“Our new Miami home away from home” 4 of 5 stars

Mayfair Hotel & Spa
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3000 Florida Ave., Coconut Grove, Miami, FL 33133   |
Ranked #75 of 131 hotels in Miami
Eugene, Oregon
“Our new Miami home away from home”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2006

We stayed at the Mayfair for three nights as part of a business trip to Miami. Our stay was wonderful. Great bed, fabulous bathroom, tons of closet space, giant flat screen. Folks at the front desk were friendly and helpful with check in and directions about town. One reason we chose the Mayfair was that we wanted to stay in a walkable neighborhood. It's right in the middle of the Coconut Grove shopping area with lots of restaurants, bars and entertainment. Lots to do right outside the door of your hotel. Noise might be a little bit of an issue on the weekends but our stay was very quiet and restful. Our only complaint was the spa on the patio left a lot to be desired but the incredible soaking tub in the bathroom more than made up for it! Our new place to stay in Miami.

• Liked — decor
  • Disliked — Outdoor hot tub on patio not clean
  • Tips/Secrets — roof pool coming soon
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

946 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
Winston-Salem, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2006

As noted by the previous reviewer, I was a bit nervous about my upcoming visit to the Mayfair after reading recent reviews on this website. I agree that the secret to success at the Mayfair is to reserve a suite on an upper floor and to keep the door to the bedroom closed at night to buffer exterior noise. We actually had two suites (one for us and one for other family members) and both were outstanding. The entire family was impressed with the size and decor of the rooms. Our younger contingent loved the hottub. Every staff member we encountered was pleasant and professional. We did valet the car and it wasn't a problem. We would have had to spend a lot of our short vacation time parking and retrieving the car if we hadn't used the hotel's valet service. This hotel is an excellent value, in our opinions. We look forward to returning to the Mayfair when we're back in the Coral Gables area.

• Liked — spacious well-decorated rooms
  • Disliked — no views
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Chatham, NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2006

Ok, I was checking Tripadvisor daily about this hotel before leaving for two days....had booked in the first place because of a very reasonable price for a two room suite. But the last review I read sent me to the cancellation policy, only to discover that I had missed the window by two hours. My daughter and I were stuck and, man, was I apprehensive.

I so thoroughly scrutinized every interaction with staff, every corner of the room, every phone call to the front desk that I was driving myself crazy. And, with the exception of some loud conversation at 4 am the second night, the experience was close to perfect.

The room was so unique in design, great beds and linens, terrific bathroom (wonderful Grohe rain showerhead), nice layout, nice hot tub on the balcony, ceiling fans....and the decor of the entire place is unlike anything I've seen before. The center atrium is magical. Our experience started when we registered early, since we had an appointment until 8 pm. When we got back to the hotel, the front desk person knew right away who we were, keys were waiting, and our request for a quiet room had been accommodated. We could not figure out how to fill the hot tub -- our call to the front desk was promptly answered and the man sent to help was at our door within 2 minutes. We were always politely greeted, all questions and phone calls quickly answered. The place overall was immaculate and the staff performed just fine.

We took other reviewers' advice and parked elsewhere. While there is a parking garage across the street, there are also a number of open parking lots just a few blocks away that charge between $5 - $6 for overnight. The only catch: you have to be out by 9 am, which was not a problem for us. During the day, throughout Coconut Grove, there are blue parking kiosks that give you a slip for your dashboard noting the length of parking time paid for. It is an easy and efficient system but have lots of change; not all the machines take bills.

Now, there are some idiosyncrasies about the hotel that might bother some but which added to the quirkiness for us. Yes, the rooms can be dark but we found it restful. I searched for an outlet in the bathroom (coffee pot and hairdryer both provided, so I knew there had to be one!) and it took a day to discover it high up the wall next to the outlett for the bathroom plasma TV. (We moved the coffee pot to the built in desk nook, no problem). If there was one thing I just didn't like, it is that the balcony faces a very ugly concrete wall and there is no view. I cannot figure out the layout of the rooms in the hotel so I guess this is what you get with a quiet room.

About that 4 am conversation -- I awoke thinking "Oh, no, here we go" but realized I had not closed the doors between sitting and bed rooms. That greatly helped the situation but also gave me an understanding of how the noise carried between balconies and through the open atrium areas outside your door. Fortunately, the conversation, while loud, was short and over quickly.

And checkout was accurate and so fast, the valet had not finished turning my car around when we arrived with suitcase. Also he was shocked that I still tipped him -- cannot be the same guy an earlier reviewer encountered.

The bottom line -- yes, I would stay here again and anticipate another enjoyable visit -- but only in one of their quiet rooms and only in a suite with two rooms separated by a door. Even then, other patrons conversations might be a problem but I think that is an inherrent design flaw in the layout of the entire hotel. I am willing to take the chance.

