“I lied!” 5 of 5 stars

Catharsis Restaurant & Lounge
1644 SW 8th St, Miami, FL
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Catharsis Restaurant & Lounge is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #773 of 3,427 Restaurants in Miami
Cuisines: Latin
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: (305) 479-2746
Hollywood, Florida
“I lied!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

Ok! I admit it! I lied! I DID SEE THE "Mystery Dinners" episode on t.v. I did not want to raise my hand when asked the question by the moderators to alert the establishment to be on guard and give me special attention to prove or disprove the episode seen. Was I wrong for lying? I will never know. Why?

The Service from being greeted at the door and being seated by the Manager himself was superb! With all the attention from each staff member made me feel that my date and I were the only ones in the room. Catharsis has an event one a month on Thursday nights called "Dining in the dark." It is a six course meal placed in front of you, one course at a time while you are blind folded. As each course is introduced, the moderator tells you something about what is in front of you without giving away what you are eating. There is also instrumental music playing while you dine possibly to help in deciphering your courses as well. It is you, with senses heightened tasting and smelling what is before you calling back to the moderator what you are eating. I admit, I thought the crowd was a little thin but maybe they saw the show too and did not venture out and what a treat they missed!!

The food was EXCELLENT!!! I also have to admit, I hate blue cheese but it was on my plate and I must have eaten it and thought it delicious because it was DELICIOUS!! I also will have to say, maybe that is the only way I will eat blue cheese (in the dark or with numbed senses) again. As each course came out one by one each got better and better. In between courses there were flavored palate cleansers each just as savory as the courses themselves. I tried so many new things and loved them. The Corvina fish, "Oh sooooo goood!" The pumpkin ravioli, yum! My date and I had a wonderful dining experience in the dark and most definitely plan to visit in "the light." The atmosphere was great and the company of my date and those that made it to the event made the night memorable.

Back tracking a lit bit, reservations must be made for this dining experience and I was able to alert the staff of allergens or dietary restrictions. At the event, again I was asked to confirm what I could or could not eat so that made the dining experience even more delectable.

On the negative side, It was not easy finding something to drink that was non alcoholic. Wine and alcohol was another big seller so water had to be my drink of choice. I would have liked a virgin drink of some sort to be available or juice or soft drinks but again FOOD WAS AWESOME!! Another negative was paying the bill for the evening was unclear. After the event and the blindfolds were off, there were no instructions as to how the bill was to be paid. My date and I left our table and went to the entrance to be told that the waitress would have brought the check to our seats. Another discrepancy was the price for the event online and in person. We were charged a bit more in person than the advertised price online. I mentioned it to the waitress but there seemed to be no resolution from her part in correcting the meal to the advertised price and I did not push the issue. Why? Say it with me, " the food was AWESOME!" I had no complaints to pay the extras but they need to update the website just in case someone else comes along who did not have the same dining experience as I. Last but not least, parking is limited on the street and you have to pay.

Did I already say that the food was AWESOME? I will be back Catharsis!

• Visited April 2013

Ashburn, Virginia
“It was a Party in a Restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

The energy was amazing- we were excited from the moment we stepped in. The service was fabulous. We had Juan Carlos and he had 2 helpers so we wanted for nothing.
We had small plates and ended up with the 3 hour Short Rib. We should have had that 1st as were too full finish it all. I am coming back for that! The Polenta was also awesome and the bread. Nice wine list. Try the Temperanillo.
The music started around 8:30. 2 latin ladies singing with bongos. They were AMAZING and engaged the guests with funny quips-
We had a total blast and spent half of what we would normally have spent at a high end hotel restaurant in south beach. You could have a 3.00 appetizer or a 30 dollar entree and everything in between.
Will be back next time we are in town.

Visited April 2013
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Not impressed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

I went tonight to Catharsis with high expectations because of the reviews i had seen, but I was so disappointed. The sweet breads appetizer was good, I wasn't impressed though. Then the entrees took quite a while to arrive, which I found surprising because the restaurant was quite empty. I ordered the seafood parillada and it was very dry and over cooked. I didn't complain because I didn't want to ruin a beautiful night but I was disillusioned. My daughter had the short ribs over risotto. Her dish was better yet not what we had expected. The restaurant is nice. The waiter was very nice and sweet, but in a city where you are given so many options, they really need to step up their game.

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Miami, Florida
“Evening of fun great food and music”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

Excellent food and wine. Authentic Cuban music for all times. Excellent entertainment by two Cuban young ladies and one Venezuelan. They make this place rock. The seafood parrillada and the empanadas are out of this world. This place is for Miamians like me and for tourists, everyone feels at home. One of the best places to visit in Little Havana.

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Great restaurant!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

My friend and I ate here in Jan 2013 on a Saturday night. We made a reservation for two at 7:30 - did not need to do that, as when we arrived there was only one table full of people. We found that odd at first but I think people in Miami just go out later - when we left around 8:30 the place was packed.
My friend and I ordered the mushroom ravioli and sun-dried tomato risotto and they were both delicious. We also ordered the chocolate souffle which was yummy as well. The waiters were very friendly, helpful, and quick and made sure we always had what we needed. My only two complaints were that it was quite cold inside the restaurant and the lighting was very dim, but we got used to both and it didn't take away from the experience. It was a great restaurant and a great end to our Miami trip!

• Visited January 2013