“Busy hotel, crazy problems at check in, but good (free) food” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book early and save 15%!
Ranked #38 of 129 Hotels in Miami
Mil Anus
“Busy hotel, crazy problems at check in, but good (free) food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2009

We arrived late just past midnight on a busy day, and had some problem in checking in. It turned out that they upgraded my room to the top floor due to my Gold VIP HH status. Good. However, when the person at check in printed out our keys I smelled something wrong. Only after I insisted he found out that they gave away our room to someone else before we arrived. We last-minute avoided entering someone else room at 1230 AM.

In the end they found us a room, not exaclty according to my preferences, but enough to sleep. Murphy's law was against us that night, as the room keys were only working the second time, after a trip back at the check in to have them re-issued with our exact room number.

Very small swimming pool, free parking & free wired & wireless Internet.

Food (free beakfast and evening manager reception) were very good in quality and abundant.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
St. Petersburg, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2009

Good overall hotel. Close to the miami airport (about a $10 cab ride). The inside of the hotel is comfortable and home-like. Staff support was average. Breakfast was good and there are lots of tables to eat at. Overall a nice place to stay near the Miami airport.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2009

We stayed one night pre- cruise, having never been to Miami before. I had the local number for the hotel in my cell, that is important because there is no phone at the airport to request a ride to their hotel.
The first room we were given was not great, it smelled and didn't have the view of the water we had requested. I called the front desk and they changed our room to right across the hall, this room was nicer & had a decent view of the water. There was a small sitting area in the room with a couch & tv, and a separated bedroom with 2 double beds, a small kitchenette & a decent bathroom. The kitchenette was nice, had a fridge, a pantry with plates & silverware, coffee maker, dishwasher, microwave. The only negative as far as cleanliness goes was the glasses, & utensils. I would definitely run anything through the dishwasher before using it - the glasses were not clean & after that I didn't trust any of the dishes. The utensils had crud on them & obviously not clean.
The fellow who picked us up from the airport did not seem to speak English, and seemed to be in a foul temper. In the daytime, the van driver was pleasant & very helpful and took me to the local mall to shop for pre-cruise items & then picked me up promptly when I called. This is a great service, if you don't have a rental car, because the hotel is out at the airport & not close to much. I was able to buy some items I forgot to pack at a Publix, bought some alcohol at a liquor store, and had a manicure at the same mall. The liquor store was the only down side - none of the bottles were marked with prices, and they wanted to charge me the same price for a small bottle of Baileys as a large. I had the feeling there are prices for obvious tourists such as myself, and fair prices for locals.
As far as the staff goes, the front desk people were very helpful & the only unpleasant person was the guy driving the van the night we came from the airport. Maybe he had had a bad day. The breakfast in the morning was great, the room packed but the food was good & plentiful, with a great variety & good quality. The staff were great - my son did not get up in time & they helped me find a tray so I could bring food up for the both of us to our room. Couldn't ask for more really in terms of a nice & helpful staff. We got a great price for a hotel room in miami. We did not arrive in time to sightsee the night before our cruise, so the out of the way location was not a problem. In the morning the driver of the van the front desk helped arranged to get us to the port was very nice & no problems with our transportation. The free high speed internet was a nice touch too.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2009

We booked a one bedroom suite at this hotel because we wanted a spacious accommodation close to Miami Airport. Upon arrival we were offered a free upgrade to a two bedroom suite. The suite turned out to be extremely spacious, more than enough for a family of four. The suite consists of one bedroom with two queen beds and another bedroom with one king bed. Each bedroom has an ensuite bathroom. The bedrooms are separated by a living room with kitchenette. The kitchenette is extremely well equipped, you could cook a four-course meal there if you felt like it. Unfortunately, there are only two chairs at the big living room table and the other persons have to sit on the sofa, which makes eating a bit uncomfortable. But that's the only drawback of the suite. Otherwise it is perfect and all is very clean.
The free breakfast was of average quality. Nothing to write home about, but you won't leave hungry. The stuff is friendly and helpful. We didn't use the pool but looking at it from the window of our room, it did not look too appealing. The pool was full of leaves and seemed to be quite dirty. However, the pool area is nice and there is a big gas BBQ. There is no restaurant in the hotel or in the immediate vicinity. You will need a car to get some food. There are a Publix supermarket and some fastfood restaurants in about 3 minutes driving distance (I would think 15 minutes walking distance, area seems save). Driving time to the airport/rental car stations is about 10 minutes maximum. Even though the hotel is just outside the airport area the rooms were very quiet and the planes barely audible. Overall it was a pleasant hotel experience and we will certainly stay there again on our next visit to Miami

Chesterfield, MO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2009

Our suite was immaculately clean, the kitchen well supplied, and the bathroom, though small, was also very clean. Beds were outfitted with premium linens and a comfy pillowtop mattress. We arrived on an evening flight and asked about food delivery. A local restaurant had flyers at the desk. After a comedic battle to place an order with a gentleman who obviously knew English as a second (or third?) language, we waited over an hour and a half for our order which was to arrive in 30-40 minutes. After 3 phone calls to check on the order (one which was answered simply, "We close") the order arrived, half of which was incorrect and all of which was nearly inedible. At breakfast, we were starving, as were many, many people at the free buffet. The employees obviously did not expect many guests to eat there, because they ran out of everything within 15 minutes, and placed semi-frozen food on the buffet ("use the microwave") and we were left with little more than coffee and Fruit Loops. I loved our room and would stay there again, but would make a trip to the grocery beforehand!