Sorry for the long posting but I spent two nights in the place with writing this review in mind!

• Liked — unique decor and room amenities
  • Disliked — noise factor and concrete wall view
  • Tips/Secrets — ALWAYS ask for a room on the quiet side (inner room)
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Jacksonville, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2006

Showed up and the room was amazingly huge! Great accomodations..but thats it.

1. The noise is crazy.
2. Pool what pool?
3. Condos bieng built right next door.
4. Staff must be on some work release program because they honestly dont care about anything.
5. Valet...ok I think they took my car out on a joyride, I had 12000 miles when I checked in and 12098 when I got it back.
6. Valet, again they could not find my car at the end of my stay..I waited for an hour...but was comped a free night on my next visit which will be hmmmmm NEVER!!
7. Hot tub on balcony chock full of large roaches..nice

Avoid it. I stay at Kimpton hotels all the time and when I booked this I was unaware Kimpton had dropped this one from its line..now I know why...go to the Sonesta right down the street and stay there..trust me you wont be dissapointed.

• Liked — rooms were big
  • Disliked — everything else
  • Tips/Secrets — the sonesta is walking distance...run to it and stay there!
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Budapest
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2006

if you compare to another " Leading Hotels of the World" in Miami, (Aqualina, for instance) we wouldn´t consider this one to be comparable or it shouldn´t belong to the list.

- so so service: breakfast included was a joke and staff at the restaurant was never in a good mood or could offer a decent job
- so so hotel: too dark, too humid outside the room, small entrance
- so so room: although we had 3 TVs, nice bathroom and nice bedroom size. It looks a worn out place, floor needs some repair, you need to turn all lights on to have a good quality light, balcony gave a bad impression (dirty, lack of cleanliness)

• Liked — temperature of the room
  • Disliked — breakfast
  • Stayed September 2006
Chicago, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2006

The Good:
Rooms- Excellent two bedrooms, two baths, 4 plasma tv's, one in bathroom. Nice amenities inside, bed, dressings etc.

Location- Outstanding, Coconut Grove has plenty of places to party and is centrally located.25 minutes to South Beach, 25 minutes to Airport. 30 minutes to Orange bowl for the game. 6-7 miles form campus.

Party Scene- Very Decent for an off shoot of South beach, nice variety of clubs, sports bars and restaurants.

The Bad:

Customer Service-Employees were nice but not once in our 4 day stay was the phone answered when we called down for anything(internet service had to be repaired twice). Explanation to this were too many requests, well how does this happen repeatedly for 4 days?
Bait and Switch- This Pool thing must end.......it is still not ready do not believe the internet. Pictures posted Hah! Everyone we encountered wondered about this.

Overall- Went down with two other buddies and had a great time, happy witht the Hotel overall but the Pool and service definitely could get better. Price was good and the room provided what we needed and the location to fun is just steps away.

• Liked — In room amenities(i.e, tv's , jacuzzi etc
  • Disliked — Customer Service, no pool
  • Tips/Secrets — Make Sure Pool is in working order
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New York City
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2006

Too loud. Our first night our room was directly above a bar called "Wet Willies" which features every kind of slushy mixed with alcohol imaginable, as well an outdoor sound system and screaming drunk patrons till 2 in the morning when I could take it no more and got our room switched.

The second room was quieter, but there was still plenty of screaming late into the night and we had the pleasure of some drunk teenagers who were looking for a party in a nearby room mistakenly banging repeatedly on our door at 1 am.

On the plus side, the hotel is lovely, the staff very helpful (no surprises when we asked to change rooms), and the appointments of the rooms great: plasma TV, robes, individual hot tub in each room. We did have problems with the TV working, but they got it fixed.

I ended up buying earplugs just to get through the evening on our three night stay, but I still felt like Elmer Fudd in that cartoon where Daffy Duck is the hotel manager and keeps waking him up. My eyes weren't that bleary, but they were close.

To be fair, the neighborhood is not the hotel's fault. Even driving up to get to the valet parking was a scene out of a frat movie with drunken folks wandering in the street.

I picked the hotel based on the positive travel reviews on this site, and while I've been very happy with other hotels I found via tripadvisor, this one was a severe disappointment, and I hope that if noise is an issue to you, that you read this review.

If you enjoy late night partying every night, then this is a great hotel. If you're older, and just want a quiet nights sleep, do not stay here. The savings are not worth it.

• Liked — The rooms were beautiful and the bed very comfortable
  • Disliked — The late night noise
  • Tips/Secrets — Bring earplugs
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Mayfair Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!