“Mayfair OVERRATED” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #74 of 131 hotels in Miami
Woodbridge, Virginia
“Mayfair OVERRATED”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

My experience staying at the Mayfair was horrifying. When I first arrived I was told I would have to wait 45 mins. until my room was ready. When I got the (2) rooms, the bathroom sink was not working in BOTH rooms, The livingroom T.V. was not working, and most disgusting of all there were a bug in the bathtub.The 4:00 pm mangement was horrible he was not accommodating at all!! the roof top manager lied to me and said I did not have a reservation for the roop top. This hotel is OVERRATED. The Mayfair need to consider better management.

Room Tip: I do not refer any room at the Mayfair!!!!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
MayfairMgr, Manager at Mayfair Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
Dear B J,

It is truly disappointing to hear that you were not able to enjoy your time in our property, however I do want to thank you for taking the time to share with us the issues that you did not appreciated.
Our Check In time is guarantee at 4:00 p.m. if you arrived prior to that time it is unfortunate but if the hotel was busy the night before it is very difficult to have rooms available before that guarantee check in time and we make all of our guest aware of that at the time when they are making the reservation. In relation to the sinks of the rooms not working, we make sure before getting a guest into any of our rooms that all of the systems are working property but having a sink fix is just a matter of minutes we do apologize for you have to deal with that but once again that's something common in hotels that is fix really fast.
Our pool has a very detail oriented reservations system for the Cabanas and I am quite sure that the pool manager had no intentions to lie to you, probably your name was not put tin correctly and for that we are truly sorry.
Once again I want to thank for the feedback and you could rest assure that we take all the comments into consideration and make the proper adjustments to make sure that we don't have any repeating issue for all our future guest.

949 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
Boynton Beach, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

Just returned from a weekend at the Mayfair. We have stayed here before and was extremely pleased. It is a pet friendly hotel and thus allowed to bring our Polish Lowland Sheepdog with us.
The hotel has undergone renovations and it appears the the balance of the building is now being renovated. The service was attentive. The breakfast menu was diverse along with a buffet. In some cases it was moe economical to have the buffet than to order ala carte. Our waiter pointed this out to us and we thanked him for being honest rather than " running up the bill".
The service at the bar at the roof top pool was outstanding.
The Mayfair's location is close to the area's restaurants.
Very good, but not as great as it once was.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Dear imshepp,

It is truly great to hear from one of our loyal repeat guest and we want to thank you for continue to choose our property to enjoy some time off your regular day to day. I want to also thank you for taking the time to share with us about your most recent stay and we are always glad to hear that our staff is praised because of the great service they provide.
We are continuing to improve our property with work outside the hotel and inside by modernizing our elevators and making our flora and fauna inside the property really lively and as we continue to improve our property we would love to continue having you stay with us in the near future.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

Our experience at Mayfair was very good: the building is certainly not new, but has an authentic feeling to it, with interesting architecture. The rooftop is very pleasant -- we did not use the pool, but were very much able to relax there in late afternoon, contrary to a previous review (they could, however, turn down the bar music before the evening crowd comes).

Our room was spacious, with a great bathroom. We had a small balcony and a hot tub (which we did not use). All perfectly clean and on par with what you'd expect from a hotel of similar standing. Great, comfy bed and furniture.

We really had no issue during our stay: the hotel does host wedding receptions, but we were not bothered by after-parties and such. The gym is small, but with adequate equipment. Also, the hotel offers valet parking, but we decided to use the CocoWalk parking ourselves, which was user friendly and much less expensive.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear orely01fr,

Thank you for taking the time to share with us about your recent stay in our property, and we really appreciated the kind words.
As you mentioned our property is not a newer construction but that exact point is what gives our property the great character it has, all the art within the construction puts our property apart from most of the other hotels in the area and Miami overall and when someone discovers it like you did it truly makes us proud.
I sincerely hope that we could get to see you in our property and enjoying all of our great amenities again really soon.

Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

My first trip to Miami and it was a huge deal to find the right hotel to stay. Boy was I overjoyed and pleased with my decision to stay at the Mayfair Hotel and Spa!!! This property was above my expectations and my expectations are already high. Ideal spot in Coconut Grove, only 15 minutes from South Beach, 7 minutes from the airport. The Mayfair is stunning in it's interior architecture, the staff is on point and ready to assist whenever needed as was security (Richard) to make certain that my stay was all that I expected. Directly across the street is the CoCoWalk, which provides restaurants and shopping for a leisurely escape. The location of the Mayfair is ideal because the neighborhood it is located in is very accessible to walk around to unique shops and local dining and an eclectic atmosphere, which is very refreshing. The hotel itself has a type of tropical oasis feel to it and is highlighted by the fact that there is no roof on a section of the hotel. Yes, that may give a humid feel when walking to the elevator but the view is beautiful and feeling of an oasis is even better. The A/C system in the room works very well and there was never an uncomfortable feeling. The rooftop pool is very laid back and refreshing and the hotel hosts a happy hour weekly and make sure that you are well taken care of.

I arrived after midnight, valet was present and prepared to provide service for my vehicle. My check-in was prompt and very courteous; although we were assigned to an already occupied room, security was on the floor and resolved the issue with a simple phone call and escorted me to my room expeditiously and returned with my key cards within minutes. He walked me into my room and made certain that we were not assigned another occupied room and made sure that we were pleased before he left. Though late, it was no problem to take a quick stroll throughout the hotel and check out everything. Ran into Richard again and he answered our questions and pointed out other areas of interest to let us know where everything was. My room was amazing, spacious and very clean and quiet and the hot tub on my patio deck was a welcomed treat!!

This hotel is simply beautiful and the staff is very friendly and go out of their way to may sure your stay is pleasurable. I would highly suggest this location to anyone going to Miami and want to treat themselves to a stellar location or professionalism. I am already making plans to return to Miami next year and I highly intend on choosing the Mayfair for my stay again.

Thank you Mayfair and staff for a job well done!!!

Room Tip: 4th floor rooms are the best!!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Dear LivingSassy,

Thank you for taking the time to share with us about your recent stay in our great property and we are thrilled to hear that you we were able to exceed to expectations. Choosing a place to celebrate an special occasion is always a little bit tricky due to the high expectations but we are truly happy to hear that your special occasion was greatly celebrated.
We sincerely hope that we could get to see you back in our iconic property really soon and once again thank you for choosing our property.

Road Town, Tortola
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

We recently stayed at the Mayfair in Coconut Grove on a recommendation from friends and we really loved it. It was excellent value for money, you can't beat the location and the staff were so nice. We ate out every night as there are loads of bars and restaurants in walking distance. Its great to be able to potter round Coconut Grove in the evenings, especially if you have been busy with day time excursions.

Free wifi in the rooms and we had fun with our Japanese soaking tub on the balcony. The roof terrace and pool bar is nice, although I can imagine it can get a little crowded if busy.

Downsides, the worlds slowest glass elevator in Miami with no AC, who thought that was a good idea?! And we had to call for ice from reception rather than being able to get it ourselves, meaning we felt compelled to give a tip every time. Not the end of the word but a bit annoying.

I used the gym whilst I was there, it was small and not exciting, although, its a hotel gym, I have seen much worse. It enabled me to get a work out in rather than pounding the streets in the humidity.

We would go back here next time we go to Miami in a flash!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
MayfairMgr, Manager at Mayfair Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
Dear Chester8081,

Thank you for taking the time to share with us about your recent stay in our property and we are very happy to hear that you enjoyed yourself plenty. Our staff is always looking to make our guest feel warm and welcome and our location is a great amenity to offer.
Our elevators are a bit slower than your regular elevators due to the fact that we want our guest to be able to enjoy the great view of our Asian Garden, however during the summer days it could get a bit hot and we thank you for not letting such a small detail bother you. In relation to the ice, our idea is, Why have the guest wonder endlessly around the hotel looking for the ice machine when we could have it delivered? and I could guarantee you that you won't offend any of our staff by not tipping for having ice deliver, its their pleasure.
I sincerely hope to have the pleasure of having you in our property really soon as one of our loyal repeat guest.

Barbados
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

As I came on this evening to write my review, I see that the last five or six reviewers had similar feelings towards this hotel as I did. To be honest, I cannot think of a hotel experience in all my years worse than the Mayfair. Regretably, my email to management went unanswered and I see that the responses they are giving on Trip Advisor seem to try and highlight the few positive bits and ignore the fact that they are consistently letting guests down. I think the owners of this hotel need to seriously look at the General Manager and Jose and try again....not like this will help the overall structural problems with the building....I think it just needs to be knocked down. Guests should try the Sonesta Bayfront; more modest finishes, but at least you have the light of day in your room.

