“Homewood Suites Blue Lagoon” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book early and save 15%!
Ranked #42 of 129 Hotels in Miami
massachusetts
“Homewood Suites Blue Lagoon”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011

Stayed here one night. We had four people and reserved a two bedroom suite. The suite had a living room type area with comfy chairs and a small couch and a small kitchen with a table between the two bedrooms. Each bedroom had its own full bathroom. There was also an electric fireplace which was nice. Seems a bit unnecessary in Miami, though.

There is a shuttle bus from the airport; I called for it after we got our luggage and the bus was there about ten minutes later. There is another Homewood Suites location nearby so be sure you get on the right shuttle.

Check-in was quick and efficient. The lobby was nice. The suite was clean and in good shape. We could look one window and see the pool, another, the "lagoon".

The breakfast was ok. It included some hot food, scrambled eggs, sausage, toast, pastries, juices, milk, coffee. I can't remember if they had the waffle maker. We arrived on a Saturday night so I can't comment on the evening meal. While you're at breakfast, be sure to step out on the balcony that overlooks the lagoon and check out the giant carp that swim over. Bring your room key or you'll need someone to let you back in.

There aren't any restaurants in the immediate area so, being tired, we ordered pizza from one of the fliers that were left in room.

There is a grocery store about a ten minute walk from the hotel if you need anything.

My one complaint is that the walls are somewhat thin and because it's an airport hotel, people are coming in at all hours. Running water and cans tossed into wastebaskets from surrounding rooms are easily heard. Earplugs were somewhat helpful. Despite this, I would probably stay there again.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2011

I stayed in this Hotel for 2 days 11/19/2011, 11/20/2011. I booked this hotel after I read reviews on this website. The hotel is clean and 2 bedrooms-suite is very suitable for family stay. The staff is very nice. I called hotel in the morning of 11/19 before we took flight to Miami to ask for a suite facing the lagoon, not facing the airport. The staff answered they will try and could not guarantee. When we arrived in the evening, we got the suite facing the lagoon! The hotel shuttle is very good, we called hotel at airport and the shttle bus arrived at airport within 10 minutes. The staff is very polite and the breakfast is very good. Before I left I thought about recommending this hotel to my friends for their future stay in Miami. But the departure experience total destroyed my good feeling with the hotel and changed my mind.

Here is the detail:

On the day I checked out(11/21/2011) I asked Hotel staff at front desk to introduce some shuttle providers to me
for transportation from the hotel to Cruise terminal. The Front desk staff referred only one shuttle provider
(I did not remeber driver's name, is 'Alfaro' or 'Rodolfo', or something like that. But I do have his phone number:--) and this shuttle driver gave us very bad experience at the end of my stay at Miami
and therefore totally destroyed the very good impression the hotel gave me during my 2 days stay. Before we left I talked
to the driver at the hotel lobby. Our party have 5 adults and 2 children. The driver gave me the price is $10 per adult,
no charge on kids. therefore total price is $50 dollars. We thought this price is O.K. At that time, one of 5 adults was at airport
and we asked the driver whether it is O.K. for him to pick up the person on the way to cruise terminal(The hotel is very close
to airport) and he agreed to do so but he did not told us there is extra charge for this before we took on the shuttle. However when we arrived at cruise terminal, the
driver asked us to pay him $70 instead of $50. We were all shocked by his request and asked him why. He said that the airport charged him $20.
I know this is lie since there is no such airport charge at all. we went with him all the way and did not see any airport personnel collect
money from him. It is too ridiculous. This dishonest shuttle driver insisted on asking for $20 more dolloars from us and we had no time to keep on
arguing with him.(We need get boarding on cruise ship, a cruise line personnel urged us to check-in our luggage. ) so I just gave him $20 to get rid of him. This was very terrible experience and shocked me a lot.
Since this shuttle driver is the only one referred by hotel staff. This bad experience totally destroyed my trust to the hotel. I will NOT recommend Homewood Suites at Miami Airport to any person.

My suggestion for future guests is doing homework (searching shuttle providers and taxi on the web) by yourself first and not just using the one hotel referred.

Room Tip: Choose the room facing the lagoon for quiet. Search and choose departure transportation by yourself.
Portland, Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2011

My wife and I stayed here recently. I would say up front that the hotel is average for extended stay category hotels. There is nothing too bad but nothing too great either. The positives would be that it is close to the airport and they serve a dinner meal along with free draft beer (Icehouse) and wine that is more than just appetizers. This can help you save the expense of a meal if you are on a budget. The other items that were negatives but were not too terribly bad are as follows:

There is such limited space in the way that the bathroom was built that the door will not close unless the toilet seat is raised up which is odd for a modern built hotel. I've only seen that in old hotels in which a bathroom was built into the room.

