“Not the hotel we remebered” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Third Night Free!
Ranked #74 of 129 hotels in Miami
Longboat Key, Florida
“Not the hotel we remebered”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

We used to live in Miami and would visit the Mayfair when it was new. Beautiful then ...
We were excited to stay here in May for a group function, but were so disappointed at how the hotel has been allowed to go downhill.
The staff we encountered were very nice, the beds were comfortable, and the bathroom was clean, but ... for a king suite, we were very disappointed. We did fill in the comment card and left it at the front desk, but never heard anything back from them.
Our biggest problem was that the tile floors were filthy. Our feet were dirty from walking on them. And, there were black ants everywhere. We might have liked sitting on our patio, but there were no cushions on the furniture, it was very bleak and look like it had been abandoned.
We wished we had booked elsewhere.
There was also a couple staying down the hall from us with a dog. Every time anyone made a noise this little dog would start barking. Fortunately we were able to close off the bedroom and be far enough away we didn't hear it in the middle of the night.

Room Tip: If they do remodel, it could be charming, but ... our floors were SO dirty and the ants were so anno...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

72 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Miami, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW via mobile

I previously stayed here several times, and had my wedding here about 5 years ago and had a terrific experience, but it appears things have gone downhill.

My wife and I called the Mayfair - which is around the corner from my house - to get a room for a few nights. I spoke with Kevin, who answered when I called. We were looking for a last minute room because of issues with remodeling at our house. When I called, kevin stated that the room would be 129/night. This was about the price advertised on hotels.com. So I drove over, bags packed, to the mayfair to check in. When I went to check in, the front desk clerk told me that it was not 129/night, but 179. I explained that this was not what I was told, and they shouldn't be telling people that rate if they are not willing to honor it. The desk clerk wouldn't budge. I then asked if he would honor the hotels.com rate (131/night), in light of the situation. Again he said he would not. He said my choices were to either pay 179/night, or go elsewhere. I then asked the clerk if I could just book on my phone on hotels.com, and he said I could, but they wouldn't honor the reservation for at least two hours.

At the end of the day, I was looking to spend between 3-5 days at the hotel during renovations. I don't understand why you would purposefully turn away business, when we both know that the online fee, and the fee quoted on the phone, was available at the time. Maybe they were so busy on a Sunday-Wednesday in July that they can afford to turn down my business....but that's not how a business should run. If you run a fare, you should honor it. And as a former guest who has stayed here on several occasions I was extremely upset at how my wife and I were treated by the desk staff.

Needless to say, we left and stayed elsewhere. In light of this experience, unless the hotel changes hands, I'll never come back. And you shouldn't either.

Stayed July 2014
MayfairMgr, Manager at Mayfair Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 4 days ago
Dear stmarcus,

It is extremely concerning to hear that you were treated in such a manner and I will do the proper follow up to make up sure that such an event does not repeat itself.
I would like to also apologize for what I could imagine was a very frustrating time and hope that you could give us an opportunity to regain your confidence.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

The stay was a wonderful staycation for my husband and I. The rooms were quite spacious and very clean. Most important for me was that the bathroom was pristine. All of the staff was friendly and very accommodating to our needs. The romance package was well worth it.

• Stayed July 2014
MayfairMgr, Manager at Mayfair Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear Claudette E,

All of us here at the Mayfair hotel and Spa are extremely happy to read that you and your husband had a wonderful time in our Iconic property and we would like to thank you for sharing with all of us.
We sincerely hope to have you back in our property enjoying all of the great amenities that our property has to offer.

Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear jonbrender,

We are thrilled to read that you had a great time in our Iconic property and we hope to have you back in the near future.

Matteson
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Hotel was average, pictures are accurate, however they were probably taken at the time after construction. Hotel needs some TLC. For the price you pay I would recommend you stay downtown for a more lively area of Miami. Valet is fast, Spa is great, house keeping slow, TV went out and came back on, furniture is old, gym is small.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
MayfairMgr, Manager at Mayfair Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Dear Daryl S,

Thank you for taking the time to share with us about your recent visit to our Iconic property and we are extremely proud of hearing that our valet team was able to exceed your expectations. Our property has been an stable for the city of Coconut Grove and even though Downtown Miami has newer properties they all lack the character and exuberance that our property has possessed for thirty years.
We thank you for choosing for our property and we hope that you continue to visit the Magic city and enjoying all the great areas of the great city of Miami.

Jose Rico-Arango
Director of Front Office.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

My husband and I stayed at Mayfair in November 2013 for our honeymoon and loved the place! Our room was a great size for both of us and so close to everything! The beach was 20 minutes away! There were great restaurants within walking distance. The rooms were clean and the staff was friendly. The restaurant downstairs was a little pricey for us :D The wifi didn't work for some reason and was slow but we didn't stay at the hotel much as we were out most of the time. We have recommended this hotel to so many people and our friends are going there next month.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
MayfairMgr, Manager at Mayfair Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
Dear Aroon D,

We would like to thank you for choosing the Mayfair hotel and spa to celebrate such an special occasion and we are truly happy to hear that you loved it.
Since your visit in November we have made some adjustments to our WiFi and we are proud to say that it has been a very welcome changed. Our location has always been an amazing amenity that not many properties can claim and that's something that we want all of our guest to enjoy.
We sincerely hope to have made a loyal guest from you and your husband and we hope to have you stay back with us sometime in the near future.

Jose Rico-Arango
Director of Front Office.
Palm Beach Gardens, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

While the lobby and the public areas of this hotel are quite beautiful, this is a place that is in need of updating, repainting and a general sprucing up. The tile floor in our room didn't look clean and the balcony lacked any chairs. The foliage below the balcony should be neatened up. The room smelled musty. Personally, I would prefer carpeting in the room instead of the cold, hard tile. Also, the room we stayed in which they called a suite was really just a room with a balcony. I would definitely recommend not getting a room facing the street. Very noisy. On the plus side, the staff is very friendly and the breakfast buffet is excellent. I should mention that we used a Groupon so we didn't pay a lot compared to most Miami hotels. I guess you get what you pay for.

Stayed July 2014
Dear mgb-actor,

Thank you for taking the time to share with us about your recent visit to our property and for the very detail feedback. Our property went through a renovation three years ago, where all of our suites and our common areas were remodeled. This past winter we did the all the landscaping for our property, where we removed old plants and trees and planted all new plants beautifying our balconies and common areas. And to finish this summer we will be remodeling our elevators and the furniture in our balconies, bringing back all the great charm our property has been known for.
We sincerely hope to have an opportunity to have you back in our property by the time all of these new arrangements have been completed, enjoying the true Mayfair experience.

Warm regards,
Director of Front Office

Been to Mayfair Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!