“Terrible Hotel by all accounts-Run away” 1 of 5 stars

Mayfair Hotel & Spa
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3000 Florida Ave., Coconut Grove, Miami, FL 33133   |
Ranked #75 of 131 hotels in Miami
New York City, New York
“Terrible Hotel by all accounts-Run away”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

First know I am a global corporate event planner, an expert in hotels and service.

I just stayed at the Mayfair during hurricane Sandy. I booked 4 people on a business trip-Sat-Mon and had to extend as couldn't get back to NY for a week. Instantly asked-upon check in for my and my sisters room to be moved as they were gloomy. We asked to share a room to make it easier. The next day had to call housekeeping at 3pm when our rooms weren't made up, we left at 6AM. Got rude excuses for an answer. Had to go back down to front desk at 3pm-to find out about new room on day 2- then we were finally moved.

Noise from neighboring cocowalk goes on till 4AM. Got woken up by a fire alarm at 3AM, 2 nights in a row had to go outside in a robe,NO HOTEL PERSONNEL ever came to greet us or let us know what was happening- guests were left to figure it out.No apology when reported.

Assistant manager quitting today-no shock. She told me she did me a favor by extending my rate, that I was entitled to, during a disaster in my state (where I had to get my mother picked up and transported from her house in NY, while me, my sister and father were in Miami worried sick). The hotel couldn't have cared less that we had a disaster in NY.

Not one day were the hotel records re: our stay, correct, example ate lunch at the pool- waitress couldn't charge our room on day 2, said the front desk told her we had checked out, we were there for 6 nights. The hotel double charged us for the room on day 2 even though we switched to one room(and asked to be switched immediately)and extended all 3 rooms for a week-hotel manager Axel insisted we be double charged!! THE AUDACITY. They charged many credit cards even though they repeatedly were told its all going on one card and still have not reversed the charges.

The manager Axel has not bothered to call me back I've left 4 messages!!!!!!!!

The front desk staff promises you whatever you want to hear, does nothing. You have to check back 10 times. I blame management.
The restaurant bar closes at 11pm, no where to entertain business guests and it is a large hotel.

The only bright spot are the valets, they are the only ones on top of their jobs and they are the concierges-even though they are not paid to be.

Finally as I was complaining about all of this & more at check out, I spied a honeymoon couple who had just arrived, and the hotel had cancelled their reservation and never informed them...

Run from this place.

Room Tip: over indoor courtyard only
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
MayfairMgr, Guest Relations Manager at Mayfair Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, November 23, 2012
Dear Dara22,

I apologize for the inconveniences however as a travel professional you are aware of the cancelation policies which are disclosed and accepted upon making a reservation. We strive to make each guests stay a memorable experience, however as you know a room cannot be canceled at 8pm for the same night. We do have flexibility however when the hotel is sold out we are unable to just cancel since the room was held for your arrival during the past several weeks and other reservations were rejected. Our Housekeeping Department does work every single day from 9am to 4pm and our service which is rated by the highest standards is provided in sections, we always dispatch the team to various priority rooms however in your case no call was received. I do apologize for not meeting your expectations however your request to cancel one room was handled according to the accepted hotel policies.

946 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012 via mobile

Wife and I stayed at the Mayfair in Coconut Grove for 4 nights in November. Overall the hotel was fine and some ways great but many ways she falls far short of the goal. Its short comings werent from any great deficiencies but minor annoyances adding up to stop it from being a great stay.

The Good :Ambience, Front Desk Staff, Location, Funky feel to the property.

The Not So Much: Completely Unengaged Pool Staff, Sub Par Housekeeping, Elevators.

I would reccomend the Mayfair but it has some issues (lackluster service, absent housekeeping, age of property and wear). None were horrible but they were very noticeable. Might give it another try but more likely I would look for an alternative.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Tommyboy-YVR

We are happy to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us and were able to explore the beautiful Coconut Grove. I am pleased that our Front Desk Team was able to engage with you to make a difference, in regards of our pool staff, please rest assure that I will speak to the team and share your comments.
Nashville, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

I knew the hotel was unique before I even entered it. On the outside it is covered in vines and almost resembles a Mayan ruins or something. When you enter the hotel and walk about the lobby floor there are plants, pools and fountains everywhere. It is an open aired hotel too so you can look up at the sky even from the lobby. Very earthy hotel, and I believe each hotel room door has its own custom design and room name. Thankfully my room had a typical classy design and layout, and the room and bathroom were about as big as you can get from any hotel without upgrading. The room also had a balcony which had a padded bench and (to my surprise) a small hot tub! The balcony overlooked the street below but you had privacy due to the wooden framing, which was also covered in vines.

