“Excellent spa” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Ranked #67 of 129 Hotels in Miami
“Excellent spa”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

If you're looking for a relaxing spa/hotel. This is it. Quiet town, top class spa, nice hotel. Nothing beats champagne on your balcony in your own Japanese hot tub. Don't expect the cleanest room or best service. Rent a car

• Stayed March 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Pottstown
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

My wife and stayed at the Mayfair Hotel and Spa based on a recommendation from a friend. The rooftop pool and bar was rated as one of the top places to go in the area, but the view from the roof is less than breath-taking. You can sort of see the bay if you look around the surrounding skyscrapers. It looked like it would be a cool night spot, but it closed at 8pm on the days we were there. Apparently it's open late on Friday nights and they have a DJ. The area around the hotel was very walkable. There was an outdoor mall nearby with various bars, restaurants, and shops and many bars and restaurants within walking distance.

The wait staff at the hotel was amazing. We had drinks at the bar/restaurant called Spartico. The bar tender was great. He let us try all the beers before we ordered because he sensed that we may not like a couple of the draft selections. When we ate dinner there, he gave us both a free limoncello.

In the morning, we ate breakfast at the hotel. Our waitress was a cute older lady. She tended to our every need and joked with us the entire time. I told her I wanted to take her home with us and she said she gets that from all the men. She was great!

Note that at the hotel (and in Miami in general) they added a "voluntary" gratuity of 18%. You can adjust the tip if you want, of course, but the way the checks are printed out it makes it look like the actual total unless you look at the line items. We have extra to the wait staff at the hotel because they went out of their way and they definitely deserved it.

Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

Bed, bathroom, tv in the bathroom and over bed and in living room great. Outdoor hot tub not great. Pool was being renovated when we went. It was clean. I hear spa is good. Lots of shops nearby. The grove is a nice area.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

My wife had a 2-day conference in Coconut Grove, and since we live over 1 hour's drive (with the oppressive Miami-Dade traffic) from here, and events started at 8am, we decided to take advantage and stay the two nights and make it a little get-away for us. Once she checked in, however, things changed. The first room they gave her reeked of stale cigarettes, even though it was a 'non-smoking' room. You know, the reek that never leaves and is embedded in the fabric? Her allergies flared immediately upon entering and she demanded a new room. At first they tried to tell her there were none (because we got a discounted rate for the conference) but quickly found a room when she refused to stay in the room provided and planned to check-out for a full refund. The second room at least didn't have the reek, but the entire hotel has this odd musty smell that you can never get away from. She quickly decided that we would not be extending our stay and we would check out after night one.

Everything about this hotel is for their convenience and meant to nickel-and-dime you to death. For example, if you come in a vehicle, they will charge you $28 to park overnight. They had a basket of snacks in the room, which seemed nice at first... until I saw the card tucked between the snacks showing the PRICES. SIX DOLLARS FOR A PACK OF 6 Oreos?!? SIX DOLLARS FOR A BOTTLE OF WATER?!? Wow. Just wow. There was a nice soaking tub on the patio too... with an instruction sheet on the locked lid about how if you would like to use it you needed to call the front desk so they could send someone up to prepare it... with a fee. The fee was not listed, but based on the $6 cookies and snacks, I knew it was more than I was willing to pay to sit in a tub of water.

Now, at check-out after the first night is where the "fun" happened. While my wife went to day 2 of her conference, I checked us out. It wasn't until *AFTER* they had taken the key and completed the check-out that they informed me that they had charged me the FULL two-days. Their policy is that you have to make your reservation changes 24-hours IN ADVANCE OF CHECK IN. Even though we were fully checked out by 9am, we were charged the full 2-days, including tax. I could understand a small fee for changing the terms... but full price? On a Friday morning? Its not like they couldn't rent that room (and likely did) or that I was checking out after the normal check-out time or anything. The manager at the desk hid behind their policy (that we were not aware of since the terms were given to the conference staff) and refused to even discuss anything regarding refunding any of day two's fees.

Needless to say, I would never stay in this hotel again, nor would I suggest anyone else do either. In its heyday, the Mayfair was the "go-to" place for the rich and elite of South Florida (ie: the drug dealers and party people), but now its just an over-decorated relic of the past who is trying to hold onto their glory days by overcharging and cheating their customers. I guess technically, since its their "policy", they didn't "cheat" me... but it sure felt that way to me.

