“HUGE Disappointment” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #59 of 122 Hotels in Miami
Miami Beach, Florida
“HUGE Disappointment”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

I recently stayed at the Mayfair Hotel as part of a wedding room block that I had reserved. From the start there were issues. Over the course of a long weekend, myself and my guests encountered these issues - most of which were not handled well at all by staff.

-Mix ups at check in: There were mistakes made constantly with our check in. Personally - as the groom - my check in was already messed up. They sent me and my bags to a room that was already occupied. You would think that in a wedding room block they wouldn't be confused by more than one room having the same last name.

-Dirty Rooms: One room was so dirty that when walking barefoot on the floor it would render your feet black. Another had mold in the dresser drawers.

-Gift Bags not handed out: We had agreed to pay a fee of $3.50 per room for the front desk staff to hand out welcome/gift bags to members of our group upon check in. We noticed that this was not happening at all until we called and informed them. Even afterwards, the staff claimed that they had given out all of the bags, even though we know that not everyone got them. So in other words, they either gave them to the wrong people, kept them for themselves, or threw them out in order to make their precious $3.50.

-Elevators barely worked

-Construction noise began at 8AM on the weekends.

-Partying noise: The caliber of guests within the hotel was not what you would expect from a 4 star establishment. There were parties every night. On Thursday night the hotel actually hosted a University of Miami frat party.

-Room Keys Never worked - I personally had to get my rooms keys redone 4 times over the course of a weekend

-Valet a mess - at times there were cars 10 deep on line waiting for valet

-On Sunday at 11AM there was only one person working the check out desk, resulting in long lines. You would think that at the height of when people check out they would be better staffed.

-Cleaning Staff: They ignore do not disturb signs and enter your room anyway.

Overall, this place was a complete mess from start to finish. The rooms are big, but who cares when everything else is horrible. The pool deck was nice with a great view, but other than that there is no reason whatsoever to stay in this hotel. I live in Miami, and will make sure to tell anyone visiting to stay as far away from this place as possible.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

This older hotel has a lot of character, the rooms are big and we got a good deal on Priceline, but the room cleaning was lousy, even when we brought it to the staff's attention. The marble floors were so filthy we couldn't walk barefoot without them coming up black. In a supposed 4-star hotel! Give me a break.

Stayed January 2015, traveled with friends
Amersham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

I enjoyed this hotel and would stay again. However, looking at the reviews you can see a lot of difference of opinion on this hotel. This is one of the cheaper of the four star hotels so that should give food for thought and is probably why some of us booked it in the first place! Location wise, it is well placed for all the amenities of Cocunut Grove. There are public transport options and the Hop-on-Hop-off bus has stops nearby. A taxi from the Airport is about $25. The hotel lobby is meandering yet segmented and getting from floor to floor sometiimes feels like being at 'Hogwarts' and you may need to take a combination of stairs and elevators. Do have a good look at the Atrium's - they are quite astounding and the plants very appealing. There is a nice pool and bar area on the top floor. The rooms are of good size, solidly built and have good day to day maintenance but the day to day housekeeping is a bit sketchy. Pets are allowed in the hotel and because of that, I assume, I was picking up dog hair on my feet in the room throughout my stay. I do not think the floor was cleaned during the four days I was there. There are no views from the rooms really as they all have the jacuzzi on the balcony/terrace and in order to make them private there is a lot of covering plantlife which does its job to shield prying eyes but means you cannot see out either. But it was nice, in my room, being on the third floor, almost having my own garden on my balcony. Not a whisper of insect life anywhere - how they managed that I don't know but well managed discreet insecticide I suspect. The Jacuzzi was great and you only pay the $30 set-up fee once and only if you want to use it; makes sense as a lot of energy needed to fill and heat, also you can inspect the inside before use - mine was very clean and obviously well maintained. The wifi worked OK for me most of the time. All the staff I had dealings with were polite and pleasant.

• Stayed January 2015, traveled solo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

horrible services. Nasty receptionist. Rooms are not like pictured at all. Very seedy and extremely neglected. Can use a good scrub down. Elevator doesn't work properly. Dingy and disgusting. Don't stay there

• Stayed January 2015
Rugby, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

After a long flight and waiting in imergration we arrived at the Mayfair Hotel. First impression the Hotel was rather tired, after arriving in our room the smell was rather musty and and damp, my wife complained and asked for another room this met with unhelpful comment, I went to reception and was told that no other rooms available, the gentleman at reception could not have been more UNHELPFUL. We will not be going back

• Stayed January 2015, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

My first impression of this hotel was great. Walked in to a lovely smell and headed over to Front Desk. I read reviews so I had mixed emotions from the beginning. Was greeted by a wonderful young lady named Evon and I knew I was early so she kindly assisted me by checking in my luggage and requested for my number once the room was ready. Checked out the roof top it was great! Surprisingly I received a call back from the same young lady and was eager to go into the room. Check in process was a breeze and Kevin was a gentleman. So this is the part where I see that people complain. The cleanliness to the room is fair. My bed sheets had stains yes I did report them and yes they were changed. Hot tub was a bit dirty (that was also reported and it was cleaned) this property has a lot of potential but could use a little bit of tlc and maybe other cleaners that are more detailed and cautious. Over all my stay was ok but it could have been better. Sometimes little things become a big issue in the end.

• Stayed January 2015
Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I wanted nothing more than to love this Hotel. There was construction noise so loud, it literally sounded like someone was drilling in the wall of my room, starting at 7am and continued until 10am. Later my bathroom flooded leaving standing water in the bathroom, hall, and up to the bed. When it was "cleaned up," the towels were not replaced leaving us with no towels, fine. I still would have recommended this hotel. I was planning on coming back...

HOWEVER, When my stay was shorten by a day, I was charged for a “no show” even though I had called 24 hours in advance to let the hotel know of my change in plans. I even called to double-checked the policy on dropping a day before my trip. I can prove I called, I have the call log but, the manager refused to refund me the charge.

When I checked in, I asked if there was a problem with my one night cancellation was told, no. I had no idea anything was wrong until I saw the strange charge on my credit card. The appropriate thing to do would have been to notify me of the “no show” when I checked-in! or when I checked-out and was presented with a bill for a three day stay…and ZERO mention of a charge for a forth day.

I feel lied to and feel cheated. I was lied to when I was told there was no problem denying me the opportunity to dispute the issue immediately, on-site. I feel cheated because; at the time of check-in I gave the front desk the name of the woman I spoke with about the cancellation. I can’t remember her name now so the manager won’t give me a refund (How about her name is; woman, working reservations at 10:59am on Dec 27). Had I been alerted to the “no show charge” at the time I would have passed the manager’s test.

A reasonable person, would recognize that I should have been told about the charge, and my phone calls should have been returned. A reasonable person could see the Verizon call log with a 3 minute call at 10:59am on December 27, and realize I talked to someone at the hotel. A reasonable person could check the staff schedule and ask that woman working if she took a call at 10:59am. The manager conceded he believed I made a call to cancel my reservation. He is still refusing to refund the money.

So stay here if you want. But, if they over charge you or make a mistake on your bill, just know, you can't do anything about it.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Mayfair Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!