“Dirty and Outdated” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #62 of 129 Hotels in Miami
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
“Dirty and Outdated”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

This hotel is outdated and desperately in need of an update.

The biggest issue is this hotel is dirty. The floors are tile and you could feel all the crap sticking to your feet as you walk around. I had to actually clean my feet when I got into bed because they were filthy.

Room service food was awful. The fruit from my breakfast was half rotten and I got the apple juice removed from my bill because it was hot.

My room was on the 3rd floor and for some reason my balcony was obstructed with some kind of trellis that seemed to loop up to the pool on 4th floor, letting in no natural light and creating the feeling of being underground.

I would not stay here again or recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled on business
MayfairMgr, Manager at Mayfair Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, yesterday
Dear Xandra842,

Thank you for taking the time to review us and we are truly sadden to read that our property did not meet your expectations.
Our property was renovated 3 years ago and by the end of this year we will have all new furniture for our patios and newly renovated elevators.
In relation to the floors of your room, it is completely unacceptable and we will be discussing such an issue with the director of housekeeping to find out why that's happening and the steps that will be taken to have it corrected.
Once again we would like to express our sincere gratitude for your time and we truly hope to have an opportunity to regain your confidence.

Director of Front Office

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Jerusalem, Israel
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

This "charming" hotel has some limited renovations (painting), though there is much work to do to be rated as a luxury property. Priceline rated it as a ****; which is a huge exaggeration for a hotel with leaky ceilings and a staff whom had to be called three times to repair it, as well as two calls to send more towels.

They are operating with a shoe string staff--one front desk person Lauren I believe was an exception to the rest as she tried to be helpful. The front desk manager should have been parking cars because he knew that little about hospitality.

I questioned our bill for incidentals and was told that someone would have to email me receipts, etc. as the accounting department was closed. I gave a copy of my business card and asked for follow-up within 48 hours. No problem for anyone responsible, right? Well there was NO FOLLOW-UP, and despite several messages to Nathan McGregor who I was told would do it, I was never given a return call.

No wonder why all of the disfunction, because the GM of the property, Axel Gasson doesn't return calls either. He is such an irresponsible manager that he has yet to record a personal greeting on his voice mail extension.

So I will dispute the bill through American Express and give them a battle. Also, I am going to request a refund (or partial) with Priceline, whom I do a lot of business; on the basis that it is way below 4 star.

AVOID this hotel if you can. There can't be any worse hospitality than the rudeness the Mayfair management has shown!

• Stayed October 2014, traveled on business
MayfairMgr, Manager at Mayfair Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, yesterday
Michael D. H,

After reading your review we would like to extend our apologies for the issues that you encountered and also would like to extend my help with anything related to your billing.

In relation to the staff, I don't know how you'd make such an assumption but fortunately it is not accurate. Our property is very well staffed and we take tremendous pride in the work that our staff does, it is truly unfortunate that you were not able to notice such.

Once again I am willing and able to assist you with any billing question that you might have and you contact me personally by calling the hotel.

Delray Beach, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We had heard that the hotel had undergone a major renovation. We had not been there in years and looked forward to staying there once again. Our problems started when we reserved two executive rooms and got a confirmation for one. Had to call again to get confirmation for 2nd room.

It was a beautiful Miami day and we decided to spend some time at the roof top pool upon our arrival. The only way to get some shade was to rent a cabana at that started at $75 for four hours. The first cabana we were assigned had a broken cocktail table. The second cabana had a tv that didn't work and it took 25 minutes to get the TV in the third cabana to work.

Two of us headed to the spa for messages and to relax in the sauna which is mentioned in their literature. The massages were fine but there was no sauna. In the locker areas the available combs and hairbrushes were not in any sanitary condition. They were filthy and there was not sanitizer available.

In one of the rooms which had a double sink, one of the hot water faucet did not work. WE CALLED TO HAVE THE JACUZZI FILLED SO WE COULD USE IT AFTER DINNER. (A $30 fee for the water). WE got back from dinner to find that more than half the water had leaked from the Jacuzzi and it could not be fixed until the next day which was of no use to us.

At 9:30 PM I called for some towels. They were delivered quite noisily at 11:30 PM. At around midnight there was a great deal of noise in the hall that lasted a while. I tried to call the front desk to ask for security to quiet them down and got an answering machine.

The following morning we did not get then wake up call we had requested. Upon checking out the charge for the Jacuzzi was still on the bill despite my being assured by the front desk that it was removed when I called the nite before.

Two day later our credit card showed a charge for over $51.00 from one of the rooms, I called the hotel to find out what this charge was for and was told the mini bar. That is blatantly untrue as we had brought down bottles of water that came with the cabana to avoid the outrageous mini bar charges. The billing clerk could not adjudicate the matter and promised to have the manager call me back that afternoon. It never happened.

Waited a couple of days. Called the hotel yesterday. The operator said she would have the manager call us back in approximately 15-20 minutes. No call back, Called again early afternoon and tracked the manager to the front desk. We asked if had a moment to discuss our experience at the hotel last week. He said he did and promptly put us thru to his voice mail. No call back.

Total lack of professionalism and no thought at all to customer service. If you go to this hitel Buyer Beware. Check Mini Bar before and after. Better yet think about staying someplace else.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled with family
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

This is a very unique hotel that has lots of nice touches! We had the pleasure of staying in one of the Mayfair Suites with a jacuzzi tub for 2 on our balcony! There is no doubt this is an upscale property with the rich finishes and amenities (like TV in the bathroom). However, some of the little things, like having to call room service (multiple times) and wait approximately 30 minutes just to get ice for our room!? Not very convenient. Also, Valet always seemed to be overwhelmed (understaffed) as we had to call at least 2 times (to get an answer) every time we needed our car. Also, had to wait for our car (despite calling from room and taking our time to get down) longer than we expected.