Bottom line: Stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: Choose a room at another hotel.
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Maybe in its heyday this was a fabulous hotel, but it is in serious need of renovation. Moroccan style tile and dark carved doors were absolutely creepy. My room was right next to the staff supply closet and across from the elevators, so it was very noisy to say the least.

The room? Don't even ask. My feet were black when I stepped into the shower/tub combo and the only place I walked barefoot was in the room. Yuk! No outlets were near the beds to charge my phone. And get this - no outlets in the bathroom sink area for hair dryer and flat iron. Had to dry my hair at the "desk" area.

Hot tub on the balcony did not have any water in it (not like I was goiong to use it anyway.) The downstairs bar/restaurant is overpriced low-quality Italian food and lighting is way too bright for a restuarant/bar combo. The lighting was more for a snack shop.

Like I said - maybe back in the day it was a cool place to stay, but the worn, outdated decor and shabby (not shabby chic) furniture have seen better days.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled on business
MayfairMgr, Manager at Mayfair Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 3 days ago
Dear katieling2014,

Thank you for taking the time to share with us about your stay in our hotel and we are delighted to read that you enjoyed our Iconic property.
One of the many great features of our property are our suites and their spacious layouts, we are so proud of having such an original hotel when not two suites are alike.
Our staff is always willing and able to assist our guest with the main set of a warm and welcoming attitude and always hoping to create a great ambiance for all of our guest.
We sincerely hope to have have earned a loyal guest that will continue to visit our hotel and enjoying all of the great features our iconic property has to offer.

Naples, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

This hotel was second choice to a more modern one around the corner but glad I had the opportunity to stay in it as it offered much charm and unique character. The room was large and not the usual linear lay-out (thus, the quirky!). It had the dark wood and tile floors of the Mediterranean architecture which may not appeal to all, but definitely representing a time period...and, yes, it is older, though remodeled. The location within Coconut Grove was perfect with accessibility to the shops/restaurants as well as the water walks and views. Since I was there on business, I wasn't able to appreciate all of the amenities, but good to see they are also pet-friendly.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled on business
Dear mcolemama,

Thank you for taking the time to review us and we are very happy to read that you chose our property over the "more modern one."
Our property has been a stable of the Coconut Grove area for thirty years and we are extremely proud of such, having all the artful details all over the property makes it a walk down all those great countries that in one way or another provide materials to adorned our great property.
As the only pet-friendly property in our area we are extremely flexible with our guest and their special pets in accommodating any kind of request and we hope to have you visit us with your special pet.

Edmonton, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I was looking for a hotel convenient to shops in Coconut Grove for one night before we boarded our cruise the next day and booked on their website. It was a special but still found it a bit pricey.

It was about a $30 cab ride from the airport. Check in was very quick and they accommodated my request for a room higher up and away from traffic but putting us on the 4th floor. The elevators are older but worked ok.

Our room was large, but tiled floor so I wore my sandals. The balcony was ugly with a view of a wall and It seemed dirty so I didn't even go out on it. It didn't have the Jacuzzi we were to have. Not that we would have used it as I think the price was $30. There was closet space, a mini fridge, and safe. In the bathroom, the toilet was separated from the shower/tub area. I didn't really like there was no shower curtain though. Bathroom also had a TV and phone. I guess they think people will spend a lot of time in there.

On the rooftop is a pool, cabanas, tables and chairs, and a bar. It was nice. It's accessible by a different elevator beside the 2 main ones. We bought breakfast and ate it on the rooftop which was nice. Views are ok if you peek over the ledge.

The location is good. It's close to shops, restaurants, and movie theatre next door. Walgreens is about a 10 minute walk away and Starbucks 2 minutes away. We walked to the pier area but it was evening so too dark to see much.

We asked for a cab and one came right away. It's about 15 minutes from the cruise ship terminal and less than $30 cab ride. Was ok for one night but wouldn't stay here longer than that.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear LovingSunandSand,

Thank you for taking the time to review us and we would like to thank you as well for choosing our property for the stay over.
Our property is part of a larger complex and there are some rooms that the balcony does end up against a wall but there's no excuse for it to be dirty, I will definitely reach out to the director of housekeeping and follow up on that area.
The Japanese hot tubs are in about 90% of our standard suites but unfortunately not all of the rooms have some, we do advertise the hot tubs but since there's a charge we understand that not everyone is going to want to use them.
We take tremendous pride in our location and having such a great amenity at our disposal makes our property very unique as well as our roof top bar that no other property in the area has.
We sincerely hope that you have enjoyed your stay and we hope that you would consider our property for your next visit to our great city.

Director of Front Office

Been to Mayfair Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!