“Wonderful room, small annoyances” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book early and save 15%!
Ranked #39 of 129 Hotels in Miami
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Wonderful room, small annoyances”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

We chose this particular Homewood Suites for New Years Eve due to its proximity to the airport for the early morning arrival of some family members. Miami International Airport is less than a five minute drive from this hotel and it is extremely easy to get there by one road and one highway. Therefore, the hotel served its intended purpose and I have no complaints about that. Also, we had booked a one bedroom suite with two double beds and the room was great for our three person party. We had plenty of room to relax before heading out for the night, plenty of room to store the food and drinks that had accompanied us on our drive from Tampa to Miami, plenty of room for the three of us (two guys and one girl) to get ready for a night out, and very comfortable beds. We were very pleased with our room. We were also very pleased with our nice view of the "Blue Lagoon", even from the first floor. Other reviews hold true about the noise from airplanes flying overhead as we did not hear any noise from the airport when we were inside of our room. Also, the hot breakfast had a lot of variety and was very good for any breakfast, no less a free one. I greatly enjoyed scrambled eggs, sausage links, and homefries while others in my party enjoyed Belgian waffles that they had cooked themselves. Check-in on New Years Eve and check-out on New Years Day were both quick and easy with absolutely no problems. We had a small issue with the toilet in our room and it was resolved very quickly.

You may wonder why I rated this hotel a 4 instead of a 5 with all of the compliments I have to give. There are three main reasons why and I will begin with the biggest reason: Linda at the front desk. We had decided to take a shot at attempting to get a cab to take us to South Beach. When we went to the front desk to ask about it, Linda refused to call, stating that the cab companies had not been answering their phones all night. That seems fair, after all, it is one of the busiest nights of the year for cab companies. So, we asked if we could have the number to a few local cab companies just so we could continuously try on our own. Apparently, this was too much to ask as the snotty attitude became worse and she insisted that she "couldn't help us" and that we had an option to take the shuttle to the airport and attempt to catch a cab there. Once again, her suggestion seems fair but the attitude and refusal to give us numbers to cab companies seems a little unfair, and frankly, rather unprofessional. I will give her the benefit of the doubt and assume that her nasty attitude and unwillingness to help were due to the fact that she was bitter that she had to work on New Years Eve. Or, perhaps, it was the fact that there was absolutely no air conditioning in the lobby and hallways of the hotel. This was reason #2 for the "very good" rating. Our room did have air conditioning, but even when we would set it in the low 70s, it would somehow or another creep its way up to a higher setting. We were pretty convinced that it would randomly turn off as we knew when it was on; it was quite loud. However, back to Linda, even with the benefit of the doubt, it is absolutely unacceptable for someone in customer service to treat customers as if their simple requests are an inconvenience to her. If this happens to you, walk down the street to the Hilton and look around their parking lot. We caught a cab there with no problems ... AND ... we came to that solution on our own! Thanks for nothing, Linda!

Reason #3 for the "very good" rating was the condition of their outdoor patio. This hotel is set on a beautiful lake with really pretty views. I was awake and eating breakfast on New Years Day by 8:15am so that I could go to the airport to pick up some family members. I decided to eat my breakfast on the patio outside of the breakfast area in order to take advantage of the beautiful setting. When I walked out onto the patio, I was very surprised at what I had seen. Empty alcohol bottles were strewn all over the tables, apparently left over from a party the night before. Paper plates and cups from breakfast were also left on the tables and the entire patio area was dirty and in complete disarray. I was rather surprised that this area was not cleaned by the staff prior to breakfast and I was even more surprised that no one had periodically checked the patio for trash left by inconsiderate guests. Needless to say, the view wasn't so pretty anymore so I retreated to the dining room to eat my breakfast.

Don't get me wrong, I would probably stay here again as I really don't require much more than a clean, comfortable room and good customer service. I would just be sure to steer clear of Linda. Other than that, the other problems could have been due to the volume of people and the holiday so I would give the hotel another chance!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Buenos Aires, Argentina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

We stayed in this hotel and nothing much has changed from my last review four years ago, and it's not a compliment. The rooms haven't been renovated but the LCD TVs. The kitchen appliances are old and rusty and the furniture too. Sofas and chairs were stained and worn out. The WiFi is terrible inside the room, I had to go near the elevator or the lobby to get some decent connection. Also, the TV doesn't have too many channels, in fact the same as 4 and 6 years ago, the hotel could afford to add some new channels, specially HD as the Marriott's have.
One thing good is the manager's reception Mon through Thursday with real good food.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the lagoon are quieter, ask for one. The ones facing the airport are noisy.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
miabl, General Manager at Homewood Suites Miami-Airport / Blue Lagoon, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us. We sincerely appreciate your feedback-especially the comparison between now and four years ago. We apologize for the condition of your guest suite and I'm sorry that you didn't see many changes since your last visit. We will take your comments under consideration as we continually work to improve our guest experience. We hope you will consider staying with us again in the future to see how we've changed.