Let me start with the positives:
- Location
- Website and Booking were a good experience.
- Beds, Bathrooms, A/C's, Room in general was comfortable
- Ladies at reception were very pleasant
- Spa was excellent (wish the rest of the hotel had this look and feel)
- Restaurant staff mean well. Lunch was nice. Breakfast SLOW.....

Where does it go wrong?
- The hotel is built like a cave with very little natural light. My room had NO WINDOWS, in fact, most do not, only a few select corner rooms.
- Even the patio is dark and gloomy, like being in an alleyway, a bit of Sky a few stories up, but that's it.
- Gym in the basement, no windows
- Restaurant, very small. Barely enough room for guests. For a 4 night stay you'd like a little variety for meals, but this is it...breakfast, lunch and dinner. I'm assuming they don't expect you to eat much in the hotel.
- Rooftop pool. I arrived on a Sunday and would have liked to go and RELAX by the pool, but the hotel hosts a pool bash/party which is maybe OK for high school or college students.
- Upon arrival there was also a large wedding taking place with sound system which could be heard word for word in your room. No were to go to escape the wedding in one location and the pool party in another. Not great for someone off a plane looking to decompress.
- After Dinner (off property) we opted to come back and try to have a drink by the pool AFTER the party and it was closed already (9 pm) because it was 'slow'. the only place outdoors in the whole hotel really to relax. Disappointing.

Summary- I left early and was charged about $600 for one night stay.

Don't let the shiny pictures on the website trick you, if you could see an arial picture of this hotel you'd realize it is a 4 star prison.

Room Tip: If you can sleep in a building without windows, the rooms are fine. Personally I couldn't breath...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Dear IslanderGirl,

Thank you for taking the time to share with us about your recent stay in our property and we are glad to hear that there were some areas of the hotel that you were able to enjoy, in concern to the the rest it appears that you were looking for a newly constructed property, that we are not. We are however a great property with lots of character that is not your typical cookie cutter hotel and for many people that is very satisfying.
We thank you for all the feedback that you provided and we will definitely look into how we can make improvements for all of our future guest.

Charleston, SC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

I'm writing an honest review here; I was a real guest for 4 days at the Mayfair during August 2013. To be totally honest, my experience here was very good. I really don't see how people are leaving negative reviews about trivial issues i.e. slow or jerky elevator rides, dark elevator buttons, bad service, ect

The hotel is very nice looking with lots of charm and details other hotels just don't have. My check in and check out was fast and pleasant. Staff at the desk were very friendly and patient; I didn't use valet but they were welcoming; workers from the restaurant made me feel welcome too. I couldn't find the gym until staff pointed me in the right direction; he was very friendly. And the gym was clean and comfortable. Every staff member smiled and was helpful.

I booked the cheapest room and I was very pleased with my room. Overall, the room was clean and the bed was comfortable. But the room is the only place where I feel the need to rate the Mayfair 4 instead of 5 stars. There were hand prints on the ceiling accompanied with a few black swirl marks (caused by bad guests I'm sure // not the hotel's fault). I would've like to have seen this cleaned up. Also a stain or splatter on one of the decorative pillows placed on the bed (use your imagination) I could've done without. Again, an issue caused by a bad guest. My room did not have the smoke of mold smell people on Trip Advisor have complained about.

There is some noise that can be heard in the hallways like doors closing, high heels walking around the floor above, car horns and an a rare siren from outside. Parking by valet is expensive but once you realize the cost of parking in surrounding garages, $30 won't seem so bad. I was paying $24/day. Pizza from Spartico good/average.

I didn't experience the bad service or smells or anything like that. Hope my review helps you decide where you'll stay. Cheers

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Ken A,

Thank you for taking the time to share with us about your recent stay and we are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your time in our property. Our goal is to make all of our guest feel warm and welcome and it appears that we accomplished that, we are always looking to make adjustments to improve our overall service and the feedback is always welcome.
I sincerely hope that we could get to see you back in our great property really soon and once again thank you for choosing the Mayfair Hotel and Spa.

Assistant Director of Front Office

Been to Mayfair Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!