“Exceeded My Expectations!” 4 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3000 Florida Ave., Coconut Grove, Miami, FL 33133   |
Ranked #75 of 131 hotels in Miami
“Exceeded My Expectations!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2005

Took a gamble on this one because of the mixed reviews and concern about construction noise, but I was pleasantly surprised and completely comfortable. I decided to take a chance due to the great rates and the "japanese soaking tub" in each room. My standards are pretty high for strange sleeping quarters and I am fair, but critical. There was significant renovation and construction, but the hotel is absolutely beautiful and enchanting. The front desk staff were somewhat cold, but my room and the great location made up for it! My room was very contemporary with a tropical feel. It was very large and clean. The linens were quite clean and the bed comfortable. There was a large screen plasma TV and a very nice bathroom with marble tile. It is a bit noisy on certain sides of the hotel because it is in the heart of the lively Coconut Grove area. This is great because you are in close proximity (no cab required), but if you wanted to sleep like I did, then earplugs are a must. I would DEFINITELY stay there again, especially if the price is right.

946 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2005

Needing some time away, but not too far away we booked 3 nights at the Mayfair. The hotel renovations are wonderful and the room was great. Staff was very ready to please as well. Spa wasn't open yet but I am sure it will be wonderful. We are in Ft. Lauderdale and have spent 3 months completely renovating our home, which can be very stressful--add to that I am pregnant and so my husband and I needed some major rest and relaxation. Everything was great until about 11 pm. It turns out there is a hip hop club right across the street from the hotel that attracts a very low class crowd that gets into screaming and yelling fights every night we were there. Some idiot was resting on his horn for about 15 minutes, then the police arrived and their sirens were blaring. It was a nightmare--did I mention this was from 3:30-5:30 AM!?!? Second night was the same, except no sirens and the cops broke it up and seemed to have sent everyone home around 3 am. I couldn't take it anymore, we were exhausted. I told the management what happened and they were very apologetic and let us check out one night early and they gave us a nice compensation. They told me that they have been battling w/ the city to do something about that club as there are even Coconut Grove residents on the same block that have sold their condos and had to move away. She told me to ask for a "quiet room" next time we stay. So, be warned!

• Stayed November 2005
Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2005

My boyfriend and I are stationed in Iraq and we had two weeks R&R to the states. We chose to spend it at the Mayfair Hotel and Spa and we couldn't have made a better decision. As soon as we walked into the hotel lobby you could hear the sounds of relaxation and the greenery with outdoor ceiling fans, big fluffy couches in the lobby sit the mood. When we got to our room it was very spacious with white linen and hard wood floors. The bathroom was marble with a rain down shower head. On our terance we had a jacuzzi with a wall blocking the view so we had the option of getting in the jacuzzi naked! The staff was awsome. I highly recommend this place.

• Stayed September 2005
Miami,FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2005

I love this hotel.. The surroundings are beautiful, the staff is excellent. The Valet and Bellman had great knowledge and ideas for what to do in the city. The room is beautiful, the restaurant and bar are almost open and from what I can see they will be beautiful once they are finished.

Hurry and stay here now once the renovation is complete the average person will not be able to afford to it.

• Stayed October 2005
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2005

It is somewhat difficult to give this hotel a "proper" rating because the rooms are really nice!!They are nice size, well appointed, comfortable. The 42" plasma and the amenities are all upscale. BUT --buyer beware!!!--Even recognizing that construction is underway, Mayfair Hotel and "Spa" (not) are leaving many areas unattended.!!

My husband and I went Friday til Tuesday for a "getaway" weekend. Having read the many "different" reviews, I called in advance directly to the hotel to get clarification from them about what to expect. The young lady told me "all the rooms are completed", restaurant nearly done and that they provide room service.

Well --it is NOT true! Many, many of the rooms are still under construction/renovation. They order your food from a nearby restaurant (limited menu-no breakfast) We arrived Friday afternoon to a huge cloud of dust in the lobby. They were moving all manner of furniture and it was even confusing as to where to check in. The first floor lobby is non-existent (a taped walkway to the elevator). You must go to the second floor where they have a table with computer workstations. The "welcome, "staff" were seated there and rather non-chalant.--do not expect champagne, and that area could use the attention of the cleaning crew.

There were numerous empty flower pots sitting, crumbs on the tables from the continental breakfast (every day) and very drab presentation in that area which, by the way, doubles as their daily "wine reception" area.
We went down for the "wine reception" which is scheduled 5:30 to 6:30 daily. Sat on dusty couches (construction) for 20 minutes, and since they had not put out the wine, we left.

Our room was on the quiet side of the hotel as requested. And we really enjoyed that part of our stay. I agree that this place has a huge potential. But right now, unless you are getting a serious and huge discount, or unless lust, and clutter, and withering plants in the open areas do not bother you-- wait until next year before booking a stay.

• Stayed September 2005
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2005

I live in Coconut Grove and recently stayed at the Mayfair
for one night with my 11 year old son. We stayed there
because Hurricane Katrina caused our neighborhood to be
without electricity for 5 days. On the fifth day, when I realized
my son had tired of cold baths and sleeping with windows
open under unbearable heat, we retreated to the Mayfair.
It was the first time I have ever stayed there and it will
not be my last.
We had a beautiful suite on the 4th floor with two plasma
televisions and a nice size bathroom. We were treated very
well. Even though we live nearby, it was like a mini
vacation to us. We met several other guests and guess
what-they were from Coconut Grove and Coral Gables.
I guess I was not the only person escaping the heat.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2005

Avoid this hotel. I was adequately warned of the renovations, but found that the Hotel has obviously discontinued cleaning and maintaining the public areas during this time. The room had nice furnishings, but was located on the West side of the building, where there is some extremely loud nightlife. For a light sleeper, it is impossible to rest there. I found a huge palmetto roach in the room and the hot tub appeared dirty. The final straw was when I called for an additional package of coffee from housekeeping (there is no room service and the hotel stocks the room with only one cup size pack of decaf and one pack of regular). Three phone calls and 2 hours later - still no coffee. Regardless of renovations, this is not the type of service I expect from a five star hotel.

• Stayed August 2005

Been to Mayfair Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!