“Worst hotel I have stayed in!” 1 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3000 Florida Ave., Coconut Grove, Miami, FL 33133   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #62 of 129 Hotels in Miami
Wicklow
“Worst hotel I have stayed in!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

I read quite a few reviews before going to this hotel and there was a mixture of opinions so I decided to give it a try. All I can say is that all the good reviews must have been written by the hotel management because they made no sense whatsoever. I visited with my husband and 12 year old daughter over Thanksgiving. On walking into the room there was a horrible damp smell and although the room didn't look too bad at first when I opened the door of the 'balcony' I was horrified to see that it looked straight onto a brick wall! There was also no furniture on the balcony and there was a rotten looking hot tub there which looked filthy and you wouldn't dream of getting into. The wardrobe was tiny, the drawers difficult to open and just way too old for a hotel room. My daughter wasn't feeling very well so she wanted to lie down. I decided to lie down with her and when I put my head on the pillow I could smell stale sweat as if they hadn't been cleaned! I went straight to the Manager and told him about this and got a real blank look from him. I basically said 'this is meant to be a four star hotel and I couldn't believe that the sheets weren't clean. I had to suggest to him that someone come and clean the sheets while we were out. When I went to bed that night the duvet smelt of cat urine - I later discovered that this was a pet friendly hotel - aghhh! need I say more. When I finally left the hotel I was dying for the receptionist to ask how my stay was but surprise surprise I wasn't even asked, she took my key and hardly said goodbye. I think that in it's day this hotel could have been special in around 1930 but for todays discerning travelers it should be avoided at all costs.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Montreal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Really 4-1/2 not 4 stars, but that option was not available and could not quite give the delicious Mayfair 5 stars, but boy, I wish I could!
In an era of cookie cutter chains, the eccentric mix of art and and amenity is a true delight. Could it use more plugs, yes, but there were enough and strategically placed in an updated work desk. In fact I appreciated that the room had two work spaces, a thoughtful amenity because everyone works all the time.
We received an immediate upgrade upon arrival. The service was polite, gracious & accommodating. The artwork and architectural detail throughout is original, often using laborious processes - ironwork, fine concrete traceries, fabulous carved wooden doors. These have all been replaced by ubiquitous large abstracts in banal shades of turquoise or red black & white and could all be painted by a conglomerate of artists whose primary goal is not to offend.
The only reason I didn't give this hotel five stars is because the towels needed replacing. They were just this side of pristine and that is enough to deduct a half star - but only just.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

This is the second review I write about this hotel and it's because I have stayed at the Mayfair Hotel twice a month for the last 6 months and I must describe it unique, charming, and customer service oriented. Either you come for pleasure or business like me, you would absolutely love it! I have advised our company's travel advisor to please recommend the Mayfair to all our business travelers coming to Miami!!

Stayed December 2014, traveled on business
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

The rooms smell like mildew,& urine,floor is filthy, wood is peeling off the room & closet doors & the Japanese hot tub is disgusting! The service at this hotel is very poor!!! Would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed December 2014
Dear myladyb,

Thank you for taking the time to share with us about your recent visit to our property and we are very sorry as well as concerned after reading your review.
I have forward your review to the director of housekeeping and we have started the process of finding how this could have happened as it is unacceptable.
We sincerely hope to have an opportunity to regain your confidence as we are very confident that an event like will not repeat itself.

Miami
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

On November 29, 2014 I was there for a Wedding Anniversary Party in the second floor. Everything was beautiful and very well done. The service was outstanding and the food could not be better. I can recommend this hotel for any type of events. Thanks to Danielle de Varona for all her coordination.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled with friends
Dear,

Thank you for taking the time to share with us about your recent visit to our Iconic property and we are delighted to read that you were able to enjoy the event.
Our food and beverage department is an extremely hard working team of passionate individuals that come together to provide the best service possible and having them recognize with such kind words makes our entire team here at the Mayfair Hotel and Spa extremely proud.
We certainly hope to have you back in our property enjoying all of the great amenities that our property has to offer until then thank you for your kind words.

Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I was recently invited to a 50th Wedding Anniversary celebration at the Mayfair. I hadn't been there in years and had totally forgotten just how beautiful this property is. I must tip my hat to the chef who prepared the most spectacular meal......from the d'oeuvres to the meal, everything was amazing, including the service!! I would totally recommend this hotel for that special event!

• Stayed December 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Chris M,

Our culinary department is an extremely hard working team of passionate individuals that come together to provide the best service possible and having them recognize with such kind words makes all of us here at the Mayfair Hotel and Spa extremely proud.

Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I celebrated my 50th Wedding Anniversary there a couple of weeks ago. It was everything and more I could of possibly dreamt of. We had a beautiful celebration in the Havana Room. Jose the Banquet Manager and Matilde, the Catering Manager were excellent. The Chef's meal was beautiful and beyond delicious and the service was outstanding. They treated us like a King and Queen. My husband and I stayed the night in one of the suites. The room was beautiful, clean and romantic. We fell in love all over again. Thank you for such a wonderful experience.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
MayfairMgr, Manager at Mayfair Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 2 days ago
Dear FdeVarona,

We are extremely happy to read that your celebration was a success, reading that you and your husband were able to rekindle your love for each other in our property truly brings a great sense of satisfaction for all us here at the Mayfair hotel and spa.
We sincerely hope to have you back in our iconic property sometime in the near future enjoying all of the great amenities our property offers for the love birds in all of us.

Warm regards,
Director of Front Office

Been to Mayfair Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!