“Does "Yikes" Say It?” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Extended Stay America - Miami - Airport - Blue Lagoon

You added Extended Stay America - Miami - Airport - Blue Lagoon to your Saves list
Extended Stay America - Miami - Airport - Blue Lagoon
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   6605 NW 7th Street, Miami, FL 33126 (Formerly Homestead Studio Suites)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
SAVE 15% TODAY!
Ranked #65 of 112 Hotels in Miami
Lutz, Florida
“Does "Yikes" Say It?”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

Honestly, how does one begin to summarize an epically horrible booking that ends with an attempted assault by a homeless wretch? I’ll do my best…

Disney has this hospitality concept called “plussing”. It means that they constantly locate areas for improvement and extras to give that little push for greatness. If there’s such a thing a “minusing”, Extended Stay America seems to be employing it. Here’s why:

This was our first booking at an Extended Stay, ergo our first impression. Booked through Hotels.com and given a 3-Star Rating (now two), we had modest expectations. It should be clean, fully functional, have some amenities, and at least carry the modern accompaniments similarly to the majority of other hotel chains in its class. Well, in an effort to keep this review tidy—they didn’t, and here’s the grand list of failures starting from arrival to the end:

The Bad?

- Cramped lobby was stuffy and crowded with only three parties waiting to check in to one working clerk on a Saturday afternoon during a holiday weekend.
- Secure-looking gated parking area was not secure. The arrival gate was missing on the right side.
- Interior design genius placed the curtain directly over the aircon, making it extremely inefficient. We had to place shoes or other objects on the ledge above it to keep the curtain away from the vents. (see pic)
- Same genius evidently designed the main room lamp in the middle of the room to be only controlled by switch by entrance. (see pic)
- I’m guessing the same person that designed the Do Not Disturb placard upside down when properly inserted into the door lock? (see pic)
- The bed was rather stiff and close to lumpiness. It also felt ever so slightly smaller than advertised. That Queen felt like a Full, but we didn’t measure it. You can’t get a king without upgrading to a full suite.
- The bed felt small probably because it only had one night stand. Room intended for one person?
- Three short-style pillows. Had to ask for extras to accommodate a two people.
- TV very basic. No channel guide, limited channels, and low resolution. Aspect ratio had to be constantly changed to fit picture.
- No contact menu on phone or near it.
- No coffee maker!
- No kitchen utensils of any sort, actually. We had to ask for a bottle opener. We were given a flimsy can opener with a bottle opener on the handle.
- Kitchen placard states that the office will provide kitchen necessities. Just call and they will deliver them to your room. Nope! You have to call them, and then go get it youself, and it might not be available upon request. We had to wait on those extra pillows.
- No ice bucket or ice makers, or ice.
- No cups for the non-ice unless you request them and retrieve from office.
- The towels and washcloths were old and rough – all of them.
- Not much counter space at bathroom sink due to design.
- Advertises Free WIFI, but you have to jump through a lot of hoops to get there, including giving them your personal information. My SPRINT data service works almost everywhere, but not on ESA’s property. Extremely poor signal. Just saying…

The Ugly?

- Plumbing problems included a broken drain stopper in the shower. The last room service just left it to rust on the tub. (see pic)
- Stopper also missing in bathroom sink. Exposed gunk and hair. (see pic)
- Kitchen sink had slow drain (see pic)
- Kitchen counter had trim coming loose, and marks where someone used it for a bottle opener. (Gee – wonder why?)
- Kitchen table had same trim problem (pic)
- Overhead light fixture in kitchen unsecured and uneven – danger of falling? (see pic)

Honestly, I believe there were additional issues but the final act that came shortly after checkout clouds my memory. I was parked close to the lobby when a filthy bum (yes, he was quite soiled and was aggressively panhandling), staggered around the entrance, making a beeline for me—naturally. His demeanor was angry, agitated, and incoherent. He started making boxing motions, throwing one within a few inches of my face while spewing some unintelligible Span-ish. I did my best to ignore him, but he attempted to follow me to my room. I stopped short of opening the door, fearing my wife’s safety. A young female guest happened upon us by a stairwell while he was still attempting to hassle me. I warned her off quickly, but she had no idea what was really happening. I was finally able to send him away and collect my wife, who was waiting just on the other side of our room’s door, also without any idea. We walked back to the lobby warned the management (clerk), got in our car and drove off. As we left, the same panhandler appeared to be unconscious under a bus stop bench just in front of the ESA entrance. I came back to the lobby and let them know.

