“aging hotel, subpar service” 2 of 5 stars

Mayfair Hotel & Spa
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3000 Florida Ave., Coconut Grove, Miami, FL 33133   |
Ranked #75 of 131 hotels in Miami
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“aging hotel, subpar service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

The Mayfair was the chosen hotel for a wedding over a weekend in February 2013. There were multiple ways in which they simply fell short of expectations. First off, the hotel is nice but its age is starting to show. The elevator is old and loud is really slow as it stops on a floor. The decor just seems sort aging. It just did not look as great in person as it did in the online pictures. The rooms are certainly spacious and pretty but we had a few major issues. First, the light in the bathroom has dimmer switch that when I turned it up, it SHOCKED me and sparked and burnt out. The front desk sent someone up to fix it and they did but were not very apologetic about what it did to me. When we got back form dinner and were going to go to bed, we noticed that the thermostat had shot back up to 72. For some reason, it would not stay down at the temperature we set it at and felt really humid. Again we called to get this fixed and they sent someone up who deemed that thermostat needed to be replaced but could not do that evening and there were no free rooms. We were told to tough it out. If I was not 7 months pregnant this might be fine but I get so hot at night that I knew the humidity would bother me. Only after my husband called down to remind them that this is the second issue we've had did they seem apologetic. An hour or so later as we were going to sleep we were told that there was another room and were moved there. The last straw is that when we checked out, they were not able to give us the itemized bill. The front desk person said that was an accounting issue and that he would have to reach out to them and get back to me! It was so strange. I got the $600 charge on my credit card that day but was not able to even know the total when we left. They just do not have their act together and in my opinion this place is extremely over priced for what you get.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

946 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
Jacksonville, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

Took our daughter and 3 friends for a birthday trip. Stayed in a 2 bedroom suite. The hotel property is very well situated in Coconut Grove, within walking distance to wonderful shops and restaurants. The suite was perfect for what we were looking for. Nice, but not extravagant. Very large, which was perfect as there were 6 of us staying together. Spent the extra $30 for the soaking tub on the patio, which was worth it for the kids. The hotel room was very expensive though and would NEVER recommend this place due to lack of customer service or just plain service.

Should have known we were in for trouble prior to our arrival as multiple phone conversations were very troubling. Called several times prior to arrival to ensure we could check in prior to 4 pm. During the phone calls, we were put on hold, hung up on, transfered all around the hotel and became flabergasted at how difficult it was to make a simple request. Arrived at 2 p.m. and room wasn't ready. We were given our keys at 4:45 p.m. Manager finally told us the previous group didn't check out until we arrived, however our room wasn't prioritized for cleaning and they really didn't care. Spent the time at the pool deck. Area is lovely, pool is somewhat small. Towels were disgusting, ragged, small, thin, stained. Even after they brought new ones, they were still gross.

We had made dinner reservations at Spartico, the restaurant on site. We thought it would be the simplest thing to do with the 4 girls. Again, had called the restaurant several times to discuss birthday arrangements and hung up because of excessive wait times or got disconnected when transferred multiple times. First dissapointment was when we asked if we could bring in a special cake from favorite bakery. Not only were we told absolutely not, but they wouldn't discuss any special arrangements for the celebration. We told them we'd bring a cake and eat it in our room. Dinner was actually pretty tasty. HOWEVER, after the fiasco's with phone calls, the restaurant not only served our daughter a cake (without discusssing with us), but had the nerve to then charge us $45 - even though we didn't want it and had a good cake in our room. VERY expensive dinner, and although food was good, was not as good as it cost.

No coffee maker in room. Husband went down to restaurant to get coffee in the am. Received tiny cup. Asked for a glass of ice as there are no ice makers on property and you have to call room service to receive some. They wouldn't give him any and said they would have it delivered to room. After 45 minutes I went back down. Front desk said it wasn't their problem to talk with restaurant. Restaurant laughed and gave me a cup of ice.

