“Fire the cleaning staff!” 3 of 5 stars

Mayfair Hotel & Spa
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3000 Florida Ave., Coconut Grove, Miami, FL 33133   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #66 of 129 Hotels in Miami
“Fire the cleaning staff!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

This older hotel has a lot of character, the rooms are big and we got a good deal on Priceline, but the room cleaning was lousy, even when we brought it to the staff's attention. The marble floors were so filthy we couldn't walk barefoot without them coming up black. In a supposed 4-star hotel! Give me a break.

Stayed January 2015, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Amersham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

I enjoyed this hotel and would stay again. However, looking at the reviews you can see a lot of difference of opinion on this hotel. This is one of the cheaper of the four star hotels so that should give food for thought and is probably why some of us booked it in the first place! Location wise, it is well placed for all the amenities of Cocunut Grove. There are public transport options and the Hop-on-Hop-off bus has stops nearby. A taxi from the Airport is about $25. The hotel lobby is meandering yet segmented and getting from floor to floor sometiimes feels like being at 'Hogwarts' and you may need to take a combination of stairs and elevators. Do have a good look at the Atrium's - they are quite astounding and the plants very appealing. There is a nice pool and bar area on the top floor. The rooms are of good size, solidly built and have good day to day maintenance but the day to day housekeeping is a bit sketchy. Pets are allowed in the hotel and because of that, I assume, I was picking up dog hair on my feet in the room throughout my stay. I do not think the floor was cleaned during the four days I was there. There are no views from the rooms really as they all have the jacuzzi on the balcony/terrace and in order to make them private there is a lot of covering plantlife which does its job to shield prying eyes but means you cannot see out either. But it was nice, in my room, being on the third floor, almost having my own garden on my balcony. Not a whisper of insect life anywhere - how they managed that I don't know but well managed discreet insecticide I suspect. The Jacuzzi was great and you only pay the $30 set-up fee once and only if you want to use it; makes sense as a lot of energy needed to fill and heat, also you can inspect the inside before use - mine was very clean and obviously well maintained. The wifi worked OK for me most of the time. All the staff I had dealings with were polite and pleasant.

• Stayed January 2015, traveled solo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW via mobile

horrible services. Nasty receptionist. Rooms are not like pictured at all. Very seedy and extremely neglected. Can use a good scrub down. Elevator doesn't work properly. Dingy and disgusting. Don't stay there

• Stayed January 2015
Rugby, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

After a long flight and waiting in imergration we arrived at the Mayfair Hotel. First impression the Hotel was rather tired, after arriving in our room the smell was rather musty and and damp, my wife complained and asked for another room this met with unhelpful comment, I went to reception and was told that no other rooms available, the gentleman at reception could not have been more UNHELPFUL. We will not be going back

• Stayed January 2015, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

My first impression of this hotel was great. Walked in to a lovely smell and headed over to Front Desk. I read reviews so I had mixed emotions from the beginning. Was greeted by a wonderful young lady named Evon and I knew I was early so she kindly assisted me by checking in my luggage and requested for my number once the room was ready. Checked out the roof top it was great! Surprisingly I received a call back from the same young lady and was eager to go into the room. Check in process was a breeze and Kevin was a gentleman. So this is the part where I see that people complain. The cleanliness to the room is fair. My bed sheets had stains yes I did report them and yes they were changed. Hot tub was a bit dirty (that was also reported and it was cleaned) this property has a lot of potential but could use a little bit of tlc and maybe other cleaners that are more detailed and cautious. Over all my stay was ok but it could have been better. Sometimes little things become a big issue in the end.

• Stayed January 2015
Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I wanted nothing more than to love this Hotel. There was construction noise so loud, it literally sounded like someone was drilling in the wall of my room, starting at 7am and continued until 10am. Later my bathroom flooded leaving standing water in the bathroom, hall, and up to the bed. When it was "cleaned up," the towels were not replaced leaving us with no towels, fine. I still would have recommended this hotel. I was planning on coming back...

HOWEVER, When my stay was shorten by a day, I was charged for a “no show” even though I had called 24 hours in advance to let the hotel know of my change in plans. I even called to double-checked the policy on dropping a day before my trip. I can prove I called, I have the call log but, the manager refused to refund me the charge.

When I checked in, I asked if there was a problem with my one night cancellation was told, no. I had no idea anything was wrong until I saw the strange charge on my credit card. The appropriate thing to do would have been to notify me of the “no show” when I checked-in! or when I checked-out and was presented with a bill for a three day stay…and ZERO mention of a charge for a forth day.

I feel lied to and feel cheated. I was lied to when I was told there was no problem denying me the opportunity to dispute the issue immediately, on-site. I feel cheated because; at the time of check-in I gave the front desk the name of the woman I spoke with about the cancellation. I can’t remember her name now so the manager won’t give me a refund (How about her name is; woman, working reservations at 10:59am on Dec 27). Had I been alerted to the “no show charge” at the time I would have passed the manager’s test.

A reasonable person, would recognize that I should have been told about the charge, and my phone calls should have been returned. A reasonable person could see the Verizon call log with a 3 minute call at 10:59am on December 27, and realize I talked to someone at the hotel. A reasonable person could check the staff schedule and ask that woman working if she took a call at 10:59am. The manager conceded he believed I made a call to cancel my reservation. He is still refusing to refund the money.

So stay here if you want. But, if they over charge you or make a mistake on your bill, just know, you can't do anything about it.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
Leawood, Kansas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Attended a wedding here - it was very nice, the wedding was in the hotel, the food was nice, and the hotel did a good job of making the event memorable.

If I were rating the wedding, it would be five stars, but this is a hotel rating. For the price, the room was dated. We did love the jacuzzi that was on the outer deck of the room - that made up for a lot of issues.

Overall, we enjoyed the event, we enjoyed the stay. But it felt like we were attending an event in the past - this hotel could be so much better with a makeover.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Mayfair Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!