“My 2014 Rotten Tomato Award - worst overall expereince” 1 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3000 Florida Ave., Coconut Grove, Miami, FL 33133   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #66 of 129 Hotels in Miami
Moscow, Russia
“My 2014 Rotten Tomato Award - worst overall expereince”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Welcome to my 100 Trip Advisor Review. I have loved Mayfair and frequented since 2004, this year alone i have been 3 or 4 times & my wife just spent a week there. I will never go back and here is why:
Even though they just did a new renovation, it is clear they did on the cheap, the place still looks tired. but I will give you 4 reasons why the Mayfair is my Rotten Tomato;
1/ Floor disgustingly dirty, in 2 of my stays I've been forced to move. Once was monster cockroach which although killed reappeared a couple of times (new renovation??) and 2 I repeatedly asked Housekeeping to clean my floor, they claimed they had but i had left 2 small items and they were still there. I am an Amputee so clean floor is essential so as not to risk infection.
2/ Internet, they changed provider but you could not look at Youtube nor access to Dropbox etc, twice it was explained to me the new provider was expensive and they were negotiating (this excuse spanned 6 months). But at over $200 I say to Mayfair; you inability to negotiate with a provider should not be visited onto your guests. Your problem do not punish your guests.
3/ And very annoying, my daughter left her Frozen Princess Nightdress when we checked out. No problem we were on a cruise and checking in again 4 days later, i called housekeeping who confirmed they found it and would keep. Upon return on my second day I asked, then third asked where it is. They tried to tell me they could not find it. So a) they had it b) then lost it. I suggested they buy her a new one. For someone who has spent well north of $25K they should have sent a staff to Disney store up the road and buy her one. Their reaction was tough.
4/ Parking BE WARNED, twice on check-in 1 used valet the first night ONLY but after at end i got a bill for Valet parking every single night, if i had not noticed it would have jacked my bill up by over $400. Think it is a mistake, think again my wife had exactly the same. They hit her for every night but she only used it the first night. So with 3/4 different check-ins 3 different occasions. Bet they make money money money. Why not ask guests how many times you used and amend bill (why put it there in first place). 1st time mistake, 2nd attempted charge shame on you, but 3rd time smacks of a BIG scam!

I do have a lot more that have happened over our last 4 visits but why flog this dead horse.

Sorry Mayfair, but fortunately Coconut Grove now has more & better 5 Star options. Hope housekeeping mislaying a $25 nightdress was worth it because that was really the straw that broke the Camel's back. And yes I saved your review until now as I wanted to see what my wife thought, to quote her; Run down, not attentive staff, rooms dirty, bad service, Pool drink prices outrageous & the place has generally plummeted in last 3 years. We are both used to staying in 5 Star hotels and yours is certainly not a 5 star hotel anymore.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Miami, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

The staff at the Mayfair Hotel & Spa was very cordial and accommodating. Although my visit was for business, I found time to relax. This hotel has a rooftop pool, a spa, restaurant, gym, can hold weddings, and much more. It is also located across the street from Coco Walk and many other restaurants. The only preventing me from giving it an excellent rating is the hotel could use a good cleaning. I enjoyed the suite after a visit to a nearby CVS to purchase cleaning supplies and cleaned the room/bathroom to my satisfaction. I'd actually stay here again.

Stayed November 2014, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

Fourth stay at the Mayfair in last 20 years and all consistently good. Room views are poor and balcony hot tub unusable, but architecture is unique and staff is excellent, particularly "Juana" in housekeeping who took the time to resolve any issues quickly and efficiently, and "Ernesto" at the rooftop pool bar who makes the best Mojitos in Miami. The location in the Grove is exciting without the limitations of South Beach. Recommended by someone who has also enjoyed the Biltmore, Mandarin Oriental, and Ritz (Key Byscayne and S.B.).

Room Tip: Ask for at least a street view which is about the best obtainable at the location.
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

If you're looking for a relaxing spa/hotel. This is it. Quiet town, top class spa, nice hotel. Nothing beats champagne on your balcony in your own Japanese hot tub. Don't expect the cleanest room or best service. Rent a car

• Stayed March 2014
Miami, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

This is a nice charming hotel, old but well kept. The rooms are spacious and very nicely furnished. It is located right in the center of Coconut Grove, in front of Coco Walk, so it is not necessary to drive to find a good restaurant or bistro. the only thing i have not appreciated is the fact that are missing the stairs, there are only elevators. The only stairs are for the emergency escape or for the service use, so it is necessary to do long runs to go fro one floor to the other and the wi-fi that is very slow.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled on business
Pottstown
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

My wife and stayed at the Mayfair Hotel and Spa based on a recommendation from a friend. The rooftop pool and bar was rated as one of the top places to go in the area, but the view from the roof is less than breath-taking. You can sort of see the bay if you look around the surrounding skyscrapers. It looked like it would be a cool night spot, but it closed at 8pm on the days we were there. Apparently it's open late on Friday nights and they have a DJ. The area around the hotel was very walkable. There was an outdoor mall nearby with various bars, restaurants, and shops and many bars and restaurants within walking distance.

The wait staff at the hotel was amazing. We had drinks at the bar/restaurant called Spartico. The bar tender was great. He let us try all the beers before we ordered because he sensed that we may not like a couple of the draft selections. When we ate dinner there, he gave us both a free limoncello.

In the morning, we ate breakfast at the hotel. Our waitress was a cute older lady. She tended to our every need and joked with us the entire time. I told her I wanted to take her home with us and she said she gets that from all the men. She was great!

Note that at the hotel (and in Miami in general) they added a "voluntary" gratuity of 18%. You can adjust the tip if you want, of course, but the way the checks are printed out it makes it look like the actual total unless you look at the line items. We have extra to the wait staff at the hotel because they went out of their way and they definitely deserved it.

Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Bed, bathroom, tv in the bathroom and over bed and in living room great. Outdoor hot tub not great. Pool was being renovated when we went. It was clean. I hear spa is good. Lots of shops nearby. The grove is a nice area.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
MayfairMgr, Manager at Mayfair Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 6 days ago
Dear 84chevelle,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to review us and we are glad to read that you enjoyed your visit.
As you mentioned the Coconut Grove area is a great part of the city of Miami and it is always so great to read about our guest liking our town.
We hope to have earned a loyal guest and we can not wait to have you in the Coconut Grove area enjoying all of the great amenities it offers all of our guest.

Jose Rico-Arango
Director of Front Office

Been to Mayfair Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!