The only drawback to my stay was there was a lot of noisy construction going on in the street below, but it did stop in the evening. However, in the middle of the night I woke up to the sound of someone vacuuming. I called the front desk to complain and I’m assuming it was a guest and not housekeeping, but it went on and off for awhile and I was never able to sleep well after that. After dinner I also tried to go up on the balcony that apparently the hotel is known for but it closed at 8pm. Overall though it was a nice hotel with very spacious and generous rooms, and created a unique experience, as if you were in a jungle or the Mexican Rivera instead of the hustle and bustle of Miami.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear Hopethisreviewhelps

We are thrilled that you have enjoyed your stay with us, the property is defiantly unique and the team works very hard to make a difference every single day. I apologize for the city side walk project which created some noise interruptions. This project will be done in November and is part of the re-launch of Coconut Grove. The area is experiencing some major improvements which will only make this destination more desirable.
Tulsa, Oklahoma
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

My husband and I stayed here November 2012 for our 17 yr anniversary. The hotel is very unique and beautiful. The front desk people aren't the friendliest. That's your first impression. The valet guys however are very nice and so are the housekeepers. The rooms are nice enough. We stayed in a king suite. The soaking tubs have 30 fee to fill but they only last 4-5 hours. The honor bars are pretty expensive but very convenient. The beds are comfortable. Had a huge tub! Good shampoo/cond. The first night the pool was closed for a private party. We ordered 2 mojios and they cost 30 for both on the rooftop. Welcome to miami!! So everything was great until night. The noise from the street/balcony was very loud. But it was the noise from the hallways that kept us up til 4am every night. Make sure your room is no where close to the elevator. We tried to get a late 3pm check out and the unhelpful front desk tried to charge 80! We really enjoyed the spa. Ask for Eric for a massage! He is wonderful!!! The spa really made our trip! $140 for 60 min massage. Location was great.. Right outside of coco walk. Movie theatre, tons of shops and restaurants right outside. I wouldn't stay here again due to lack of customer service, they want to charge you for everything, and the noise. Next time will go right to key west!

• Stayed November 2012
Dear Webuyuglyhouses,

We are pleased to hear that you have enjoyed our wonderful and oversized suites and have noticed the excellent cleanliness which we are especially proud of. I do apologize for the noise coming from the street. This project will be done in November and is part of the re-launch of Coconut Grove. The area is experiencing some major improvements which will only make this destination more desirable.
Newark, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

The Mayfair is a triple threat to every other hotel in the U of Miami area. It's the perfect distance to the University, the perfect poolside ambiance & beautiful woodwork carvings everywhere, walking distance to the vibrant Grove with its shopping & wonderful eateries. The suite rooms are spacious and well appointed, loved the bathroom, plus each room had a private patio with a hot tub. The staff bent over backwards to help us and couldnt have been more considerate. We have stayed there twice now and felt very pampered, (in between all the college visit running around). Didnt try the spa but plan to on our next trip. Since we plan to return again and again and again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear nuttree125,

Thank you for your kind comments. We are proud to be one of the few preferred hotels of the UM and our long lasting relationship is based on the excellent product and outstanding customer service the Mayfair is know for. Please allow us to be at your service during your next visit to Miami.
New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

If you want to relax at the pool on a Sunday after a late Saturday night, this is NOT the hotel for you. I was so looking forward to lounging at the pool the day after a wedding and much to not only my chagrin, but practically all the guests lounging around, a dj started playing the loudest, most annoying club music. Yes, I understand the hotel is trying to cash in on a craze where people hang out and drink and dance all day, but when the only person dancing is the dj's girlfriend something should be changed. And don't bother asking it to be lowered - they lower it for 2 minutes that it's back to top volume. And also don't bother complaining to the front desk: I never in my life met so many women with no facial expressions who didn't seem to care. This was a great disappointment.

Also, if you have a long dress - good luck in hanging it up as there is no place for that as half the closet space was eliminated for a fridge, microwave and safe.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear jw909,

Thank you for your recent comments. The Mayfair Hotel and Spa is known to be an oasis of tranquility and the place to rejuvenate after a busy week. I do apologize for the louder music; our DJ is here to create an ambiance to our pool and day lounge. He is instructed to play relaxing and background music that will turn our rooftop into a relaxing Oasis, on occasions guests request certain songs which we try to accommodate. I apologize for this request which does not meet our standards, I encourage you to once again experience our Above Mayfair Rooftop Lounge so you can rest assure of what our standard is.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

We recently stayed at the Mayfair for a family function. The location in Coconut Grove is excellent - within walking distance to shops, dining, parks and a local trail. This property seems a bit confused in what it wants to be. It bills itself as a boutique property, yet the personal touches and service were lacking. The structure itself is beautiful, but the people who staff it are generally detached and impersonal. Upon arrival, we were barely acknowledged, much less greeted by the valets, bellhops, or front desk staff. For the remainder of the weekend, interactions with hotel staff were professional, yet extremely aloof.

The room was large with a lot of open space, but a bit odd in arrangement and decor. The mattresses, pillows, towels and linens were all extremely comfortable. There were ample electrical outlets and an accessible power strip for charging personal devices. The bathroom is equipped with a large diameter rainfall shower head.

That being said, our balcony view looked directly onto the wall of a neighboring building. There was a large crack running the width of the full length mirror in the bathroom. There is ample room to hang shirts in the closet, but the remainder of the closet space is occupied by the in-room hospitality mini-fridge (fully stocked), microwave, in-room safe, and iron/ironing board. There was an upright piano in our circa 1972 brown and orange sitting room.

The hotel property itself was attractive and inviting. The atrium, lobby, and hallways were all lovely and well-kept. The rooftop pool was small and somewhat shallow, but warm and clean. Overall it was a comfortable stay, but given the lack of warmth and service from the hotel employees, I probably wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear jaj14,

We are pleased to hear that you have enjoyed your recent stay with us. Please note that we have since employed a new Director of Front Office whose main focus is to train our staff in engaging and servicing our clients. I would love to have you back here at the iconic Mayfair Hotel and Spa and personally experience our new service culture. You will not be disappointed.

Been to Mayfair Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!