“A great hotel at a great price” 5 of 5 stars
Review of HYATT house Miami Airport

You added HYATT house Miami Airport to your Saves list
HYATT house Miami Airport
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   5710 Blue Lagoon Drive, Miami, FL 33126 (Formerly Hyatt Summerfield Suites)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Double Your Points
Ranked #14 of 111 Hotels in Miami
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“A great hotel at a great price”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2012 via mobile

I stayed recently with my wife and three friends for 9 nights and we had a fantastic time. This hotel is great and the staff are fantastic. Sig (the manager) makes a point of walking around and introducing himself to guests making sure they are happy and have everything they need. We were checked in by Freddy who was excellent in the way he dealt with us and was always friendly and spoke to us whenever he saw us throughout our stay.
The pool and jacuzzi were heated and there are always plenty of beds. The breakfast and happy hour were very good with free food and drink for an hour and half each evening Monday to Thursday. We fealt very comfortable staying here and the rooms are done in such a way that you feel like you have your own apartment with all the amenities you need and a very comfy bed. Despite us being sent a note due to one of my friends hanging a show on a sprinkler (sorry sig) the staff leave you to treat it as if it were your own apartment.
Overall, this is a great hotel and I would recommend it to anyone. Thanks Sig and all your staff.

Stayed March 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Markham, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2012

We stayed here after our cruise and very impressed with the hotel. Nice room and very quiet area. We didnt realize its a target spot for drive in theft. Our rental car got smashed and they stole our luggale. It was very devastating, front desk call the police right way, but after 1 1/2 hrs they didnt show and took our complains over the phone. Wish we know so we didnt waste our time waiting for nothing. It really ruined our excellent holiday. To anyone going to miami area, i will suggest watch your stuff and never leave your luggage in the car. The police said this kind of theft is growing and they watch out for tourist. But its hard to say if its a drive in theft, fellow guest or an inside job. Its really sad it has to happen and i have to write this, but the hotel only have camera at the front of the building, so anyone can damage your car, steal your stuff and can get away with it :(

• Stayed April 2012
New Albany, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2012

My wife, 14 year old son and I spent one night at the Hyatt House, Miami Airport in March, 2012. Unfortunately, our stay was not all that successful. First, some background.

Our normal preference for hotels is at a higher price point, so I’ve made every effort to not criticize this hotel for lacking things it’s not intended to have. My goal in booking the hotel was to have a basic and inexpensive place to sleep for the night, since our flight from Ecuador got in at 11:40 pm and our connecting flight didn’t leave until 10:00 am the next morning. I figured that a night in a hotel would definitely beat a night on plane (and, besides, I had just received Platinum Status with Hyatt Gold Passport and wanted to get some more points). We had a successful stay some years back on a similar strategy at the Courtyard by Marriott just outside of Portland International Airport.

Our check in – at 1:00am – was agreeable, with the clerk extremely pleasant and engaging for that hour.

We stayed in a two bedroom, two bath suite. Unfortunately for my wife and I, our son took the bedroom on the right, leaving us with the bedroom on the left.

On the whole, the suite was reasonably furnished, with flat screen TVs in each bedroom, a sleeper sofa in the living room, and a small dining nook in the kitchen. Each bedroom had a desk and chair. The linens and towels were decent.

Lighting was all compact fluorescent bulbs (I hate that white light) – but the level of lighting in general was good.

The core problem with our bedroom was the bed. The mattress was past it’s “replace by” date, with a hump in the middle and each side of the bed very soft and sloping off to the edge. I was tired enough that I began to drift off to sleep, but then awakened to find the wife had left her side of the bed. I got up and went to the living room to see if she was there. No luck. I opened our son’s bedroom door to see if she had gone there. Nope. I finally found her in the bathtub – complaining that the softness of the bed had given her a backache and she needed something firmer.

After coaxing, I got her to the couch, and covered her with the bedspread. She told me she managed a couple hours of sleep – but had a sore back all the next day.

In the morning, our son announced that his bed was fine – so we just happened to get the mattress that needed replacing.

My other criticisms of the room would be:

(1) each bathroom has a built in fan/light combo. When you turn on the light, the fan powers up – and, at the same time, a deep, rumbling sound started that then permeated the suite. Too loud by many orders of magnitude.

