“Great architecture, horrible service” 2 of 5 stars

Mayfair Hotel & Spa
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3000 Florida Ave., Coconut Grove, Miami, FL 33133   |
Ranked #75 of 131 hotels in Miami
San Francisco, California
“Great architecture, horrible service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

The architecture of the Mayfair is quite unique, so for architecture enthusiasts it's a must see. The rooms are also decent and mostly quiet (even in a neighborhood that can be bustling at night). However, this is far outweighed by the terrible service -- with the exception of the front desk (check in and out were both pleasant and handled professionally), all other service staff was grumpy, unfriendly and slow. We weren't even able to use the famous Japanese soaking tub because the serviceman was unwilling to fix it. Also: most of the staff can't or won't speak English (only Spanish). I would consider that a mixed blessing though; I do speak Spanish but sometimes I wished I didn't, since the conversations were rarely pleasant.

The good news is that there are plenty of meal options just outside the hotel, and there's lots of stuff to do in MIami, so you can minimize the interactions once you have been warned.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

944 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

I stayed here at the suggestion of a client (Makis Place) as they are located just across the street from the hotel in the CoCo Walk property. This place has everything I love in a hotel and more. Staff were delightful and helpful. From the moment I checked in with the lovely carved wooden entry doors to the Bali/tropical themed lobby (my impression) and on to the room where each room has a name and a wonderful carving on the front. The room was spacious and had everything from a wonderful bed, desk to work at, sitting area and table with 2 chairs, lighted closet with nice big mirrors on the outside doors, bathroom with double sinks, lots of mirrors, shower that can be hand held, makeup mirror, TV int the bathroom and a wonderful patio that is shielded from the street by large palms and other tropical plants. I came in and took a nap on the large lounger on the patio when I checked in. I love this place and will be back.

Room Tip: This place has it all and if you can make time (I had to leave early the next day for meetings) try...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Washington, DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013 via mobile

I love the pace of Coconut Grove, so wanted to try out this modern and a little eclectic hotel just steps from CocoWalk. I felt a bit like I was in Scarface staying here - there's a certain '70s vibe that he bright orange accents in the decor don't quite make up for. But you definitely had that tropical "I'm in Miami" feeling staying here. The room was HUGE, too big for my taste, actually, and it didn't feel completely clean. The open air concept courtyard brought in dirt/dust and I had black feet bottoms every time I stepped into the shower. I also had a problem with some mosquitos. However, the rooftop pool area made up for any of the room's shortcomings, and the valet was always very prompt when getting my car.

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Jacksonville, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

Although the majority of the staff was attentive we ran into a couple annoying situations during our 1 night stay that made me glad that I was only there for 1 night. Our friends had stayed here before and loved it so we booked this hotel over the Sonesta Hotel and Suites. That hotel is around the corner with a much better view, location, and decor (I went and checked it out when I ate at the Peacock Garden Cafe...which was yummy I must add.)

Cons

-Said we would have a view...NO VIEW...do any of the rooms have views?
-Bathroom has a very awkward size tub to get in and out of and plus the shower head was awful!
-Elevators are extremely SMALL and SLOW, so it takes a while to get to and from your room
-Then top that off with valet and bellhops TAKING FOREVER or not even showing up for that matter... EVEN THOUGH we called 30-40 minutes in advanced. I ended up grabbing my stuff and loading my own car.

Pros

-Mattress was comfy
-Rooms and spacious (mini suites)
-Location is decent
-Nice "continental" breakfast
-Oh and the waiters at the Spartico restaurant were super sweet

**I didn't get to check out the restaurant during the evening and the pool since I was there just for the night however I heard it is really 'nice."**

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Seattle, Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

The location was excellent. You can walk to shops, restaurants and the beach. The room is large and has a nice bathroom but the room nothing special. The deck had a saggy dirty couch and something blue and sticky was on the wall above the hot tub. The employees were not friendly or helpful. Read the fine print. The room has a private hot tub but they charge an extra $65 to use it and it will take them an hour and a half to get it ready for you.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Montreal, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

My family and I stayed in this hotel for four nights and lets just say it was far from great. We walked into the room and the smell was overpowering. It smelt very musty and all of our clothes smelt after we left. We visited another room to see if there was this awful smell but it seemed to be the same. There was no lighting in the room except one lamp on the night table and one near the door, making the room very very dark. The rooms were also not sound proof and we woke up everyday at 7am to young children screaming in the hallway. Our room was only cleaned in the late afternoon and the cleaning staff were not friendly. Some positive aspects are it was very clean, the room was big, had an amazing location, great pool, and the front desk staff/valet were very friendly.

The best aspect was the location but my family and I will not be staying at this hotel again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
St. Asaph, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

Stayed at this hotel December 15th 2012 prior to our cruise we stayed in the Scarlet Suite. Quick check in lovely reception area and in a great location just over the way from coco walk where there are lots of restaurants, shops etc.Room was delightful and extremely comfortable bed high quality sheets and the softest bath towels ever wonderful large, clean well appointed bathroom. Room was very large and spacious plenty of room for a family of four, nice outdoor sitting area with a hot tub. No complaints it is a lovely hotel but did not try out the restaurant. Would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to Mayfair Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!