“Mayfair Hotel Not All THAT!” 2 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3000 Florida Ave., Coconut Grove, Miami, FL 33133   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #64 of 129 Hotels in Miami
Sebastian, Florida
“Mayfair Hotel Not All THAT!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

We booked into the Mayfair for my wife's birthday. We were attracted to the hotel because of the roof top pool and bar, the closeness to the Grove and because it billed itself as an 'elite hotel.'
When we arrived the desk clerk immediately upgraded us to an larger room and he was very nice. We asked to be down graded however because we wanted a room with a patio and a hot tub. They were nice and took care of our wishes.
The problem with the Mayfair is that while being a nice, interesting hotel it is really beat up. The fixtures in the bathrooms were all loose with holes around them, the water pressure was not very good, the hot tub was filthy dirty and we ordered breakfast on Sunday morning that arrived completely cold. We asked for another delivery and this too arrived cold. We decided to just forget about the ruined breakfast. What was supposed to be a nice relaxing morning birthday breakfast turned into a joke for a hotel that thinks it is 4 stars.
The last straw was we loved this hotel for the pool, bar and view. We planned to spend Saturday evening after dinner enjoying the view having drinks. Well they kicked us out at 3PM because they booked a wedding into the pool and bar all night and never said anything to us about it. So at $400 a night the food was cold, the room was sub-par with no water pressure, poor internet as well by the way and simply no pool access which was the main draw. I would NOT recommend this hotel to anyone especially at the prices they are asking. Not a 4 star hotel in any way ................... anyway these are my thoughts and we were very disappointed with our stay.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
MayfairMgr, Manager at Mayfair Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 5 days ago
Dear Skokboks,

Thank you for taking the time to share with us about your recent visit to our property and we are extremely disappointed to read that your stay was less than expected.
As I had the pleasure to checked you in, I am specially disappointed to read that you did not enjoy your stay; and I would had love to try to accommodate you in any way possible unfortunately I was never made aware of any issue.
In relation to the pool, it is truly unfortunate the timing as there are very few times that the pool is closed for private events, we would like to apologize for the inconvenience that that could have caused.
Once again I would like for your candid review and I hope to have the opportunity to regain your confidence sometime in the near future.

Director of Front Office

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Wicklow
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I read quite a few reviews before going to this hotel and there was a mixture of opinions so I decided to give it a try. All I can say is that all the good reviews must have been written by the hotel management because they made no sense whatsoever. I visited with my husband and 12 year old daughter over Thanksgiving. On walking into the room there was a horrible damp smell and although the room didn't look too bad at first when I opened the door of the 'balcony' I was horrified to see that it looked straight onto a brick wall! There was also no furniture on the balcony and there was a rotten looking hot tub there which looked filthy and you wouldn't dream of getting into. The wardrobe was tiny, the drawers difficult to open and just way too old for a hotel room. My daughter wasn't feeling very well so she wanted to lie down. I decided to lie down with her and when I put my head on the pillow I could smell stale sweat as if they hadn't been cleaned! I went straight to the Manager and told him about this and got a real blank look from him. I basically said 'this is meant to be a four star hotel and I couldn't believe that the sheets weren't clean. I had to suggest to him that someone come and clean the sheets while we were out. When I went to bed that night the duvet smelt of cat urine - I later discovered that this was a pet friendly hotel - aghhh! need I say more. When I finally left the hotel I was dying for the receptionist to ask how my stay was but surprise surprise I wasn't even asked, she took my key and hardly said goodbye. I think that in it's day this hotel could have been special in around 1930 but for todays discerning travelers it should be avoided at all costs.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled with family
Dear Juno55,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent visit to our property and we are extremely concern to read that our staff did not react properly to your inquiry.
I would like to share with you that even though our property is pet friendly our housekeeping department has procedures in place to make sure that the rooms that were occupied by a guest with a pet are deep clean and that no sign or smell of any pet being in the room is left.
We are truly sorry that the bed sheets did not feel clean and I will definitely address this matter with the director of housekeeping to find ways to avoid from this happening again.

