“Nice place to stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #75 of 131 hotels in Miami
Norfolk, Virginia
“Nice place to stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

Nice place to stay. Staff is very welcoming and attentive. This was my 2nd stay at the hotel - first time business, now pleasure. The area in coconut grove is central and very convenient.

Andrea at the front desk was amazing, she helped out tremendously with restaurants, activities and general information on what to do and where to go.

Our room was nice, but there was construction on the streets outside the hotel so do not plan on sleeping in, the noise is quite robust. The room i had on my 1st visit was much bigger and spacious...during my reservation I was told it would be the same. This room although it had everything was cramped and quite small. Bed and linens were clean and comfortable, bathroom is spacious.

The pool located on the roof of the building is great, good drinks, nice food and towels provided so you do not have to bring them from your room.

Overall the hotel is very nice, with friendly staff and comfortable rooms. We used the valet parking which is a bit more expensive than the parking garage directly across the street from the hotel, but you pay for the convenience.

I would stay again if i made sure the room was bigger.

Room Tip: Hot water takes a little bit to get going, give it some time...it'll come.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
MayfairMgr, Manager at Mayfair Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, October 29, 2013
Dear VisitingfromVA,

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your recent stay in our property and we are thrilled to hear from our repeat guest.
Our staff aims to make our guest feel warm and welcome and I am very happy to read that Andrea went above and beyond in providing great customer service.
We hope to see you soon back in our iconic property and enjoying all the great amenities our property and the Coconut Grove area has to offer.

946 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

It was my first time in Florida. I always heard about how great of a town Coconut Grove was, so we decided to stay at the Mayfair. WAO. What a beautiful place. The rooms are definitely not your usual hotel room. They are spacious, well decorated, clean. And the service is top notch. I highly recommend this place. Can't wait to go back.
MF16

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
MayfairMgr, Manager at Mayfair Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, October 27, 2013
Dear Tisusa02,

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your recent stay in our property and we are thrilled to hear that you were able to enjoy yourself thoroughly. We sincerely hope to have you back in our Iconic property really soon, enjoying the great amenities and weather our great city has to offer.

Westlake Village CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

When I first arrived at the hotel the first thing I saw was a beautiful wood carved door at the entrance. The rest of the hotel was done in a very beautiful fashion, with lighting and foliage that made the atmosphere delightful. The room was very large, with a beautiful bathroom. the only thing I would recommend is making it easier to get in and out of the tub. anyone with balance issues would have had trouble even using the grab bars. The room I was in was located by a street, and I did hear people taking rather loudly at 2AM which woke me up. I think they were in a parking garage and the echo was loud. I ate at the Italian restaurant in the lobby and the bread and the spinach ricotta gnocchi were delicious. there were only 4 (or was it 6?), but they were huge and very filling. Not like the usual small gnocchi pieces you probably have eaten. I also used the gym, which was a small room with a large TV, 2 kinds of exercise bikes. treadmills and other machines. there was cold water and towels as well. The location is perfect. You can walk out the door, cross the street, and walk around or eat in Coco Walk. there is a Starbucks in that mall for coffee if you need your morning jolt. Overall I was sad to check out after only 2 days.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
MayfairMgr, Manager at Mayfair Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Dear mom2twoboys44,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share with us about your recent stay in our property, we are thrilled to hear that you had an enjoyable stay and we would love to have you back in our property again.
We can not tell you how rewarding it is to have our guest appreciate the great small details that our iconic property offers, from the Mahogany wood door created in Guatemala, to the copper sculptures, our property if filled with great details that makes us like no other property and as you could tell, we are extremely proud of.
Once again thank you so much for the great words and we sincerely hope to see you again.

Jacksonville, Florida, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

We stayed at the Mayfair Hotel and Spa during the week of October 14, 2013 for three evenings. This was our first stay at Mayfair and we were provided with a room on the 4th floor. The room was spacious and included a balcony with a hot tub and daybed overlooking Grand Avenue. Upon entering the room, we noticed that the room was extremely humid and had a distinct smell of mold. We turned on the A/C to cool the room down and reduce the smell but it did not help. The balcony was noisy from construction work and smelled of asphalt roofing. The daybed was gray from excessive dust and had a numerous stains from prior guests that I cannot mention in detail. The bed was comfortable and after sleeping in this room the first evening, I began to sneeze and my eyes were watering from the mold in the air. We also noticed the bottoms of our feet had turned black from walking on the bare floors. We brought these issues to the attention of the front desk the following morning and they immediately made arrangements to have us relocated to another room. The front desk was very understanding and apologetic for the occurrence. No adjustment to the cost of our stay was discussed or offered by the Mayfair management.

Upon our return to the hotel later in the day, our second room was available and our bags had been relocated by the hotel staff. The second room was a handicap accessible room and much larger than the first and included an elevated hot tub within the room. The room did not have a balcony as did the first, but due to the construction underway outside the hotel, it was just as well. The room overlooked Virginia St and the east side of the CocoWalk complex. The room smelled much better than the first room and my sneezing and watery eyes had diminished. The floors were also quite filthy as experienced in the first room and we had to wash our feet several times prior to dressing. The tile in the showers were also moldy and needed further cleaning. The entry door to the room was missing the security hasp. Due to the construction in progress, water service to the hotel was intermittent throughout our stay. This also impacted the availability of hot water to our room and forced us to take cold showers during the early morning and late evening hours. The front desk was sympathetic to the situation but after repeated conversations with them, it was obvious the unforeseen circumstances imposed upon the hotel by the City of Miami were beyond their control and ability to manage. Again, no adjustment to the cost of our stay was discussed or offered by the Mayfair management.

