“good hotel in coconut grove , but expensive for an outside miami beach hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Mayfair Hotel & Spa

Save Saved
You added Mayfair Hotel & Spa to your Saves list
Mayfair Hotel & Spa
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3000 Florida Ave., Coconut Grove, Miami, FL 33133   |
Ranked #75 of 131 hotels in Miami
st barth
“good hotel in coconut grove , but expensive for an outside miami beach hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2012

We took like last time a deluxe double suite. The room is very big , and confortable , but they are a lot of little things that each time drive us crazy !! button to switch on or off the light etc .. you have to get in the big bathroom and get wet even if you just want a bath and not a shower .. the interior very zen is nice to see and the swimming pool on the roof nice, but it closes to early to really enjoy it .. you have a little mall in front of the hotel , nice but very small. It's a nice place to stay but you need a car to move.

Room Tip: Deluxe double suite are good but don't take the jacuzzi on , it's so small that all the show...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family

945 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2012

Excellent Hotel with good service. A full time concierge would be helpful.
Breakfast in Serpico inside the hotel was of the highest standard and we were made very welcome and well served by Avry Velarde.
Hotel facilities were good and the location is excellent.

Plantation, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2012

We checked into a parlor "suite". What a joke. It looked like the leftover storage closet, with worn out furniture that reminded us of old rattan patio furniture with new cushions. There was food stuck to the rattan, the "suite" smelled of mildew, there were no movies in the bedroom, to watch something, you had to sit in the living room on the uncomfortable, worn out stuff. The ceilings were so low it made you feel as though you were walking into a room with 7 foot ceilings, (standard ceiling height is 8 feet). The closet door was placed so that putting your clothes in it was difficult, there was a support column in the bedroom that you had to walk around to get to the bed. Work had been done in the room and it had a patch job on the wall that was left unfinished. They just stuck a couple screws into plywood and covered the hole. Called the front desk, they kept saying they would call back in a couple minutes, we finally grabbed out suitcases and left. Drove down the street and stayed at a competitors hotel.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
West Palm Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2012

My husband and I absolutely LOVED staying for a weekend at this hotel!!! It was a very charming and tranquil place from the moment you enter the lobby, yet just outside you are amidst the always happening atmosphere of Coconut Grove...one of the most fun places in Miami.
You can walk to everything in "the Grove" so you don't need your car...and we parked across the street at the outdoor Coco Walk shopping plaza (with movie multiplex) for only $10 per day when you pay cash.
The hotel's live bamboo gardens & waterfall in the center atrium of the hotel as well as all the lush plants and landscaping everywhere make you feel like you are on a tropical island. We had total privacy on our balcony room which had a Japanese hot tub, because of all the lush plants. We loved the decor, the granite floors and the aromatherapy bathroom amenities were top notch.
The rooftop bar and pool area (salt water!) with cabanas is fabulous! A great place for a cocktail at sunset. The pool is big enough to do laps & on a Monday morning we were the only ones there.
We had dinner at their restaurant...food and ambience was excellent with a free glass of wine for each of us, courtesy of a coupon from the hotel in our room.
We will definitely book this hotel again...next time we will try the spa. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
San Francisco
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2012

The Mayfair is a mixed bag. Too old to completely renovate but of what money they have, they try their best.

The Mayfair doesn't compare well and can't compete with newer hotels in the Miami market. The layout is strange; it is, basically, a hotel from the 80's. But it is 4 star in many ways. You will be comfortable and we found it very quiet and enjoyable for sleeping. Rooms are large, if a bit dark.

Some things, like the rooms, are well kept. Others, like the fitness facility, are not. We did not eat in the hotel but those street level venues looked very good and that is probably where the management is spending money.

They do sell through Hotwire/Expedia and that's good. At a discount ($215 per night) it is a reasonable value. You have other choices if you can spend more.

The location is great. In Coconut Grove, there is a complete shopping, dining and movie area across the street. Parking is expensive.

Chandler, Arizona
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2012

My husband and I chose the Mayfair Hotel and Spa to round out our honeymoon trip after a Caribbean cruise out of Miami. This was the 3rd time I'd stayed at the Mayfair. The first 2 stays happened about 5 years ago (July 2007) and I liked it enough to try it a 3rd time, even after reading a lot of bad reviews on the decline of the hotel. Let me just say that the hotel was in need of updating back in 2007, however, at the time, I found it to be fairly clean and enjoyable nonetheless and the prices were fair, given the wear. In my mind, the two main things this hotel has going for it is 1) location in beautiful Coconut Grove and next to CocoWalk. 2) private balconies with nice hot tub. Any other hotel with a in-room jacuzzi would cost considerably more and hotels in South Beach are also far more expensive. HOWEVER, Mayfair--you seriously need to update this hotel!! It doesn't even need a major overhaul--a fresh coat of paint, new accent pillows, bedspreads, and furniture cushions would do wonders AND your housekeeping staff need to take some time to do DEEP cleaning. Corners, highs and lows, and some freshening to reduce the high Florida humidity musty smell. The rooms are spacious, I've never had a problem with the cleanliness of the hot tub except to say that they charge for filling (that's fine--I can live with that) but if that's the case and we're staying 2 or more days, please ask if we want it re-filled the next day when it's cleaned!! I also love the bath products and the nice TV's but my main issues were the horrible musty smell, overall dirtiness in the "not so obvious" spots, and the general wear and tear of the room, including "rain" shower head which was so old and clogged that only half the holes were clear to spray. As much as I really was rooting for this hotel due in large part to the unique rooms and gorgeous atrium, I was disappointed and won't be back unless I hear they've updated. If they do that, I'd be back for sure. I did report the smell to the front desk and they were very attentive and sent housekeeping/maintenance to try to fix it but all they did was re-clean the floor. This did very little but I appreciated the effort. Offering me a different room might have made a bigger impression on me and would have made my stay a lot more enjoyable.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that's not facing another wall in an upper floor. I, personally, like the ones fa...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
gbersier, Manager at Mayfair Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, February 27, 2012
Good afternoon,

I want to thank you for the feedback provided, I am happy to tell you that currently we are working in different projects like painting all of our hot tubs, crystallizing all the marble floors and counters, we are currently selecting all new bedding and upholstery for the rooms. I have discussed the cleaning issues with our Executive Housekeeper and his staff. I also am addressing the humidity smell with our Director of Engineering. Unfortunately we were oversold on the days you stay with us and most likely the front desk did not have many options of offer you a room move.
I hope to see you back at the Mayfair once all the upgrades have been completed. I expect to have all completed by the end of April beginning of May.
I hope you can give us another chance to service you.

Gloria Bersier
Director of Rooms Operations
Mayfair Hotel and Spa
Omaha, Nebraska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2012

Just stayed at the Mayfair Hotel & Spa in February 2012 for 3 nights.
The room was very spacious and the bathroom as well.
On the very private balcony they had a hottub/jacuzzi.
The hotel is located in a great neighborhood. Right across from the hotel is Cocowalk shopping center.
The hotel has a pool & bar on the roof terrasse which was very convenient. Breakfast was included with our corporate rate and it was served in the adjacent Italian restaurant (next to the lobby). It was served buffet style and had everything one needs.
The hotel staff & restaurant staff was very friendly & polite.

I loved the very tropical look / design of the hotel. Lots of neat detail to the architecture. I would definitely go and stay at this hotel again.

The only downside was the noise level at night...I sleep with ear plugs, but I still could hear the music / karaoke singing(???) from a bar close by... I never really figured out where the music actually came from. (We stayed in room 440 - the Mallard Suite)

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Mayfair Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!