Montreal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Really 4-1/2 not 4 stars, but that option was not available and could not quite give the delicious Mayfair 5 stars, but boy, I wish I could!
In an era of cookie cutter chains, the eccentric mix of art and and amenity is a true delight. Could it use more plugs, yes, but there were enough and strategically placed in an updated work desk. In fact I appreciated that the room had two work spaces, a thoughtful amenity because everyone works all the time.
We received an immediate upgrade upon arrival. The service was polite, gracious & accommodating. The artwork and architectural detail throughout is original, often using laborious processes - ironwork, fine concrete traceries, fabulous carved wooden doors. These have all been replaced by ubiquitous large abstracts in banal shades of turquoise or red black & white and could all be painted by a conglomerate of artists whose primary goal is not to offend.
The only reason I didn't give this hotel five stars is because the towels needed replacing. They were just this side of pristine and that is enough to deduct a half star - but only just.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear forensa,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property and we can not tell you how wonderful it is to read reviews of our guest that truly get the uniqueness of our property.
Our hotel has been a stable of the city due to its prime location but also for its great charm and character and we extremely proud of the jewel that it is.
We sincerely hope to have earned a loyal guest that will continue to visit us every time you are in the vicinity to take in all the great character and amenities our property has to offer.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

This is the second review I write about this hotel and it's because I have stayed at the Mayfair Hotel twice a month for the last 6 months and I must describe it unique, charming, and customer service oriented. Either you come for pleasure or business like me, you would absolutely love it! I have advised our company's travel advisor to please recommend the Mayfair to all our business travelers coming to Miami!!

Stayed December 2014, traveled on business
Dear RalphCA,

Thank you for taking the time to share with us about your recent visits to our property and we are truly delighted to read that you have enjoyed our property.
We can not wait to have you back as one of our loyal guest and we truly hope to have also many of your colleagues staying with us in the near future.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

The rooms smell like mildew,& urine,floor is filthy, wood is peeling off the room & closet doors & the Japanese hot tub is disgusting! The service at this hotel is very poor!!! Would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed December 2014
MayfairMgr, Manager at Mayfair Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear myladyb,

Thank you for taking the time to share with us about your recent visit to our property and we are very sorry as well as concerned after reading your review.
I have forward your review to the director of housekeeping and we have started the process of finding how this could have happened as it is unacceptable.
We sincerely hope to have an opportunity to regain your confidence as we are very confident that an event like will not repeat itself.

Miami
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

On November 29, 2014 I was there for a Wedding Anniversary Party in the second floor. Everything was beautiful and very well done. The service was outstanding and the food could not be better. I can recommend this hotel for any type of events. Thanks to Danielle de Varona for all her coordination.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled with friends
Dear,

Thank you for taking the time to share with us about your recent visit to our Iconic property and we are delighted to read that you were able to enjoy the event.
Our food and beverage department is an extremely hard working team of passionate individuals that come together to provide the best service possible and having them recognize with such kind words makes our entire team here at the Mayfair Hotel and Spa extremely proud.
We certainly hope to have you back in our property enjoying all of the great amenities that our property has to offer until then thank you for your kind words.

Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I was recently invited to a 50th Wedding Anniversary celebration at the Mayfair. I hadn't been there in years and had totally forgotten just how beautiful this property is. I must tip my hat to the chef who prepared the most spectacular meal......from the d'oeuvres to the meal, everything was amazing, including the service!! I would totally recommend this hotel for that special event!

• Stayed December 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Chris M,

Our culinary department is an extremely hard working team of passionate individuals that come together to provide the best service possible and having them recognize with such kind words makes all of us here at the Mayfair Hotel and Spa extremely proud.

Director of Front Office

Been to Mayfair Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!