(2) Unfortunately, the design of each bedroom is that the bathtub and toilet are in one room (with the noisy fan), and the sink is directly in the bedroom. That meant that when the wife got up early, so did I, since the light over the sink completely lights up the room.

(3) The air conditioning was effective. However, when it wasn’t running, one could hear traffic outside the hotel – that may be a price point issue, since at the hotels we usually frequent the fan runs regardless of whether the unit is heating or cooling.

(4) There was a complete kitchen, with plates, glassware and silverware. However, if you wanted a glass at the bedroom sink, you had to run into the kitchen and get one from the cupboard. Wouldn’t it be better to station glasses used for brushing your teeth in the bedrooms?

Breakfast was good. The food offerings were replenished on a regular basis. Coffee was very good.

The clerk was appropriately apologetic when I mentioned our poor mattress.

With the worn out mattress problem, however, we didn’t get a whole lot more sleep than we would have on an overnight flight. Because of that, this stay didn’t meet our needs. I wouldn’t come back.

Frankfurt, Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2012

The hotel might have a new name but nothing else is new about it. First of all, the staff is great! Manager Sig Varela is the best hotel manager that came across me in the past years. He is friendly, outgoing, getting involved with his guests, listening to them. He heard us say we were looking for a steakhouse nearby and immediately went to get us a rebate coupon for an argentinian steakhouse nearby.
Breakfast is good, social evenings too. The room is OK but starting to have that used look an airport hotel probably gets much faster because of the turnaround. Hotel is poorly sound-proofed as we heard every little noise from our neighbors with kids upstairs. They were gone the next day and it was quiet.
All in all the hotel is ok, staff terrific.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2012

We stayed there twice over a 2 week period at the start and end of our vacation. The rooms are clean with a small but functional kitchen. Bathrooms were a bit outdated but clean.

What I liked the most was the value- free hot breakfast, free parking, free wifi. Most of the other hotels we stayed at charged you. The breakfast had a good variety of cereals, toast, bagels, eggs and sausages. I liked that they had yogurt and fruit. Then there is an evening cocktail reception with free beer, wine and appies like chips, salsa and dip.

Staff was very friendly. One tip for a ground floor room is to ask to face the pool area otherwise you will have car headlights from the parking lot outside shining into your bedroom window.

Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2012

Traveling with teens made the two bedroom suite a great
bonus. Everyone can spread out, have their own bed and
their own tv, if they must!

Very near the airport and great for a pre/post cruise stop over.

Pool area is always important to me! and this hotel has a nice pool
area for a short stay. Not exactly resort quality but better than
most budget hotels.

Rooms were a worn but clean. No bugs.

Tip: Publix Grocery Store was right across the bridge and
was so handy ( 4 minute walk) for picking up anything
that was forgotten or that we wanted to have on the boat but couldn't pack!
(also Walgreens and CVS right there as well)

Tip 2: Try Grill It restaurant for take out dinner. It's in the same
mall as the Publix and has amazing build your own dinner bowls.
Everyone loved it. and seemed a healthier choice than other fast food.
(Teenage son loved it and could hardly finish it, so really good sized servings! :-)

Alberta
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2012

We stayed with another couple for 3 nights mid March. I had spent a tremendous amount of hours researching hotels in the Miami area since we were wanting a home base as we explored Miami and the everglades. We had settled on this Hyatt for it's central location and amenities, and were swayed by the good reviews. We didn't require staying near the airport although it was a great location if required. (And I can't recall any jet noise.)

The two bedroom suite was great value especially considering the average price of a hotel room in Miami in March! We would have loved to be along the beach but the cost of rooms was astronomical. I also noticed that most hotels had resort fees, mandatory valet parking and internet fees charged per day - The Hyatt House had free parking and wi-fi along with a complimentary breakfast. The hot/cold buffet breakfast was a convenient feature to have but it was average at best. (The hot items left a lot to be desired, like the inedible waffles and processed cheese filled omelete triangles.)

I rated sleep quality as average as the fitted sheet didn't stay on the bed and ended up rolled up underneath us in the morning. (p.s. What is the deal with hotel bedding these days? It's so bizzarre to me to have one loose sheet and a comforter!)

I was expecting a little more considering the reviews - which I find can be tricky as each person has different expectations/standards etc - and was slightly disappointed. BUT overall, I would recommend this hotel if you're looking for a central location, close to the airport, and for great value considering the amenities.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends

Been to HYATT house Miami Airport? Share your experiences!