That was the end of our Extended Stay America first booking. Will we be back? What do *you* think?

The Good?

If I can say anything positive about ESA, the two clerks, Isabel and Danny, were friendly and helpful. The location is very convenient, the grounds were well-manicured, there were no insects pestering us, the air conditioning worked well after our “modification”, the room was clean (except for drains), and the checkout was fast.

But, we didn’t exactly sleep well, we were taken aback by all the missing little items, the poor room condition, the towels, the operation, the comedic upside down placard…the list was just too much. Yes, we should have complained and asked for another room. Great process that is, right? We just didn’t have time or energy to go through it. There’s that memory of a fist in my face too, but that’s not ESA’s fault. He must have walked a long way to get there in the first place. Thing is, I would have liked it if ESA showed a bit more concern since that person exhibited dangerous behavior. They simply apologized and went about their business. Oh well! Next.

NOT RECOMMENDED — NOT EVEN CLOSE — 1.5 Stars

Room Tip: Shop around if you're looking for a standard hotel room with standard amenities.
  • Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Tampa, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

rooms were stinking and also water was stagnent in the bah tub. location is good but cleanliness was poor. the house keeping even after requesting dint turn up. wifi dint work the 3rd day at all

• Stayed May 2015, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

this hotel was very nice and clean bed was clean the outside of the hotel was very clean and well kept the staff was very nice although breakfast could have been better I enjoyed my stay there was plenty of places to shop and eat in this area

Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple
Miami
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

For the price it was well worth it! The room was clean, there is a small kitchen if you need it. The bed was comfortable and you have a flat panel tv in your room with cable, the cable needs updating because there was some static in the image. We had no problems, it was quiet an wifi and breakfast was also included! But I didn't wake up in time to get to breakfast so I can't give a review on that. We were 15 minutes from downtown and close to the highway and shopping centers. Very close to the Airport.

• Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Miami - Airport - Blue Lagoon, responded to this review, 4 days ago
I want to thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay. I am glad to read that you were pleased with your room and our fully equipped kitchens. I am thrilled you found our hotel to be a great value in a convenient location. The staff and I would like to thank you again for posting your review. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Excellent for people who travel for business purposes and want to have comfort and convenience. The room is always clean specially the bathroom very comfortable. The Staff was so helpful. There is no restaurant in the hotel and nowhere really close where we can go by walking to get something to eat. There are some pizza places in the area that will deliver.

• Stayed May 2015, traveled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Miami - Airport - Blue Lagoon, responded to this review, 3 days ago
I want to thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay. I'm thrilled that you enjoyed your experience with us. I truly appreciate your comments regarding our helpful staff and clean rooms. The staff and I would like to thank you again for posting your review. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

We always get a good rate and Extended Stay of America has a Kitchen with a Refrigerator. The room is always clean specially the bathroom very comfortable. The Staff was so helpful anything I asked like the Hair Dryer or Pots and Pans they gave them to me right away.

Stayed May 2015, traveled with family
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Miami - Airport - Blue Lagoon, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I'm so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and were able to take advantage of our fully equipped kitchens. It also gives me great joy to know that our staff was friendly and helpful. Once more, thank you for posting your review. The staff and I look forward to having you visit with us again in the future.
Monroe, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We stayed here because it is pet friendly and we needed a place near the airport for one night with our two dogs. The room was ok but it did not have any amenities such as shampoo or conditioner etc. The calquing around the bathtub had some mildew. Considering the price I was expecting a better place. The check in staff was pleasant and helpful. The breakfast was just a grab a muffin and coffee and eat it in your car. Or grab it before you check out and go back to the room. Although the room had a kitchen there were no utensils or dishes in the room. There is no restaurant in the hotel and nowhere really close where we can go to get something to eat. There are some pizza places in the area that will deliver.

Room Tip: Not sure if there any really good rooms
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your experience with us. I am so disappointed that your room had cleanliness issues and was not properly stocked. Please accept my apology. I discussed your comments with the team, and we will be making sure rooms are thoroughly inspected before guest arrivals. Additionally, I would also like to apologize that you were not informed of our new dishware policy. While we no longer keep dishes in guest rooms, these items are available upon request at the front desks. Moving forward, I will make sure our amenities are clearly explained to guests at check-in. Your feedback is very important to us, so thank you for sharing. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly, at blu2@extendedstay.com, should you wish to discuss this further. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any of our other brand locations across the U.S. and Canada in the future.

Been to Extended Stay America - Miami - Airport - Blue Lagoon? Share your experiences!