“Pre-Cruise Stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #55 of 111 Hotels in Miami
Calgary, Canada
“Pre-Cruise Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2010

I traveled with my parents, younger sister, and grandparents, booking two rooms for a pre-cruise 5 day stay. When we stayed at the hotel, they were in the middle of renovating, so some rooms had the fresh 'paint-smell' to them. However, when asked, the front desk was willing to give us new rooms, trying to accommodate any requests we had. Some parts of the room, the sections 'less-travelled' were somewhat dusty, though.
The location was fine if you had a car, as the only restaurant within walking distance was Bennigan's. The enterprise we rented from was just down the street which was very convenient for renting and returning the car (about 10 to 15 mins walk). The airport shuttle also proved very handy, as they were also willing to drive us to the enterprise to pick up the car on our first day (before we knew it was so close). The cruise shuttle was also very convenient, and very friendly when dropping us off. The driver of both shuttles, (which was actually the same bus) Dave, was very nice.
The continental breakfast was average, with the usual selection of hard-boiled eggs, cereal, toast & bagels, some fruit, etc. and a self-serve waffle maker. They closed the breakfast at pretty much exactly the time they post, though, so don't be late!! =)
The parking was alright, we managed to find an ok spot every day, sometimes going in the back door, and the wifi worked without any hassle as well. Our room also had a view of the pool, which we didn't use, but looked alright.
All in all, the hotel was pretty good. If I went to Miami again, it would definitely be one of my top choices!
P.S. When visiting Miami, remember to go to Joe's Stone Crab!!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
California Central Coast
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2010

We reserved two rooms for four family members before a cruise to the Bahamas. Arriving at the Miami airport at different times, we all took the free shuttle to the hotel. While there was delay in being picked up, the driver was courteous and the ride was comfortable. The hotel was very crowded, with many folks going to the cruise docks the next morning. With one exception, the staff were pleasant and helpful. The room was large with a king-size bed, microwave, and refrigerator. Overall, it was very clean but somewhat run-down and dingy. We walked to the nearby Bennigan's for dinner but should have paid attention to other reviewers. The service was friendly but very spotty, and the food was average to poor. However, there is little else within walking distance. The hotel's continental breakfast had the normal items and was plentiful; we were lucky to get a table as many families who arrived later had no where to sit. Although many people were taking the free shuttle to the docks, our ride was right on time, and we enjoyed the trip, getting to see a little of Miami. Be sure to make a reservation for the shuttle the night before! Two of us stayed at La Quinta for one night after the cruise, while the other two chose a Days Inn (NOT a good choice). Note that there is no free shuttle from the port to the hotel. Again, our room was clean but run-down. We had rented a car for sightseeing and so did not need the free shuttle back to the airport. There is a computer and printer in the lobby that I used for flight check-in at a small cost. I later found out from the front desk that I could have done that for free, but there were no signs at the computer indicating that service (annoying).

I would recommend this budget hotel for its location to the airport, price, and shuttle services.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
El Paso, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2010

We stayed the night prior to our 7 day Caribbean cruise on carnival’s liberty, My wife and I got to Miami Airport at 6pm and called La Quinta so they could send the shuttle to pick us up, the hotel clerk advise me that the driver was out on break however we would not have to wait at all; she asked for my reservation and name, then told me to catch a blue taxi just outside the baggage claim terminal which is where we were, and tell the cab driver to take us to the hotel and make sure I ask for a receipt, that I would get reimbursed upon arrival at la Quinta, it was a ten minute ride and $10.00, I got my receipt from the driver went inside the hotel, inform the young lady at reception that I had arrive from the airport on a blue taxi, gave her my name and handed over the receipt, she said: yes we’ve been waiting for you Sir and gave me my $10.00 on the spot. Check in was a breeze and reserve our transportation to the port the next day, the room was large with a king size bed and good size bathroom. We went to Burger King around 8pm we were starving, it’s about a ten minute walk, I had read reviews about staying away from Bennighans so we did. We first walk next door to the Embassy Suites Hotel Restaurant but it was too expensive for us. It’s easy to get to Burger King, walk outside La Quinta to the access rd. and walk north along the side of the green fence of Embassy Suites parking lot then take a left at NW South River Walk Dr. under the overpass (walk against traffic) then a left again at NW 36th St. when you turn on 36th you will see it on 36th & 953 rd. there’s also a McDonalds if you keep going west on 36th but I estimated that it was like ½ mile away. (No sidewalks all grass very safe). Next day we hit the continental breakfast at 9am there open from 7 to 10, great assortment of cereals, juices, milk, pastries, hard-boil eggs, fruit, coffee and waffles. The ride to the port was about 25 minutes and the shuttle is a mini bus, very comfortable. All in all this is a great hotel prior to cruising will definitely stay here again. By the way, if you work for the Government or are current or prior Armed Forces, police, fire department or Retired and have proof of it, you can get a great reduced stay for $65.00 a night at any Quinta, I did. PS never heard a single airplane.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Memphis
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2010