Upon check-out, we discussed the dissatisfaction of our stay with the front desk, including photographs we had taken of the bottom of our feet from walking on the hotel floors. We asked if the hotel would adjust the bill for our stay due to all the inconveniences we had experienced. The front desk offered to comp us a breakfast for two, but stated they were unable to provide us any form of adjustment since we had booked our stay through a third party. Lesson learned for future reservations.

The Mayfair Hotel and Spa needs to re-evaluate their approach to hotel management, room maintenance and in promotion for future stays. Although this hotel excels at offering a sympathetic ear, I strongly feel much more could have been done to encourage us to return to the Mayfair for a future stay in Miami. After reading this unbiased review, it will serve as confirmation that the review posted by “Charles033” on TripAdvisor is based upon real circumstances and not “assumptions” or ”opinion” as posted by the Front Desk Manager.

Room Tip: Parking is $27 per day by Valet. Rooms on the west side are adjacent to CocoWalk and late evening ni...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Raymond R,

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your recent stay in our property and we really can't thank you enough for your understanding in relation to the issues you encountered. Our sympathy towards our guest is the least that could be provided during times when situations are out of our hands and I am glad to hear that our staff was up to the task, in relation to compensation there's so much that could be offered specially if the hotel is a affected just as our guest were.
We sincerely hope to see you sometime in the near future back in our iconic property, once the city is done with their improvement to this great area and you will be able to experience the real Mayfair Hospitality.

sturbridge
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

I have stayed here twice but probably will not go back. I had a reservation for a room with 2 double beds and when we got there they gave us a king. They said if I could prove that the reservation was for 2 doubles that they would work with us. It just so happened that I did have the paper with me that stated the reservation was for 2 doubles but then they said they could not do anything as they were sold out. They then offered us a cot for an additional fee of $30. I was not going to pay for their mistake. My daughter would have stayed with us for a couple of days but was not able to because of their error.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear Sizz2828,

Thank you for taking the time to share with us about your recent stay and it is really disappointing to hear about the issue with your reservation, I could tell you that our staff is usually very good at providing the bedding needed if the occupancy of the hotel is not very high, however as I read we were fully committed which at that point they really could not get you in that room.
I sincerely hope that you could give us an opportunity to regain your confidence sometime in the near future, as we would to show you the real Mayfair experience.

Kingston, Jamaica
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

This once lovely property in Coconut Grove Miami is now a first class dump! The hotel is shabby and the floors of the balconies are positively filthy. Its very saddening to see a once lovely property now in this sad state of disrepair and shabby appearance. When I checked in they were having water issues with the city of Miami but nobody said anything, so we had hardly any water for two days, not that this was the hotels fault directly but they should have warned new guests The balconies are so dirty and when I told the front desk it was as if they knew but did nothing about it. The place obviously is in bad financial shape hence the poor quality of service. I had no remote although a working one was sent up, the hairdryer was also not working and the list goes on and on.This place is to be avoided at all costs. The only plus is that room service is good and quick. BUT stay away, its no longer worth going to unless you want [---] away from home.

Room Tip: The deluxe suites are really Jr. suites as it is not two rooms, has a silly hot tub on a filthy balc...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
MayfairMgr, Manager at Mayfair Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, October 20, 2013
Charles003,

We at the Iconic Mayfair hotel and Spa welcome all the feedback that our great guest provided and we are thankful for it. However when the review is a collection of assumptions instead of the actual experience it is very difficult to take anything from it.
Our entire staff aims to make our guest feel warm and welcomed and each department has its way of doing that, unfortunately at times issues that can not be control blind our guest from the service they receive and the focus is only on that issue that nothing can be done about it.
As you mentioned the water was an issue that the city was working on and nothing could be done about that, all of our guest received a letter making them aware of the stoppage of water for 36 hours and they were provided with passes for the spa to be able to freshen up, the balconies have been exposed to city work again, since the city of Coconut Grove is working on the surrounding sidewalks, however if our guest request our housekeeping department is available 24 hours a day to assist with any cleaning inquire, request or demand.
We are extremely proud of our iconic property and it is a shame that you feel like you do but everyone is entitle to their opinion, fortunately that's what it is, an opinion and not the actual facts.

Regards,
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

Our wedding was a dream come true thanks to Matilde (wedding coordinator), Dario (head chef) & the rest of the staff. In particular, Matilde was very patient, responsive and executed every detail of our wedding as if I had done it myself.

The venue was perfect - a vaulted glass atrium that gave us an outdoor ceremony without risking actually being outdoors (rain). A wonderful room for our cocktail hour and a grand ballroom with a gorgeous showstopper of a chandelier. Everything flowed like a dream, thanks to Matilde.

My husband and I could not be more pleased and our guests have given us phenomenal feedback along the lines of "classiest wedding I've ever attended", "best wedding food I've ever had - felt like a high end restaurant", "your wedding coordinator was SO professional - I have never seen a wedding run so smoothly", etc, etc.

Thank you, thank you, thank you for beautiful memories that will last a lifetime.

Room Tip: try not to get a room that is on the street side on a friday or saturday night OR wear ear plugs to...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
MayfairMgr, Manager at Mayfair Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Dear Pscheer,

First of all congratulations and from our entire staff we wish you nothing but health and happiness; it is greatly appreciated the fact that you took the time to share with us the experience in our Iconic property.
We are extremely pleased to hear that our staff was able to meet and perhaps surpass your expectations as well as your guest's expectations, and I know that Matilde and Dario aimed for such.
We sincerely hope to have you back in our great property sometime in the near future and we can not wait to once again delight you.

Director of Front Office

Been to Mayfair Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!