Kind regards,

Salt Lake City, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights after the cruise. Got a 1-bdrm suite with 2 beds, a sofa pullout and a small kitchen/sink. The room has good, comfortable space in both the bedroom and the living area. the vanity/sink is outside of the the shower/tub/toilet which I like. Breakfast area is arranged so you don't have to stand in line for everything. It's faster but can be hectic during peak hours. Be sure to walk out the balcony from the lobby and enjoy the large fish. The hotel is right next to the airport and within close vicinity to other Hilton brand hotels. The surrounding is very nice with lakes and open space. Located conveniently next to the freeway exit. Drive to downtown is about 15 mins in normal traffic. There are walgreens and other grocery stores within 5 mins drive.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
New Canaan, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

This hotel is a little tired but has a great price point. The rooms are large and as I have said, tired but they are clean. I had a two bedroom suite for an extremely affordable price. The hotel is about a mile from the airport and has a shuttle. Be forewarned however; if you are arriving late you will not be able to take advantage of the shuttle. We arrived in Miami at 10 pm and after we collected our bags we called the hotel. We called 6 times and let the phone ring at least 20 times with no answer. We gave up on the shuttle and paid the $15 extortion fee to go the 1 mile to the hotel. Once we got to the hotel the checkin was fine. I have no idea why they wouldn't answer the phone but I am confident it had to do with the fact that they did not want to inform the guest that the shuttle wasn't running. I wouldn't have wasted the 30 min I waited for the shuttle. It was a little annoying. Especially as a Diamond member of Hilton.
Breakfast is free and with that comes a crowded mass of mayhem. Sometimes and included breakfast isn't worth the aggravation. It was a free for all and mildly disturbing. Don't let that change your mind about staying there. $250 for a 2 bedroom suite is worth it.
Other than the lack of answering the phone the staff was pleasant and helpful.

Room Tip: The 2 bedroom suite is away from the main elevator and at the end of the hotel.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
miabl, General Manager at Homewood Suites Miami-Airport / Blue Lagoon, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
We appreciate your loyalty as a rewards member and we are so pleased you chose to stay with us. We want everyone to feel welcome and at home with us and I'm sorry we fell a little short of that. I apologize for the inconvenience and our absence when you tried contacting us for a shuttle ride. I'm also sorry for the disorganization at breakfast. Our staff is looking into additional methods on managing lines and assisting guests during meal hours. We hope to see you again soon.

Warm regards,
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

Large rooms - a little tired though, OK breakfast and dinner (mon-thurs). Nice desk staff. Shuttle every half-hour to MIA. Pond behind the hotel has massive fish! Be sure to toss them a bagel or two ;)

Room Tip: Rooms on south side face lake. I imaging the north facing rooms on the upper floors would have airpo...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Killaloe
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

Stayed here on Dec. 21,2013. Very pleased with checkin, size and cleanliness of suite, no issues whatsoever. Had a small business centre where we printed off our boarding passes. Breakfast buffet was very adequate for complimentary buffet meal. Complimentary shuttle was late by half hour, so if you have not left adequate time for checkin and are running late, less stress to take a quick cab ride over to MIA. This hotel is so close to airport it is not necessary to travel on expressway! Big bonus during peak travel periods. We left our car Free parking for 10 days. Very appreciative perk----certainly made up for the return cab fare from airport. Didn't want to wait any longer than 15 min as had long drive back over to Bonita. Would highly recommend this hotel for ease on/off expressway, close to airport, cleanliness of room, and friendliness of staff. Only giving a 4/5 rating due to late shuttle. They run every half hour. No issues with free wi-if.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

It was a great place to spend the night as we went to the Orange Bowl. Close to the airport and rooms are very spacious. Only disadvantage is that there is no Wi-Fi available. Rooms are comfortable and large and some with good views of the lagoon that the hotel is located on.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
miabl, General Manager at Homewood Suites Miami-Airport / Blue Lagoon, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about our hotel. We are thrilled to hear that you had such an enjoyable stay with us. We hope you will visit us again when you return to the Miami area.

Best Regards,

Gody Almonte

Been to Homewood Suites Miami-Airport / Blue Lagoon? Share your experiences!