“I found the service to be excellent” 4 of 5 stars

Mayfair Hotel & Spa
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3000 Florida Ave., Coconut Grove, Miami, FL 33133   |
Ranked #74 of 131 hotels in Miami
Toronto, Canada
“I found the service to be excellent”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

Contrary to other reviewers, I was pleased with the service. My stay was not perfect inasmuch as when I went to the room just prior to checkout the lock would not open. I went to the front desk for help, and while one of the front desk staff reprogrammed my key card the other was on the phone to the engineering department. It turned out to be a mechanical failure with the lock which required that the lock be completely disassembled, and even then the door had to be forced open. But the first maintenance guy was at the door within a minute or two and very quickly there were three or four maintenance guys on the case.

Throughout the stay I found all of the staff to be super-friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: I opted for a room with a "patio", but was disappointed to find that the patio was mostly...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
MayfairMgr, Manager at Mayfair Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Dear keith b,

Thank you for taking the time and sharing your past experience here with us at the Mayfair hotel and spa, and we truly appreciate your understanding when it came to the lock of your door.

Actually we are in the process of upgrading all of the locks in our property to provide a better service when it comes to keys not demagnetizing which is such a waste of time for our guest to have to go through but also to increase security and the peace of mind of all of our guest.

Once again thank you very much and we hope to have staying back with us really soon.

Warms regards,

950 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013 via mobile

I was in the Hotel last month with my wife and I didn't expect to much really, but my stay was 5 start, the place look old but is the style romm super clean nice bath, comfortable bed. The staff really friendly. Thanks to the housekeeping managers for takecare all my request. Thanks to my wife for take me there will be back

• Stayed March 2013
MayfairMgr, Manager at Mayfair Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, April 20, 2013
Dear jhkmdq,

Thank you for taking the time to share with us about your past experience in our property, I am delighted to hear that our staff was polite and glad that our managers were making sure everything was up to part.

I sincerely hope to have you back very soon at our iconic property.

Warm Regards,
Seminole, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

Jennifer Hammer, Catering Manager, is excellent, and our Sunday brunch following our daughter's wedding in the area was generous, tasty, and well-done. The reservations staff turned over at least 3 times in the 15 months we've been dealing with this hotel, and the front desk staff was terrible, inexperienced and rude. Staff, other than Jennifer, seldom returned phone calls and were never very helpful. For our 5-day stay, our room was rarely cleaned before 5pm, the lighting repair we requested was never done, we seldom had enough towels, and one time the ones delivered were filthy! When we went up to the pool, they were out of towels as well. The Mayfair is a lovely facility, but "the Mayfair experience" was extremely poor.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear Pat D,

I want to thank you for taking the time and sharing with us your experience and also apologize for the fact that your experience was not up to your expectations.

I would like to share with you that we are taking the necessary steps to make sure that our staff provides the service that it is expected out of our iconic property. We are focusing in training and hiring the right kind of customer service people but most important we are making sure that our staff relates with our guest and that is where hiring and training acts the best.

I sincerely hope that you could give us another opportunity to show you the right Mayfair Experience.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013 via mobile

Good rooftop pool and nice sized rooms with good space for storage. The atrium though pretty was humid and stuffy as no air was moving some of the interior atrium walls could use a power washing but the hotel was clean The is no inside air conditioned place to meet or relax only the atrium which though covered is outdoors and can get very uncomfortable not to mention the effect on ones hair(this is hearsay as was told by my wife since my hair hasn't been around to be effected in years )

• Stayed April 2013
MayfairMgr, Manager at Mayfair Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Dear Travelingbonedoc,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at our property, it is so nice to hear that you enjoyed our roof top and glad that you noticed that our rooms are not your typical Miami hotel rooms and we are extremely proud of that.

The courtyard is another of the features that our iconic property offers that you will not find in many of the hotels in Miami (if you could find two that's too many) but once the summer starts to turn the corner our courtyard becomes less popular due to the weather the city of Miami throws at you... But I tell you during the winter months you will pressed to find a more picturesque courtyard in the City of Miami.

Once again we are thrilled to hear that you had a good stay here with us and we certainly hope to see you again.

Pompano Beach, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

when booking the room we were told early check in on a Sunday afternoon would not be a problem we explained we would have a pet with us and would need to get in a room ASAP WE HAD OT BE AT A WEDDING at 5pm . when we arrived we were told they do not guarantee early check in and would not be able to get into the 2 bedroom suite we booked till 4 pm the clerk was rude at best !! after waiting for an hour till around 230 pm we decided to see if we could get 2 separate rooms and were told yes but that there might be a problem with the charges because we booked a 2 room suite again the clerk has no customer service skills at all after getting in the room we found the tile floors cracked all the way across the floor and the wicker baskets to be full of dirt and not sure what else these are used to hold wash cloths in the rest room the floors were dirty. when on the elevator looking out over the courtyard the overhangs look like they have never been cleaned. I spoke to a manager who was no help at all needless to say we will not be staying at the mairfair again in the near future. on a good note the valet Shawn WAS THE ONLY PERSON WE CAME ACROSS THAT HAD ANY CUSTOMER SERVICE SKILLS AT ALL

Room Tip: find another hotel perhaps the Marriot courtyard
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
MayfairMgr, Manager at Mayfair Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Dear 2stevec2,

Thank you for taking the time and sharing your experience at our property, I would like to express my sincere apologies for the fact that the early arrival was not available but our hotel hostess many weddings and company groups specially on the weekends which makes it very difficult to provide early arrivals, specially on the type of suite that you booked. We are making sure that all of our staff informs our guest of these scenarios to make them aware due to the large numbers of early arrival request that we received.

We are also having our staff retrained to guarantee the customer service that is expected in our iconic property by our great guest. I would like to express how deeply concern we are to hear about the cleanliness of your suite, we are making it one of our biggest focus points to make sure that our housekeeping team meets and exceeds our guest expectations.

I sincerely hope that we could get a change to regain your confidence by allowing us to show you the great service that we provide at our property.

Palm Coast, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

This is the second time I have stayed at this hotel, with the same results. The property is gorgeous, and the rooms very nice. But the front desk service and the bar service in the restaurant is absolutely horrible. The staff is the rudest group of people I have ever come across in my extensive travels. The only friendly service was on the rooftop bar - they were superb.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
MayfairMgr, Manager at Mayfair Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share with us your past experience in our property and please know that we are extremely concern to hear that our staff was not up to your expectations when it came to the customer service that they provided.

We are focusing on this aspect by having our staff trained to make sure that we provide the outstanding customer service all of our guest deserve, specially our returned guest like yourself.

We sincerely hope that you could give us an opportunity to regain your confidence by staying in our great property once more.

florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

NICE! Overall the hotel is not that bad. It's unique in it's design and the rooms are spacious, but when you have a staff that is not willing to be helpful or even polite it kind of spoils the whole experience. My friend and I were there to stay for a wedding weekend. The staff at the front desk were somewhat helpful at checkin, but still acted like we were bothering them. On Saturday afternoon we decided to go to the bar to wait for the ride to the wedding. We were looking forward to a cold drink...what we got was IGNORED. I mean we sat at the bar, then stood at the bar and multiple staff members passed us, talked around us and didn't even acknowledge we were there. It was sad to see that customer service is not an important part of this hotel. I would like to compliment the young man at the roof top pool and the bar tender at the pool, maybe it's the fresh air that purifies there rudeness...I don't know, but at least they were on top of things and treated us like the guests that we were. Back to the rooms...the air conditioning gets cold, which is a plus in Miami. The bathroom, however, is a bit strange. The shower has no door and you have to climb into the deep tub to turn the shower on. Also there was only one outlet in the bathroom, which makes it difficult for two girls to get ready. They did put a phone and TV in the bathroom...oh and the coffee pot, which you would have to move to the other room to use...since there is no where to plug it in; the outlet is high on the wall. Our room was on the 5th floor and faced the comedy club below, therefore there was noise into the wee hours of the morning. Also I believe some of the noise came from those celebrating on their balconies. This I can overlook since must are there for celebrating and having fun.

All in all, if you can find a better place to stay, I would suggest you do.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience at our property.

It is really concerning to hear from a guest that they felt like they were bothering the staff and for that we are terribly sorry. We pride ourselves in our ability to make our guest feel warm and welcome when they arrived to our property but unfortunately this was not case. However I do want to express to you that we are making a sincere effort into not having this repeat itself, we are providing our staff with the proper customer service training to make our guest feel warm and welcome.

I hope that you could give us another chance to prove to you that our staff knows how to make you feel at home.

Jose Rico-Arango
Assistant Director of Front Office.

Been to Mayfair Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!