I stayed at this La Quinta hotel one night early the week of May 23, 2010 prior to embarking on a cruise departing from the Port of Miami.

This hotel is an older property located near the MIA airport (a 3-4 minute shuttle ride). It is a modestly priced economy hotel featuring very basic amenities.

"Basic" amenities include a free continental breakfast (waffles, hot & cold cereal, pastries, yogurt, coffee and orange juice), and an internet terminal near the front desk.

The good news:
The staff was friendly and the hotel offers free airport shuttle service every 30 minutes. In addition, they have a free shuttle to the Port of Miami for guests departing for cruise vacations.

My room was clean and did not smell of cigarette smoke. The a/c was quiet and worked well, and there was basic cable television.

The room rate was on the inexpensive side.

The not-so-good news:
There is only 1 (rather run down looking) restaurant in the immediate area around the hotel, and no shopping options.

The television, telephone and light fixtures in the room were ancient and vaguely dingy.

While this hotel could seriously use a remodeling job, it was adequate for a very inexpensive one night stay.

I would only --nominally-- recommend to fellow travelers seeking a 1 night stay at a clean, no frills hotel near the MIA airport or departing for a cruise.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2010

Great place to stay for cruises, they offer free shuttle bus from airport, also to Miami port; they even offer free breakfast!! By the time we checked in was 8pm, there was a good restaurant that very close by, just 1 min walking. Staffs are friendly, include shuttle bus drivers. Rooms are clean , bathroom is clean too. Beds are comfortable, we had a king size bed. I recommend request 2nd or 3rd floor, we had the 2nd floor, which is very quite, we didn't hear any sounds of the airplane. Definitely will stay here again next time !!!!!!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2010

Hotel was clean and comfortable for one night stay, easy to get to in a cab or using the free shuttle.
Good value for money, we paid about AUD100 and there were 4 of us in the room!
They have free breakfast and free shuttle to cruise terminal.
The only thing is it is right underneath the flight path so you'll be up from 6am
Most cabbies knew where it was using the street name (there are 2 La Quinta's at the airport).

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
Noblesville, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2010

After reading some of the reviews of this location I was hesitant to stay, but the price was far under what I had budgeted so I just went with it. We flew into FLL and ported out of Miami, we had a rental car and were able to park it here for free during our cruise, they also offer a free shuttle to the port. The free shuttle alone saved us well over $50, when I returned to Miami I took a taxi back to pick up the rental, the cost was $27 plus tip. The location is older, however it was clean and not as noisy as I had read about. One of the ladies at the front desk did not go out of her way to help me, however the rest of the staff was friendly. I would not recommend using this locaton for a family vacation - I did not hear the airplanes in my room, but could not have a conversation at the pool because of the noise when they flew over. If you are just staying over night and need a cheap and clean place to sleep this is it. Also, there really is not much within walking distance, one restaurant in the parking lot - otherwise it's delivery or you'll need transportation.

After reading the reviews and staying here I believe some people were expecting a 5* hotel at 2-3* prices.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends

Been to La Quinta Inn & Suites Miami Airport East? Share your experiences!