Consistent theme was that no one cared. All staff were pretty rude and even when they did try to help, it was truly just lip service. They passed off responsibility for anything to someone else and appeared incredibly lazy. We have stayed in hotels around the world at all costs and are willing to pay for what we receive, however we have never experienced anything such as this, even at hotels that would be considered cheap - which this is not. Very, very sad as the hotel has potential. Would recommend you stay anywhere but here, unless there is a complete and total overhaul of all staff and some expectations set for appropriate and minimal customer service.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
La Jolla, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

Located in Coconut Grove, my husband and I stay at this hotel every year for a local event. It's a nice hotel, however, not the greatest. Their standard room is a spacious suite with a king bed, small table, chair and hot tub on the outdoor patio which you can pay about $40-$60 to fill. Marble/tile floor and large double vanity sinks. However, the standard room rate is about $250 per night, not including breakfast, so for single travelers, this is more money and space than they really need. The staff were friendly and helpful, although the elevator as always, is very slow to settle on a floor and open it's doors. On a good note, the event dinner we had, surf and turf, petite filet and 3 jumbo shrimp, was better than the famous french restaurant a couple blocks away. I would definitely eat there again. Not sure though if it was the hotel restaurant food, or if it was catered. It's common for weddings to be held in the center atrium as it is green, lush and beautiful, almost tropical. Although we paid for the largest corner suite, the bedding wasn't as soft and luxurious as I've had in other hotels. In addition, the pillows were small-average size, which is unusual for a King bed. They almost seemed smaller than average pillows. Also, there was some construction going on below my room on a day that I was trying to nap to recover from a bad head cold. The window panes are single pane and it was so loud, it didn't seem like there were even windows between myself and the road below.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade. If they aren't full, they may give you one.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
West Hollywood, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

We visited the Mayfair Hotel & Spa recently and were very impressed with the friendliness of the staff and ambiance of this hotel. The rooftop bar (and pool area with private cabanas) was incredible! We were there in the evening for a pre-dinner cocktail and what a view. It was warm, so the fireplace was more for show than any heat needed.
We asked to be shown a guest room, they were recently renovated and look fresh, although one of the rooms we saw was lacking the outdoor soaking tub on the balcony. Love the privacy and flowers on every patio!
We had dinner in the restaurant and enjoyed the food and attentive service. The filet was so tender and tasty, not mealy like others I have had recently. If you are looking for a great hotel close to restaurants and shopping, this is it! They also had a gorgeous ballroom on the 2nd floor and the gardens and waterfalls in the central atrium lobby are wonderful for an urban hotel oasis.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Santa Rosa Beach, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

I travel a great deal and find this review to be one the hardest I’ve written. In some ways this hotel is great. In others its awful.

1) Check in. (look at your room first) some of these rooms are old and worn out. The front desk was FAR from friendly. In fact I was lucky they even helped from the attitude we got. We got to our room and I found cracked tiles and an overall worn out appearance. It was rough yet clean. F for hotel. A for housekeeping. The next day I looked at 7 rooms and finally (at the end) they put me on a good one that was quite, clean, and cared for.
2) Breakfast. One of the very best we’ve had at a hotel. Its wonderful. The only meal we ate at the hotel and had the same server every am. Great food. I suggest sitting in the front of the restaurant with the doors open. A+
3) The gym is a joke. The bigger joke is I had to ask 3 people as to its location and didn’t get a correct answer once. Dump luck helped me find it.
4) The pool. Rooftop, Beautiful. How do you get to it? Ill let you figure that out and don’t count on the front desk to help you…lol. The service at the rooftop pool is GOD AWFUL! If you want pool service stop now and go to another hotel. We had to get up and chase service 75% of the time. When you get it your gonna pay! Prices are typical for Miami. Overpriced. Food is good (note breakfast place is cooking) service is a nightmare. Like they hired a pretty bar tender and several thugs to assist. Note to hotel: if your staff once worked for NASA and they hate the idea of serving guests than maybe you should fire them so they can return to NASA.
5) The GM. Called twice. No response. Enough said!
Recap: A good room is very nice, comfortable, and clean. Excellent food and restaurant service. Beautiful pool and awful service. Rude hotel staff with ultra helpful housecleaning staff. A clean hotel.
Are ya dizzy yet!

