“Smoker Friendly!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #63 of 115 Hotels in Miami
Spokane, WA
“Smoker Friendly!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

Hard to find a decent hotel that has smoking rooms. Front desk employees were very friendly and helpful - especially recommending restaurants. Room was comfortable and clean. Free shuttle to the airport.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

We chose this hotel for our one-night pre-cruise stay because of its amenities: free airport shuttle as well as a complimentary shuttle to the Port of Miami the next morning. There was also a complimentary small hot/cold breakfast served in the hotel lobby. The cost for the room was quite economical considering the options in Miami and given the shuttle service. Keep in mind that everything about this hotel is basic but perfectly acceptable. Yes, there is airport noise, there's nothing within walking distance, the rooms are basic two double bed rooms in need of a little TLC but for a quick overnight stay pre-cruise, it fit the bill. I wouldn't hesitate to book here again in the same circumstances.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
St. Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel several times. I always come back for the great value - free breakfast, free wifi, free airport shuttle, free cruise port shuttle. The only reason I am not giving it 5 stars is the limited variety of dining options nearby - only one so-so restaurant within walking distance and while the breakfast is very good with a large variety to choose from, there is not enough seating for the patrons during the peak breakfast times. I always use this hotel for pre-cruise accomodations.

Room Tip: I had a room on the second floor which probably muffled the sounds of the airplanes more. We really...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Lubumbashi, Democratic Republic of the Congo
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

I feel the need to write this review as what I had experienced in this La Quinta Inn & Suites is in overall the worse experience that I have had in an 3 stars hotel.

Spending a long week-end in Florida, I had planned to stay one night in Miami and the rest of the 2 nights in Orlando at friends’ house. I had business to do around Miami International Airport, so I decided to book a room in the area. In retrospective, I wished I had listened my instinct.

I remember having doubts, not sure why, when I saw the deal that La Quinta Inn & Suites Miami International Airport was offering. I had never stayed there before, so I thought I would give it a try, since I was only going to spend one night – so I booked a suite.

I flew in before 12pm, I had so much to do and stuff to collect that I didn’t have time to go and check-in, so I went on with my business and spent almost the whole day taking care of what I needed to do. By 7pm, I was done and decided to go to the hotel, check-in and rest. The moment I got into the lobby, I sensed that there was something wrong going on. I went to the front desk to check-in and noticed that the staff was taking a bit of her time asking me how she could help me. When she finally did, I told her that I wanted to check-in, that’s when she told me that the hotel system was down, they couldn’t really do check-in and I had to wait for few minutes. I asked her if they didn’t have a printed list in advance with names of people to check-in that day, she said they were working on it and that I should just wait. I was tired, needed to take a shower and was not really happy about the way my stay was starting in this hotel.

I waited for about 15 - 20 min when I was finally called, the system was still down, but they had a list of people to check-in (just like I thought). They found my name and told me that they will call me later on in my room to collect additional information required, I said “ok”. The lady apologized for the delay, gave me a suite on the last floor (4th floor), but failed to tell me that the system down also meant that no elevator, no phone in the room, no TV, no electricity in my power sources in the room.

I had 3 suitcases and extra boxes from deliveries that I collected from my UPS box, plus my backpack. I had to use the stairs (48 steps) back and forth 5 times to get all my stuff in the room. The stairs were dark and every guest that was staying from the 2nd floor to the 4th one was meeting on the stairs, it was a very awkward situation, it was like a bad dream, and my only hope was to wake and be glad that it was over…but it wasn’t a dream, it was actually happening, and I couldn’t believe it!

What I thought would only take few minutes took the whole night; at some point, the electricity went off completely, the hotel was in dark, it was just unbelievable. People were sitting on the hallway at some point, reading with because that’s the only place you could see light…
I took a shower, put my stuff together and ready to go, and went to sleep, since it was nothing else to do (no Internet, no phone, no TV, nothing). It’s only around 5:40 am that the system was restored…I didn’t think that was possible in a 3 star hotel (well known hotel) around one of the busiest airport in the world. This means that they didn’t have any backup system to prevent whatever happened from taking the whole night and making guests (including old people) go through stairs to their rooms.

All the above being said, my room was fine, nothing really special. It was huge, clean and the bed was comfortable. I guess that was expected, since it was a suite, and I must say that it was the only good thing about my stay. I also had the breakfast the next morning, basic stuff, but enough to help you start up the day.

While I believe that some people enjoyed their previsous stay when everything was normal, I do hope that the management has learned from this unfortunate situation and will ensure that it doesn’t happen again; otherwise they may lose more costumers. I wrote this review based on my personal experience that very particular day, which I believe it's not something that happens every day.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on 1st floor, just in case the system shuts down again!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
San Jose
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

I'm satisfy the hotel overall. It's very close to the Miami international airport. The room is clean and the bed is comfortable. The free breakfast is good with many chooses. The only problem I had is the shuttle to pick us up at airport. There is no sign to tell us where to wait for the shuttle. I called the front desk and the person told me the shuttle runs every half hours and just wait out side the AA departure and looking for a red van. I started waiting from 2:50 pm to 3:30 pm and didn't see and red van coming. I called again, another worker told me that the shuttle is white not red and I need to wait at middle of the divider for the 3:30 shuttle. I waited another 15 min till 3:45 pm before the shuttle came. I was so frustrated. The hotel should give the each guest the clear instruction on where and when to wait for the shuttle and correct color of the shuttle in the reminder email.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

Grangeville, Idaho
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

This hotel has both free transportations but not when your cruise is over to the airport. They have free breakfast and close by is a restaurant. Front desk even provided us with the best order in pizza place. Friendly. We always stay here every year when we cruise. The only things I suggest they fix is to update their vans are beat up and the elevator is old. Clean and comfortable tho and you can hear airplanes, you are right beside the airport but it didn't affect our sleep.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Palm Harbor, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

The location is at the end or beginning of the air strip depending on direction of travel. We had 2 rooms on the ground floor next to the swimming pool.Check in was quick. Both rooms were clean and ready to check into before 3 pm. We had no problem with airport noise. The staff could not be more friendly. We used Miami Jet tours, located in the lobby to take us to the cruise terminal and back for $10 per person. We would have been better off getting a cab as we had to wait over 45 minutes at the pier to be picked up, not because they were late, but coordinating the time to get off the ship in order to meet their pick up schedule. They make several stops on the way back to pick up and drop off at other hotels and the airport terminals. We asked the front desk about the restaurant out front Bennigans. They were accurate, slow, poor service, the tip is included in the bill, and the food was below average.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends