“Pleasantly Surprised” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Montreal, Canada
“Pleasantly Surprised”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2013

I booked this hotel through Hotwire, and although I have never been dissapointed booking this way, when the familiar names (Hilton, Westin, Sheraton, etc) didn't appear I was admittedly a touch nervous.

This was all for nothing! The hotel is gorgeous, situated less than ten minutes which was perfect for me since I was on a layover to Liberia, Costa Rica. The room was lovely; modern, luxurious, amazing view and all the creature comforts. The night I was there there was a free bbq with wine for the guests to get to know one another and a well rounded breakfast in the morning. Their shuttle service, one of the few hotels in the area that provide it, will not only shuttle you to and from the airport but also anywhere withing a 3 mile radius.

My only regret is that I wish I had stayed longer to be able to enjoy all the amenities they offer such as a gym, swimming pool and bar.

Green Features: I was there such a short time, I can't say that I noticed beyond the regular notices to please re-use towels and sheets where possible. They also have a light feature where you can turn off all the lights in the room from the switch by the door.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo

530 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
costa mesa, ca
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2013

My family and I stayed here before we went on our Carnival Cruise.

The room was nice, modern, clean. We all liked the place. Kitchen was nice, they only had 1 single serving package of caffeinated coffee. The other 2 were decaf. Wish they had enough for the 4 of us. Later I found out they have free coffee in the lobby. Bathroom looked clean, nice big bathroom with a long vanity sink. big shower with 2 different shower heads. loved it. Ours didn't have a hair dryer, it was supposed to, so I asked the front desk and they said I was supposed to have it. I let them come in to the bathroom and check for themselves. They were nice though.

Us "kids" didn't use the sofa bed, just slept on the couch which was comfy.

free Breakfast was good. We loved the shot glasses full of mango smoothies. delicious and looked fancy! sausages were disgusting to me and had a weird texture. They have a cool toaster convater belt. Their passion fruit was wayyyyy too sweet, I couldn't even drink more than a sip of it. They have an awesome cappucion machine!! it's fresh and you get to pick what kind of drink you want and they make it. loved it!! they only have it in the morning.

free shuttle from/to airport, no free shuttle to port. we returned our rental car the same night we rented it, so we didn't have to pay for overnight parking there.

Waiting for the shuttle to pick us up from the airport took foreverrrrr. There is no one out in the shuttle area, so it's a bit scary. We were there at night with no one around but the taxis. 30-40 min. later our shuttle arrives.

overall we'd stay here again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Chicago, IL
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013

Many problems with this hotel.

First of all, we waited almost 45 minutes for the shuttle from the airport (5 min away). When the driver finally came, the van was very hot (this at night), and three of his buddies were riding along talking loudly and singing. Just what we wanted.

The place is not near anything else, so forget about going out for a meal. It is surrounded by a sturdy fence and electric gate, so that tells you something about the neighborhood.

The rooms are small and very sparse. Ours smelled horribly of disinfectant. The AC will not take a setting below 68, and at 68 it is still too hot in the room.

The wifi is free, but extremely slow.

Nothing really to recommend about this place. Avoid it.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
M_Cartin, Starwood hotels at Element Miami International Airport, responded to this review, December 23, 2013
Thank you for your review. We appreciate your feedback on your recent experience at our hotel and can assure you we value our guests thoughts as they help us improve our hotel to make our guests’ experience better every time. We apologize for the inconvenience of having to wait longer than expected for the shuttle service. We will be sure to pass this information along to ensure it does not happen again. As for the neighborhood, I can assure you it is safe and we only have the fence as a precaution. We also appreciate the feedback on the location, Wifi and AC.
Winston Salem, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2013

I was getting married on a cruise and we booked this hotel for the day before the cruise so we could spend time in Miami. I was told there was a shuttle to the ship. We were told we could have early check in. We got to the hotel around 11 am I knew it was probably too early to check in but I tried any way. They said it shouldn't be too long and we could use the shuttle to go somewhere to get something to eat and could leave our luggage there. We went out to eat there wasn't really anything near by that we wanted. We got back around 1:00pm and were told the room still was not ready. I asked about the shuttle to the port and asked if there was one early because we needed to be there at 10:30am to get ready for the wedding. "I'm sorry we do not have a shuttle to the port, you will have to take a taxi." This got to me a bit seeing how that was one of the main reasons I booked. I told them we would sit in the lobby which can be seen from where he was standing and asked if he could let me know when we could get into our room. I gave my number in case he didn't wanna talk loud to get my attention. After sitting for a couple hours of being bored I walked back over and asked if it was ready. " Oh yeah of course." Don't tell me you will let me know and then just sit there! I get to the room open it up and there are people in bed and bags everywhere! At this point I want to scream. I go back down and they laughed at me and said "oops I gave you the wrong room and keys." Ok. It was a nice hotel besides the headaches. Very clean! But not a good location. I like to walk to places. Nothing was close and I don't mind long distances so we attempted to walk to a bar since the hotel did not have one. I was so nervous walking the neighborhood just didn't seem safe. But as far as the rooms go they are nice and soft beds. Just don't expect a shuttle to the port!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Macomb, IL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

I booked this hotel after speaking directly with the hotel's reservation staff. I was told that there was an airport shuttle - complimentary, free breakfast, shuttle to port - complimentary. We were leaving on a cruise the next day and since the airport and port shuttle were comlimentary, I justified the expense of the hotel since we would not have to pay for taxis. I also booked this hotel for two nights after returning from the cruise.

The airport shuttle was free and did arrive. We had requested an earlier check-in as we were getting in around 1PM. Was supposed to be "No Problem". We arrived at the hotel, which is in a semi-industrial area. We were greeted by a modern appearing building completely surrounded by a very large, secure gate operated by a keycode. We arrived at the hotel at around 1:40,our room was not yet ready and we were told to move our luggage out of the way and have a seat on the very modern and very uncomfortable sofa in the lobby. The hotel had allowed the previous guest a late check-out, so we did not get into our room until 3:45PM.

The room was large with a kitchen area, really convenient if we were staying more than one night. The bathroom reeked of urine and when I notified the front desk, they immediately sent housekeeping to re-clean. They also sprayed disinfectant, which when mixed with the other odors was overwhelming.

We took the complimentary shuttle to a nearby restaurant as the only food service is the breakfast. When finished, we called the hotel and the shuttle returned for us. I stopped by the desk when returning to ask what time the shuttle left for the port. I was then informed that the hotel did not provide a shuttle to the port,but rather contracted with a private carrier, who charged $12/person. Or I could take a taxi. Since this was one of the main reasons for booking this hotel and the paying substantially more than we would normally pay, While I was waiting to speak with a desk clerk, another guest was confirming their rate, which was more than 50% less than what we were paying. I cancelled our reservation for the two nights after the cruise and contacted another hotel.

Breakfast was good,many healthy choices: egg white omelets, several juices, breads, mango smoothies, coffee, fruit, pastries.

Check out was smooth and our taxi arrived within 15 minutes.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Vantaa, Finland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013

Very close to the airport, ~1,5 miles. Modern equipment and furniture. Spacious room with fully equipped kitchen. Very comfortable bed. Airport naturally brings some noise. Breakfast was surprisingly good - bread, wraps, yoghurt, fruits, juices, smoothies and pastries. Excellent place to accommodate for first or last day of trip - would definitely come back.

Room Tip: Facing river side is nice
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2013 via mobile

I booked this hotel as it looked modern and clean, and very close to the airport. I was only staying 1 night in transit elsewhere.
It started badly, I waited an hour for the shuttle to collect me, two phone calls to the hotel and it finally arrived. I had watched all the other airport hotel shuttles go past about 4 times in this time. I now know that the airport shuttle also runs people to restaurants (as there is no restaurant on site) so I do wonder if that's why I was waiting so long. Not ideal.
On check in I asked for a taxi to be booked to take me out (having waited an hour for the shuttle I was already late), this took nearly half an hour to arrive. Not the hotels fault, but bear in mind they do not have taxis queued.
The no restaurant on site is a bit strange, I hadn't realised when I booked, with this being an airport hotel, and nothing around locally, you would think they would offer some cooked food.
The rooms are massive. As this is an airport hotel I just don't understand the need for a kitchen in a room? But that said it was a nice kitchen. The bed was massive and comfortable. It was also quiet.
Breakfast was included and of a good standard if you are happy with more of a continental breakfast which suited me.
Overall, it was ok. I don't think it was ever going to redeem itself after the shuttle. Next time I would definitely stay somewhere else.

Stayed November 2013, traveled solo

Been to Element Miami International Airport? Share your experiences!