Room Tip: Look at your room before you take it. Tell the pool bar tender that you require service all day and...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Jamaica
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

I had read so many reviews about this hotel, but not being a cookie cutter person I thought the hotel would be interesting, how bad can it be? Well I have written many review on trip advisor but this is probably going to be the longest as "something is just not right with this hotel." I am not sure if the staff is trying to sabotage the hotel, however the problem has to be with the management. Let me start from the beginning.
1. Called to confirm my reservation from abroad, the person on the phone says, okay you would like to CANCEL your room, so I speak louder and say no I am trying to CONFIRM the reservation (since it is an international call I can only assume they did not hear me). The person at the other line starts telling me that I do not need to speak in such manner and continues to give ME a tongue lashing.
2. Arrive at the hotel, the first front desk person is not sure what to do with a private condo guest versus the regular hotel guest. This theme continues for the next four days.
3. Try to make a call from the room the front desk and the operator tells me to dial 9 and 1 for a local number, it takes two days for someone to say oh dial only 9. Also the line needs to opened.
4. True what the other reviewer stated that a lot of the staff seem like they do not want to speak English.
5. The room although nice design, needs a REAL CLEANING.
6. The pillows smell like mill dew
7. The patio floor has not been really cleaned in a long time, layers of dirt were on floor, not just the simple dirt that comes from the wind blowing on the ground.
8. Called for the room cleaning at 2 p.m. the person on the phone shouted at my husband and said they work until 5 p.m. He was shocked that was the response. How about sorry we have not reached your room as yet or something more pleasant than how dare you call, we have up to 5 o'clock to clean your room.
9.I was at a medical conference, and they provided lunch one day in boxes, they also provided drinks. I took up too bottles of water and went to eat my lunch. One of the staff RAN me down the hallway to say that his manager said I needed to give back one of the bottles of water. I said "you must be kidding." I do drink a lot of water and the bottles are not very big, also there are a lot of drinks, including sodas and so on still on the table. He insisted that I return the bottle of water. When the lunch was over, there were at least 20 bottles still left on the table. I paid almost $1,000 to attend this conference and this crazy hotel did not think I could have two bottles of water!!!
10. Asked a lady at the desk downstairs when does the pool open she said at sunset and sunrise. So I asked exactly what time, she says it varies, when the sunset and the sunrise. Came back an hour later and asked someone else, they said 8 o'clock.

The good points-
The architecture
The guys at the valet parking
The heated pool on the roof is a must!
This hotel has good bones, but the service with the exception of a few is terrible. I can only blame the management. Most of the staff seems not to be trained and not informed. They speak to you in any manner they feel like. I have been writing reviews for trip advisor for years and have never written such a long review. I left this hotel and went to Fort Lauderdale and stayed at a cookie cutter Sheraton and thought it was so nice, because the staff was polite and the room smelled good. I thought I would like the unique designs of the room and the location, but it cannot compensate for the bad service. I feel this hotel should be on one of the reality shows where they revamp the hotel.

Room Tip: Look in the room before you check in!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Fredericksburg, Virginia, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

My wife and I had a great stay. The hotel is very beautiful and the suites are very large and well maintained. My wife and i had the spa treatment and she couldn't say enough great things about it. The hotel is in a great location because it is across the street from Coco Walk with plenty of shops and restaurants. Our only complaint would be the cost of the valet parking. At $26 per day we did not use it, because you can park literally across the street in the Coco Walk garage for $12 per day. Overall great stay and would hightly recommend.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Mayfair Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!