Despite the 5th floor being smoke free as far as we could tell we smelled quite a bit of smoking. We didn't smell an overwhelming amount of smoke in our room. We did smell smoke while walking down the hall and when we had our window open which was could have been coming from below us. We did provide feedback to the front desk staff.

Wi-fi internet access in our room was a little spotty and slow but free. They do have an ethernet port with a cable but even that wasn't much faster.

Breakfast food was plentiful but quality wasn't all that great. Options for breakfast are scrambled eggs that weren't that fresh tasting, either bacon or sausage links, & some type of tater tots. There was also yogurt (two types full of sugar), bread, and some fruit (apples, banana's, grapes). To drink they had coffee, water, sugar filled orange and apple juice. One other note: Although there was plenty of seating it can still get crowded so you may not want to eat during the last hour that breakfast is served.

Air-conditioning is loud. I recently got off a cruise ship and the humming of the ship's engine were quieter than our air conditioning. The rooms also lack any type of air circulation. We opened our windows to get fresh air.

Overall it wasn't a bad place to stay and could stay here again but it would not be my first option. It is just that I have stayed at Homewood Suites before and I better for $150 a night.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
miabl, General Manager at Homewood Suites Miami-Airport / Blue Lagoon, responded to this review, December 6, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about our hotel. I apologize for the inconvenient smell from our smoking rooms during your stay. We will take your comments into consideration as we work to solve this problem. Also, I apologize that you were not 100% satisfied with our dining options. I have brought your comments to our culinary team, and we will keep your recommendations in mind as we actively rework our menu offerings. We hope you will give us a second chance if you return to the area.

Regards,

Gody Almonte
Alberta, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2011

I stayed at this hotel for 1 night. I was already stressed as I had to leave a cruise ship in St. Kitts and fly to Miami and attend at the Miami children;s hospital for a medical emergency. Very stressful vacation. I had chose to leave the Ramada North airport hotel as there was issues with providing a mini fridge and baby crib that were promised at check in the night before. I chose to leave the Ramada and visit at the Hilton as they offered good rates for those that are in need of a hotel and got a discounted rate of $129 for having the list of hotels from the Miami children's hospital.

When I arrived at the hotel I was pleased. Very nice hotel and a nice area. The front lobby was warm and inviting and well decorated. Upon my arrival to my room #618 I was very pleased. Everything was perfect and everything appeared clean. Separate bedroom area., large bathroom with separate vanity area, full kitchen (minus) an oven and separate sitting and dining area. Very satisfied at first. Then the smoke started to roll in. I knew when I took the room that it was a smoking room. I too smoke but take it outdoors. I felt like the occupants on my floor were smoking directly in my room. It was constantly smelling of fresh smoke, I opened the windows as far as they would allow 3-4 inches and had the drapes pulled back to allow for some fresh air flow. It didn't help. I started putting towels by the main front door to block the incoming smoke. It too did not help., turned on the fan above stove top to high and left bathroom vents running in hopes of ridding the smoke that seemed to enter our room. Still nothing improved. I have serious doubts about the ventilation system in this hotel as the smoke was overwhelming. On the 6th floor you get off the elevator and race to your room as it is sooo smoky in the hallways too.

When I finally went to bed I still could not sleep, kept inhaling second hand smoke from an apparent chain smoker/smokers. It was disturbing me and I could not sleep. I got up to cover the vents with pillows and blankets in hopes to stop the awful smoke from entering our unit. Finally turned on light to do this and noticed bugs on the night stand. I lifted the corners of the mattress and voila there were critters there too. There were bugs on the mattress and on the bed skirt. Ewwww, called the front desk and he sent up security to take a look. Yes, the security man also seen the critters crawling on my bed. I also took pictures and videos which I will add in later.

I was told there were no other rooms available and to call them back in a bit. I was in a panic freezing all my bed clothes and anything that was on the floor or near the bed in the full size fridge/freezer provided. Unfortunately this was around 1:00am. I began to research changing my flights and leaving all together for home. No avail, on that one. At around 3am the hotel front desk sent up the security to tell me they had found another hotel for the night for me. I took their offer and packed up the toddler and myself and left this hotel. The security drove the hotel's shuttle bus to the new hotel. The Marriot Spring Hill Suites. I did receive an apology from the gentleman at the front desk that evening of course, did not have to pay for the room itself. Although, the staff at the Marriott Spring Hill Suites were amazed they did not pay for my first night there as a result of the stress they put me under for staying in a bed bug infested room.

I liked the feel of this hotel when I arrived. The front desk was warm and welcoming. Tastefully done and very nice, well appointed rooms with a great amount of space, but by no means want to sleep with critters. I am not a professional but they did appear to be young bed bugs.after researching the internet at length until it started to get spotty around 2am.