Overall, very impressed with the physical building, the cleanliness, layout of our room and the uniqueness, but probably would not choose to stay here again.

Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
MayfairMgr, Manager at Mayfair Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear MEknowshotels,

Thank you for taking the time to review us and we are very glad to read that our hotel exceeded your expectations.
We are however concerned that you had to call multiple times to get services that should be rather instant, we will definitely take a look at the steps being taken and see what can be done to avoid such an instances.
During fall and winter any property in Miami will have high rates due to this is the time where people flock our city and honestly our hotel is in the moderate price rate, we feel that we priced competitive with all the properties in our area and our guest don't really have to break the bank to stay with us and have a great time.
We would like to thank you once more for taking the time to share your opinion and hope that you continue to visit the great area of Coconut Grove.

Port of Spain, Trinidad
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

My husband and I were in Miami, Florida to experience Miami carnival. We have stayed in many 5-star hotels the world over and the Mayfair Hotel and Spa definitely falls into this category.
Upon arrival we were met by the valet who begun to take care of our parking needs and concierge, who handled our luggage immediately. The front desk, room service, Spartico restaurant staff and Hotel Manager were all extremely helpful and accommodated all our needs. All First Class!
The outdoor, spacious rooftop pool is absolutely stunning with gorgeous private cabanas and a very well stocked bar. We attended a Carnival party there which was unforgettable.
The hotel is beautifully designed and structured giving a Zen ambiance. There is an intimate and cozy feel to the Mayfair.
We stayed in a suite which was stunningly beautiful and spacious. Our suite was very comfortable in every possible way. Our king-sized bed was so comfortable, coupled with dark out blinds which allowed us a late lie in.
Our room was equipped with a work desk, 30” television, sofa and a beautiful hot-tub which just added to our wonderful experience.
Buffet breakfast at the stunning Spartico restaurant was absolutely delicious with great presentations and variety. You have a choice of dining in or outdoor beside the stunning water fountain.
The Mayfair is a couple footsteps away from the vibrant Coconut Grove Village. There are a variety of restaurants and outdoor cafes, clubs, bars, theatre and other lovely attractions. We enjoyed all of it!
For shopping enthusiasts, like myself, the hotel is located opposite the exquisite Cocowalk outdoor shopping mall.
The descriptions and photographs on the Mayfair Hotel and Spa website all give a true representation of the hotel.
We plan on returning to the Mayfair Hotel and Spa next year and highly recommend a stay here!
We would score this hotel a 5 out of 5.

Keep us the great work!

• Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Rach1004,

Thank you for taking the time to review us and we are extremely happy to read that you found our iconic hotel stunning.
We sincerely hope to have earned a loyal guest that will continue to join us whenever you visit our wonderful city.

Warm regards,
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

This Mayfair surprised by firstly by its architecture, all the detailed wood work, flowing water and bamboo gave such a Zen feeling. The room I stayed in was huge, almost twice the size of regular hotels. The king bed is like a gigantic pillow that swallow me up. The bathroom has his and her sinks and the lights are all dimmable to be adjusted in any manner possible for the most romantic setting. The balcony has a Japanese soaking bath. It seems like they thought of all the details like handless phones so you can walk about and talk on the phone. There is an iPod alarm clocks so you can play your own music and 42 inch flat screen TV on a swivel to move in any direction you want in the room. I had the opportunity to attend a party on the rooftop and it was one of the best Caribbean parties I ever attended, the staff was very friendly. The breakfast staff not only made me feel at home by remembered me on day 2 and pampered me in every way. I was also able to walk 2 minutes and pass into quaint stores of the cocoa mall and sit and eat for hours in small romantic restaurants serving the best of Miami Latin cuisine. Coconut grove was the place to be only 20 mins from the Miami International. I planned to stay only 1 night at first then changed and stayed 5 days. I would definitely stay at the Mayfair again. It’s now my go to hotel in Miami

Room Tip: keep away from the Atrium if you are light sleeper. The curtains are very thick and block light out...
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear taylorchooquan,

Thank you for taking the time to share with us about your recent visit to our Iconic hotel and we are thrilled to read that our property exceeded your expectations.
The mix of our great architecture and art with the location , makes our hotel and true oasis in the city and we are reminded everyday what joy it is to walk into this great property.
We sincerely hope to have earned a loyal guest that will continue to visit this great oasis in the city to enjoy all the great amenities our hotel has to offer.

Warm regards,
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

A charming and tranquil oasis in Miami's vibrant Coconut Grove neighborhood. An easy walk to wonderful restaurants just around the corner. Every detail made for a comfortable and pampered stay: luxurious bedding, spacious room with blackout shades; delicious breakfast with lovely fresh fruit, eggs, pastries and caffe latte. Especially loved the delightful Bali-meets-art deco interiors with lots of comfortable spaces to gather or just sit and chill. WiFi was a bit tricky but we found it worked fine after powering off our respective devices and then turning back on. We stayed in a Deluxe King Suite which had plenty of extra space for our U Miami student to stay with us on a rollaway bed (reported to be very comfortable). Our deck/patio was an interior which meant no view or sun but it was very quiet and dark with the blackout shades, which was exactly what we wanted for a restful stay.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled with family
Dear Beth B,

Thank you for taking the time to review us and we are delighted to know that you found our property to be a treasure.
Our entire staff works tirelessly to make sure that our guest feel warm and welcome, combined with the great architecture and extremely detailed woodwork all around our hotel makes our property an icon in the city of Miami.
We truly hope to have earned a loyal guest that will continue to visit our Iconic property in the days to come.

Director of Front Office

Been to Mayfair Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!