, bed cover, not too so much.

Valet parking is $20 a day. No other choice for parking.

The people mover (train) is right next to the hotel. This train will take you around downtown and surrounding areas like to Mary Brickell Village (restaurants and bars), Bayside (shopping strip next to the bay), American Airlines Arena.

South Beach is a $25 cab ride.

Shopping - Dadeland Mall if carless you can actually take the metrorail train there.

Otherwise the Dolphin Mall is always a good deal, outlet stores, bowling, movies, awesome food, restaurants, food courts, bars.

Room Tip: Single rooms are very small. the lower floors have a bit of a view, more like if you look up you se...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012 via mobile

As soon as you get into the hotel you can tell that it is very outdated starting with the low light lobby and the colors.
The room: Honestly the floors were renovated wood floor and tile in the bathroom (Plus Point)
The furniture is very old which was not a problem for me but the problem is that the chair was badly stained and the bed comforter looled like it was over used. The A/C ducts seriously needs cleaning and there are some signs of mold although honestly not too many spots.
the mattress is very basic and the walls either needs to be washed or repainted from the many luggage and furniture scratches. I needed an iron to iron my shirt, it was there but it was in a bad condition although it is a cheap brand so it would be easily replaced.
Once again you can't beat the price specially for the downtown area.
I was there for a business meeting so not bad for a night stay

• Stayed July 2012
St. Andrews, Manitoba, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

Hotel lobby was nice, dated but nice. Staff came off as decent, but communication was an issue. I didn't like that they needed to photocopy my I.D., they were going to photocopy my credit card too, but the staff was interrupted. There was also a $20 deposit for the room; I found this strange as well.

There were comments made that the hotel has/had bedbugs on the upper floors. Our group didn't find that to be a problem, but it did concern us GREATLY!

There were 3 of us staying at the hotel, our buddy was busy so we took his luggage to the hotel and left. Our buddy came while we were out; hotel staff let him in the room even though his name was not on assigned to our room. THANKFULLY we didn't end up paying for their mistake with this breach of security and safety of our belongings.

The breakfast was poor, the rooms felt dirty, the tub was stained, the caulking round the tub was moldy, the walls were marked up, the carpets were dirty and coming up. The pool, well we didn't even bother. Ice machines were either broken or worked poorly.

I liked the location of the hotel, but the area was a bit scary. At night the streets in the area are filled with people sleeping on the sidewalks and this can and does give concern to personal safety. We also seen rats running around close to the hotel and it smelled bad when walking to and from the hotel.

There are several great shops and places to eat near the hotel and these places made the stay much nicer and everything was in walking distance, but I will never book a room here again!

Room Tip: Just don't bother booking a room here.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business

Been to River Park Hotel & Suites Downtown/Convention Center? Share your experiences!