I would stay here again ONLY if I was reassured there are no bed bugs in my room or throughout the building and if they made it a non smoking facility inside as I don't think their ventilation system works well enough to ensure clean air indoors. I did check out their pool area earlier, although I never used it it seemed rather plain in comparison to the hotel. Square, fenced in area at back of property. Didn't stay long enough to enjoy their complimentary breakfast! Won't be back until I KNOW nasty blood sucking bed bugs are eliminated and smoke free throughout entire hotel. I could have enjoyed this place otherwise.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
I want to apologize for the unfortunate experience that you had at our hotel. The health and safety of our guests is of the utmost importance and is always a focal point of our operations in order to continue providing our guests with a great experience. We work closely with a professional pest control company to address and rectify any pest situation that might occur. We have reviewed your comments with our staff and promise the situation has been addressed. We also apologize for the inconvenient smell during your stay. I hope that you will give us another chance should you return to the area.

Regards,

Gody Almonte
New Orleans, Louisiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2011

My partner and I wanted to get away this weekend. We had a friend’s 50th birthday party to attend and decided we would stay close by to be out as late as we wanted. Well, we dined, wined, and danced until about 10:00 pm, then we were done. Homewood Suites was a great idea. Because there are two separate rooms/suite, I was able to catch the last part of the LSU – BAMA game while my partner crashed in the other room. I also liked there being a kitchenette area since we brought snack food from home that I was able to heat up on the stove top and put our fruit and couple of bottles of wine in the sizable fridge. For my partner, she likes staying by water and Homewood Suites accommodated up by giving us a room on the Blue Lagoon side. She loved the nice view, quiet, and especially the king size bed.

The next morning, I got up early for the hotel full buffet breakfast. There was lots of variety from scramble eggs, sausage, French toast, fruit juices, baked goods, cereals, and of course coffee. The hotel must be kid friendly because there were lots of kids running around enjoying themselves and the food. Outdoors from the breakfast area, there is a patio where the kids were throwing bread to humongous carp. The carp would literally jump 2-3 feet to get at the bread before it hit the water.

After breakfast, I checked out the internet in the business center. There were 3 computer but only 2 seemed to be working. It was a busy morning for the business center, so I did not try to stay long. Homewood Suites has a decent late check out, so I got a chance to get a short nap before leaving the hotel headed home. We had a relaxing and enjoyable time at Homewood Suites/Blue Lagoon.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Lima, Peru
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2011

I recommend this hotel. It is near the airport but there is no noise that can bother you. I stayed there last October 2011 with my husband on vacation. We were amazed by this hotel. The suite really big, comfortable, totally clean. The beds super comfy, clean, clean and clean. We had a very delicious breakfast and a delicious dinner. All free!! The ladies at the reception desk were very friendly and helpful. This hotel is near a supermarket, a drugstore and some small shops. It is sorrounded by a beautiful lagoon, totally relaxing. On my next vacations I am going back to this hotel. It was a very nice experience.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Muscat, Oman
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

Homewood suites provided an excellent service in keeping us comfortable in our stay, for providing transportation (whether thru their service shuttle or helping us get cabs), for a hearty breakfast and of course for having accommodating staffs.

The area is quiet and secured plus we had a great view. The gym is not big but the equipment are quite modern and all in good condition, since i was the only one who used it at the time, i had a nice quiet workout time. There was a laundromat too which we conveniently used to keep us from bringing home loads of dirty clothes...

I just also want to mention that a friend of ours who checked in to one of the popular hotels near the airport was actually surprised to know we had 2 LCD TVs in our room, as he only had a CRT TV on his room. Having good TVs was a plus for us as we end our day watching great plays!

The only thing that disappointed us a little was the cost of grocery items in their hotel shop... although it is expected to be expensive, it was way too expensive, an example would be a bottle of Blue Moon Cost 5USD while we later found out that the grocery nearby sells 6 bottle of Blue Moon for only 6 USD,,, oh well, charge to experience. =)

Another thing is, if you want to go to South Beach area or the other main attractions in Miami (going to the North / South of the airport)... cabs are really costly... it will be a lot better if you rent a car (if you drive of course)

All in all we had a comfortable stay at Homewood Suites Blue Lagoon.

We will definitely stay here again given the chance to be back in Miami.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
HomewoodSuitesSocial, Social Media Manager at Homewood Suites Miami-Airport / Blue Lagoon, responded to this review, November 2, 2011
Hi bluealistair,

Thanks for the great review! We appreciate the comments about our hotel, services and location. We hope to see you again soon if you return to the area. Safe travels!

Heather Harris

Been to Homewood Suites Miami-Airport / Blue Lagoon? Share your experiences!