Kansas City, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2009

We are just back from an 8 day vacation which began with a 4 day cruise to the Western Caribbean and 4 days post cruise stay in Miami. Two of the nights we stayed at Homewood Suites Blue Lagoon and the last two nights at the Embassy Suites Miami Airport location. I actually liked the room set up at Homewood Suites. The lobby is nice with a wonderful aquarium when you first walk in the front door. There is also a baby grand piano for a nice touch. We were granted an easy early check-in before noon with no hassles (unlike the comment when we checked in early at Embassy Suites two days later.) The one bedroom suite was perfect for two women and two 13 year old teens girls. Especially the bathroom which is between the bedroom and livingroom area with doors to each area. So there were minimal interruptions when going to the bathroom. The kitchenette was nice to hold purchases such as soda and fruit from the Publix grocery down the street and leftovers. We were provided with dishes, silver, glasses, bowls, coffee cups, pots and pans, coffee and coffeemaker, refrigerator, stove, microwave, dishwasher, sink, paper towels, iron and ironing board, toiletries and shower cap. The sofa sleeper mattress was a little dilapidated, but the teens handled it okay. One teen said she felt the mattress springs. The two double beds in the bedroom were soft and comfortable. There is a ceiling fan in the bedroom tool. Great idea! Breakfast was okay. You can tell they rush things somewhat, but the set up was nice and it was more than just continental breakfast. They actually had scrambled eggs daily, bacon and sausage on alternative days, and potatoes each day in addition to various breads, muffins, coffee, juices, milk, cereal, fresh fruit daily. Very decent breakfast. Was there on Friday and Saturday, when they do not offer the dinner. However the dinner calendar shows the offerings for the month which included meatloaf and mashed potatoes, lasagne and garlic bread, etc. Also, the teens were allowed to use the computers as much as they wanted--and these are die-hard computer girls.... I had to go get them after 5 hours of use on Friday. After the first night I did notice that the hallway carpets needed cleaning. They weren't bad but I could tell they needed shampooing where people had spilled liquids and it was not shampooed prior to other walking on it. The pattern of the carpet covered these faults fairly well. Did not notice any spots in the suite though.

On Sunday prior to checking out, we ate breakfast on the patio where we saw huge FISH (I was told they were carp) about 2.5 feet long each. (BIG!!!) They swam up to the patio waiting for guests to throw some of their breakfast threw the wrought iron fence to them. It was fun watching them come up to gobble up pieces of toast, etc. There must have been about 50 (BIG!!!) fish swimming around for food. It was pretty spectacular in the quiet of the early morning. Be sure to take the kids to the patio to check out the fish during mealtimes. They will get a kick out of this! The fish are huge!

I was not as impressed with the Embassy Suites when we checked in on Sunday just about noon. It was early, but they offered to hold our bags and then decided they had a room and that they normally charge for early check-in--but they didn't charge us. I assumed (falsely) that since I was Hilton Honors and early check-in was free. I was told that was not the case. But we got checked in early none-the-less. We did not have any of this when check approximately the same time two days prior at Homewood I was a little surprised at Embassy since both are Hilton properties. (See my review on the Embassy Suites--Just Okay) The room was nicer at Homewood, more for your money in terms of a kitchenette and the bathroom setup.

This was a very nice comfortable clean hotel. After staying at the Embassy Suites one day, the teens stated that they liked Homewood better,but the breakfast at Embassy Suites was better. I tend to agree with the girls. I recommend this hotel as a good value especially in today's economy and you don't feel like you went the cheap route because the hotel is actually nice and comfortable. Actually you feel pretty smart for picking such a good deal!!! FREE PARKING too!!!!!

Washington DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2009

We stayed one night prior to cruising. The hotel shuttle picked us up within 10 minutes, but then did another lap looking for more passengers. Our room was great - small kitchen and living room and a bedroom. Based upon suggestions from the front desk we walked two long blocks (less than 10 minutes) to a strip mall with a grocery store, liquor store, and several dining options.

Breakfast the next morning was above average for a hotel and we enjoyed the pool and hot-tub for an hour or so before checking out and catching a cab to the port. If you arriving too late to enjoy Miami, and checking out the next day, this is a great place to stay!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Homewood Suites Miami-Airport / Blue Lagoon? Share your experiences!