“Awesome staff” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #37 of 129 Hotels in Miami
Saskatoon, Canada
“Awesome staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

This hotel provides not only a large living and sleeping space but also all the amentities and perks to make this a great value. To add to that, the staff are exceptional and make this an "over the top" selection to stay near the airport area. Walking distance to Walgreens and CVS stores and other strip malls. A great choice all around.

Review collected in partnership with Homewood Suites by Hilton

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
El Dorado Hills, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

Stayed at this Homewood a couple nights after our cruise to explore Miami. Figured it was centrally located, and it certainly was. As close as it was to MIA, we never heard any flight noise.

Upon check in, the front desk agent, whom I didn't catch her name but remembered her name tag stated she hailed from Memphis, let's just say it was definitely not the warmest check in experience I've ever had. Literally, the only words that came out her mouth were, "Any specific floor preference, or does it really matter?" and when she gave me my keys, "You know about our breakfast served each morning, right?" I was really shocked, almost made me second guess if I was checking into a roadside motel or a Hilton branded hotel! I just shrugged it off and figured she was having a bad day.

Upon getting our luggage, we took an elevator located on the far side of the hotel, and when we got to the 5th floor, we passed by the area of room 509 and I'm not sure what happened but it smelled like dead fish. I'm not easily grossed out but it was horrible and I gagged. Unfortunately, the housekeeper must've been immune to it because that area smelled that way during our entire stay. When we got to our room, it met our expectations of that "home away from home" feel with the apartment-style room with a kitchen and separate bedroom. However, the furnishings were showing it's age as the furniture was worn, the carpet definitely did not feel clean, the walls had a lot of patch jobs, the tile in the bathroom did not look clean, the bathroom fan was clogged with dust, found a lot of hair in the bathroom area, one of the bedside lamp's light bulb socket was literally hanging off the wire and lastly, my biggest pet peeve as if the previously mentioned items were not enough, the AC sounded like a train and did not cool down the living room area, thankfully the bedroom had a fan so it got really cold in there.

The next morning we checked out their breakfast at about 8:30am and it was sheer madness. It felt like I was at Hometown Buffet or something. Other guests had lost all sense of courtesy and manners and kids were running amuck. It also didn't help that the breakfast was horrible; when I opened up the chaffing dish of Corned Beef, I saw nothing but pools of grease, it was disgusting. The biscuits were hard as a rock, but the gravy was tasty. There was nowhere to sit, in addition to tables not being bussed, as the poor breakfast staff could barely keep up with the demand.

One thing also worth reiterating was the hospitality of the staff, or lack thereof. I unfortunately was wearing a foot brace therefore I wasn't walking as fast as I could. Upon walking down the hall on the 1st floor towards the housekeeping laundry area to head to the parking lot, I saw a staff member walk in from the outside to apparently clock in, he saw me and so I smiled. After he clocked in, I was literally a few steps behind him towards the exit door and rather than taking even a second to hold the door open, he disregarded my existence. He jumped into his 370Z which was parked right in front of the door, drove off to park in the lot and finished to get dressed. The only staff member that was pleasant was the gentleman working the front desk at 5:30am when I called to say that we were checking out.

My first preference in hotel accommodations will always be a Hilton branded hotel, Homewoods included. However, I can honestly say that I will never choose to stay at this Homewood again nor would I recommend it.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Stephen P, General Manager at Homewood Suites Miami-Airport / Blue Lagoon, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
We're very sorry to hear that you had such a disappointing experience. As our guest, we want you to feel at home with the extra touches that our friendly staff provides. Your comments have been shared with the appropriate departments so we can improve in all areas of daily operations. We value your business and hope we can invite you back for the enjoyable experience you expect.
Bella Vista, AR
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

We recently were about to cruise out of Miami and arrived a day early, like usual. We choose the Miami Airport Homewood Suites, mainly because if was one of the few hotels available at a price that would break the bank. We couldn't have made a better choice. The rooms were clean, spacious and complete with full kitchen, the bed was comfortable, service outstanding and on Monday thru Thursday a light, but substantial dinner, complete with beer and wine is served. Every morning a hot breakfast is available. The drawback might be no restaurant on the grounds so you need to hop in a car or walk over to one of the nearby places if you are not preparing you own meal or dinner isn't served that night. I would recommend the Homewood suites for a one night stay or a longer one because of the kitchen facilities, as well as the friendly staff and good location. There are several hotels within walking distance that offer full restaurant service, and the airport is just a few miles away, with shuttle service back and forth.

Room Tip: We were at the very end of the hall, overlooking the pool area. It was quiet and for us, the best lo...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

We were there for 3 nights and enjoyed our stay here. Will definitely like to stay here again. Enjoyed eating breakfast by the side of water. Hotel staff was helpful. Very close to Airport. Shuttle service was good too.

Charlotte NC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

We stayed here one night pre-cruise in December. The front desk is very friendly and helpful. It felt as if there was no air conditioning in the hallways which left you feeling sticky. The elevators were very slow and made odd noises that made you nervous. The room was large in size which was nice - however they smelled somewhat smokey. It may have been previous occupants, or maybe cleaning solutions and air fresheners - not sure but it had an odd odor. The room was clean- and the bathroom area was nice that the toilet and bathtub were separate from the sink area, and also the bedroom- nice layout for our family. There was a ceiling fan and tv in the bedroom - and a tv in the living area as well. Plenty of seating, a table and clean well equipped kitchen area. We ate breakfast at the buffet - what a nightmare ! It was on a Saturday, and full of families getting ready to go on cruises, so take that into consideration. The buffet area is just not equipped or laid out to handle the business it saw on this Saturday morning. Food was all over the floor, you couldn't get to the coffee, the cook couldn't cook the food fast enough, etc- just bad all the way around. I'm guessing during the week it is just fine - just not where you want to be on a Saturday morning. I would stay here again during the week only, and hope my room didn't smell like smoke.

A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

I tried to extend my stay here for 10 days starting the 26 of Dec. I was told that my room rate would go up $100.00 a day. Asked to have the manager contact me. Shortly after I returned to my room the front desk called and told me not to worry about it that there was no longer any rooms available.....

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Homewood Suites by Hilton

Stephen P, General Manager at Homewood Suites Miami-Airport / Blue Lagoon, responded to this review, December 30, 2013
We're sorry we could not accommodate your request for an extended stay. We'd really love the opportunity to continue to serve you and we'd be happy to speak with you in more detail. Please feel free to contact us at any time.
Dakota Dunes, South Dakota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

Great 2 bedroom suite with 2 bathrooms. Everything in our stay was wonderful. The breakfast was good, room were very spacious; easy to access business center. Park on the left side of the building in order to access the elevator near the parking lot. Very convenient to the Miami International Airport and it has shuttle service. Staff was helpful and pleasant. Rooms were very clean and very spacious.

Review collected in partnership with Homewood Suites by Hilton

Been to Homewood Suites Miami-Airport / Blue Lagoon? Share your experiences!